Heavensent: Fall From Heaven 2 Basically Done

By Kieron Gillen on December 22nd, 2008 at 10:48 am.

Get 'em! He's looking at my hexes funny. Er... not that Civ has hexes. RUINED.
I’ve been wanting to give this a proper play before blogging about it ever since Tom Chick brought its “final”-status to my attention. But that’s not going to happen until well into next year, and in the tradition of Christmas board-games now is a fine time to sink your teeth into an enormous Total Conversion for Civ 4/Beyond the Sword. So let’s blog it now, eh? As Dan Lawrence told me, you’ll find information of the latest release here and the actual file from here (Get the file at the top and Patch F a little bit down to be up to date with bug fixes). If you want to get a flavour of it, head to the inestimable Tom Chick’s in-progress Fall from Heaven diaries. Those who are confused by words should head beneath the cut to find its trailer.

, , , , .

1. Tei says:

My friends comment epic tales about this mod. Like a race that is “take over” by demons, spawning rivers of lava from his citys, in a imperialist way… and a pirates race, that can summon a water apocalipsys thanks to Tch*. If RPS like King Bounty, has to absolutelly love this mod.

2. Dominic White says:

This is, without a shadow of a doubt, the best mod for Civilization 4. The fact that it now has a whole set of plot-driven HOMM-style campaign missions on top of everything now is just icing on the cake.

Fantastic prodcution values all round. This’d stand quite happily as a full game by itself.

3. Senethro says:

I almost sent RPS this as my first write in link. Play it. Its very good.

My favorite leader, Perpentach has only one trait: Insane. Shortly after beginning the game, Perpentach gets given three traits at random which may then again change at any time. Or may not. Its difficult to tell.

And so I spend one century as Financial, Industrious and Philosophical, building up my cities and taking advantage of a powerhouse economy. Suddenly I’m Aggressive/Charismatic/Raider and declare war on my weaker neighbours in expectation of an easy victory. And then for no reason at all cruel fate dictates that I am Creative/Spiritual/Expansive and need to think up a new plan to avoid being crushed. Fortunately, Perpentach can always rely on unique units of his own design. Like the Cow-tapult.

I’m a TBS min/maxer. It takes an impressive piece of game design to draw me out of my shell and actually behave like an untrustworthy lunatic king without me even noticing.

4. James Tao says:

Ah, good to see a story about this one. It’s been my most-played mod for the last twelve months, along with a group of half-a-dozen or so friends. Multiplayer can get insane, especially considering the amount of features added, and all the races feel genuinely separate, with very different playstyles built in, something that a lot of strategy games fail at.

@Senethro
    I love Pepentarch too, actually. Very, very fun to make a culture victory with. His Mimics are brilliant too. Point them at a catapult, and suddenly they have the ability to do splash damage…

5. Gladman says:

Windows movie maker and people riding leopards? Doesn’t get much more indie than that.

6. theleif says:

If you don’t play this you’re like dead to me.

Merry Christmas!

7. Bobsy says:

Nice music. Very nice music.

I’ve heard that horn theme before… years and years ago on Interplay’s massive and weird RPG interpretation of the Lord of the Rings. Funny how things come around.

8. The Hammer says:

Awww, wow. That looked wicked. The amount of detail going into those custom models – especially the cats and dragon! – was really quite impressive, considering it’s a mod for Civ4. Gotta love the shaky cam at the start, too!

P.S. Why do all the best indie games have minotaur in them?

9. Dinger says:

Better off suppressing the trailer and just linking to Tom Chick’s piece. Chick doesn’t get very far, but he communicates the appeal. The trailer (“Will you be Lawful Good or Pure Evil. The Choice is Yours. But Beware…” Good lord. And nobody cares about hundreds of unique monsters anymore. Well, show me, don’t tell me) serves to spike my videogame prey drive and send me running for the hills. Chick’s piece? Insane clown army? Armageddon countdown? There might be something to this.

10. Hmm-hmm says:

I’d have to agree with Dinger if only because I’ve merely watched the trailer and wasn’t too impressed. Oh, yes, that last bit looked cool. And so.. familiar? Why, I wasn’t aware this was a warhammer 40k game? But it does feature the Bloodthirster from Dawn of War, which makes me wonder what Relic’d think about this. I’m afraid I may come across as a little snarky and annoyed, which I’m not. But the trailer wasn’t too impressive.

And in short: Yeah, what he said.

11. Chris says:

@Bobsy
    I’m glad I’m not the only one who recognised that tune from the old LotR game!

12. Jubaal says:

This certainly sounds interesting, I think I’ll check it out.

Does anyone know if the mods also supports play-by-e-mail?

Morph says:

I saw that Lord of the Rings film and that Balrog was a total rip off of the Bloodthirster from Dawn of War.

(yeah, that was sarcasm)

Non sarcastically, I love Fall from Heaven. Never read the developer diaries before though, thanks for the link.

14. qrter says:

I think you should keep a sidebar going on the site, Kieron, listing all the games that you post about on RPS saying you would’ve liked to play the game but you couldn’t or you will in some imaginary future, etc.

It’s almost as if you have a lot of work to do.. ;)

15. Not annoyed right now says:

Jubaal: It supports all the standard Civ IV: BtS multiplayer features.

16. Dan Lawrence says:

If anyone is giving this a go, make sure you patch up your version of BtS to the latest version from Firaxis:

Otherwise the mod just won’t work and you’ll end up having no fun whatsover. I’ve been playing this a bit this morning; the story so far:

- The proud dwarven Empire is founded near a source of delicious corn. We care only for profit, profit and booze! I have two units of warriors so I set forth to explore my new home.
    - I encounter a winged man trapped in a magic circle of ice. I have to be level 12 to enter.
    - Initial building priorities are to establish the largest possible brewery allowed by the game. Its a National wonder.
    - Both sets of dwarven warriors are clawed to death by a marauding griffon.
    - Mines sprout up all over my burgeoning empire and I discover bronze working.
    - Encounter the evil Northern huntsmen, they are rude and demand my dwarven ale in return for nothing. I refuse.
    - Bronze axes begin to be hammerd out of my dwarven smiths.
    - And just in time… the villainous northern huntsmen attack! Their packs of war wolves prove no match for my armies of Axemen.
    - I pour axemen through the northern passes falling upon the villainous Northmen with glee.
    - The North is mine! More mines are lain down…

17. PJ says:

I like the player diaries a lot. Here’s one of Auric Ulvin. He’s a man that used to be immortal but has lost power as the world warmed. Now he is trying to bring the ice age back and ascend to immortality again.

18. kenoxite says:

Finally some love to FFH2! It was about time, guys!
    Anyway, glad to see things about that mod (game?) here. A mod (game?) that rivals Civ itself. I could keep praising it forever, really.