Prices Venting: Steam Sale On

By Kieron Gillen on December 27th, 2008 at 9:07 am.

I got a WALL-E robot for Christmas. Which is awesome, but a disappointment as I asked for peace on earth between all men. What did you get, readers?
And a quick one from me too. While we really will be digging into the whole UK/US/EU pricing thing in the new year, that can wait until after Steam’s new year sale. Basically, it’s up to 75% savings off a mass of games. It’s on until January 2nd, so I suspect I’ll go through picking out the best bargains before then, but the first thing which sprang to my eye was Trials 2 – one of our 12 Christmas games – available for a mere two dollars fifty – or a quid fifty in the UK.

Honestly, at that price it becomes worthwhile just for the comic possibilites of engineering bone-breaking collisions with your rider. Go get!

EDIT: And until we do it, Savygamer runs down their fave bargains.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. markcocjin says:

I wonder how much will Left 4 Dead’s price drop six months from now?

2. qrter says:

The first thing I got myself was Beyond Good and Evil for €3,74. Lovely.

3. Schtee says:

id superpack quite tempting…but I’ve bought about half of them before at some point :(

4. pkt-zer0 says:

Honestly, I’d prefer if the prices were sorted out before the sale ends, so it seems less …dodgy. The sort of discount where a 45$ game goes on sale by having “was 60$ previously” written above its price tag.

Of course, the situation is by far not that dire, but it still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Anyhow, the bargains I’d consider notable, aside from the obvious awesome Trials 2 (BUY IT NOW):

– Opposing Force and Blue Shift are 1€ each.
    – Portal goes for 3.75€.
    – Team Fortress 2 is halved again, for 10$/10€. (You folks have no excuse for leaving the RPS server only half-full at best, now. Or maybe I’m just checking it out at the wrong time of day)
    – Bioshock for 5$/€ – if you don’t mind the “dumbed down for the console ‘tards” aspect, now’s the time to get it, if you’ve not done so already.
    – I-Fluid is going for 5$/€, too. More indies, yay.

5. Five says:

Some of these prices are crazy good.

A very merry xmas from Steam :D

6. Man Raised By Puffins says:

@ qrter: Indeed, it’s worth pointing out to anyone who wasn’t aware that seemingly all Ubisoft games on Steam are now available worldwide.

Fede says:

UK Valve Complete Pack – 39.74 Pounds
    EU Valve Complete Pack – 67,49 Euro
    UK price in EU – 41,3296 Euro

Result: disappointing

8. Five says:

With the id Superpack for €35 and the complete Dawn of War for €15 Steam has just about everything I want. If only it sold Gal Civ 2.

9. Alex says:

Left4Dead: Was €44.99, now €37.49.

Or £26.99 == €28.24 on Amazon.

10. RLacey says:

Grabbed Bejewelled, Puzzle Quest, Trials 2, Geometry Wars and World of Goo. Yay!

11. TelefonHonda says:

I got DEFCON, Heavy Weapon Deluxe, Trackmania United Forever, Trials 2 SE and Unreal Tournament 3 for 47,50€. Hooray Steam!

12. Lukasz says:

i am getting Beyond good and evil and bioshock. Wanted to get Culp Inata but frankly speaking., when will I ever play that game?
    I have simply too many games and not enough time at the moment. and GOG has some nice deals also.

13. Saflo says:

I am absolutely silly with video games at the moment and this did not help things. Enjoy the new wing on your house, Mr. Newell.

14. roryok says:

@Alex

Much as I’d love to avail of amazon’s value, they’ve stopped shipping games to ireland, as have play.com.

It’s a pain because L4D retails for €55 in shops here, or €37 on steam EU or €28 in amazon/play etc

If anyone knows another site that will ship to ireland I’d love to hear about it. In the mean time steam is the only way.

15. LewieP says:

Cheers for the link Kieron.

I would also like to add, there is no point in getting The Orange Box on Steam, even with this sale it is cheaper to just get the boxed version:
    The Orange Box, PC – £14.99 delivered

16. roryok says:

oh and by the way, BioShock = €4.99!!!! Anyone who hasn’t yet played it now has no excuse.

17. Po0py says:

Stayed up till 3am last night playing Trails 2. Really addictive game. It’s a trial and error game and some of the jumps can be insanely hard but it has that: “I’ll have one more go at it and then I’ll go to bed.” aspect. Two hrs later…

If you don’t bite for £1.50 then your quite silly young fella indeed.

Might also grab Multiwinia+Darwinia for £4.50. Seems like a good bargain.

18. Pags says:

Same as qrter, first thing I grabbed was Beyond Good & Evil for £3.50 (or something similar) as I’ve lost my disc. Will probably end up buying Trials 2 later today.

19. lobsterjohnson says:

The number of games in my steam account has made a change in my attitude regarding a missing steam feature:

Custom folders.

Before they might’ve been a convenience, now they are a necessity.

20. Rei Onryou says:

Trials 2, Heavy Weapon Deluxe and Bejewelled Deluxe are now mine for £3.50. I feel dumb for going buying crazy after the currency conversions the other week, since I could’ve saved even more if I knew there’d be a sale.

I was considering Geometry Wars and PuzzleQuest, but neither of those were more than a few pennies of saving. Right now, I’m trying to convince my Dad to get the Valve pack for £40.

Thanks again Valve!

21. michaelfeb16 says:

I’ve gotta agree on your custom folders statement. I am absolutely sick of how long and messy my list has become…and that was before buying eight games today.

22. Calabi says:

Some of the levels in Trials 2 are complete barstewards. “I’ve gotta get up that 87 degree incline?, whilst jumping? you must be mad” I think I did manage to do it after about 699 or so tries.

Mount and Blade is only half price too.

23. egg says:

Well, I just got myself Trials 2 and Beyond Good and Evil. Hooray!

I just played Trials 2 demo and was actually pleased with it. I don’t know jack about Beyond Good and Evil, but it only costs $ 7.49 and everyone seems to just love the game so I will give it a try. :)

24. mpk says:

Doom and Doom II for £1.98 just made my Christmas even bettererer :)

25. Nahkatakkimies says:

AudioSurf 4,99€
    Beyond Good and Evil 3,74€
    Multiwinia + Darwinia 7,49€
    Unreal Tournament 3 9,99€
    Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six 3 Gold 3,74€
    Total 29,95€

Too bad I just bought Bioshock for 14 euros.

26. nakke says:

It’s still fun to see the GBP being valued at around 1EUR=0.6GBP or so, when in reality it’s 0.96. Though since amazon ships games to Finland, I guess I shouldn’t whine and just buy everything from there isntead. I fully support this Steam sale, though! Will probably get WoG (SORRY FOR NOT BUYING IT EARLIER D:), GRAW 2 and Bejeweled. Maybe something else too.

27. Mogs says:

I’m not spending a damn penny on anything in these dark times. Credit crunch!

28. google bot says:

Check some of the pakage prices. X3 combo with terran conflict and reunion is $26 while just terran conflict is $30

29. PJ says:

yea, Doom 3 + expansion > id everything pack

30. I don't understand this comment system says:

For those in the US, here is a rather awesome forum post listing every title on sale, categorized by the amount off.

Also, the href tag behavior seems glitched or at least it doesn’t work as advertised.

31. Lacobus says:

Valve complete pack for forty quid!!! I’ve bought nearly all these games at some point or other but that includes left4dead which I aint got yet so it’s totally worth the extra £20 to have all these games steamified for later use.
    Thanks Kieron!

32. A-Scale says:

40 dollars is EXACTLY what I said I’d pay for Fallout. It’s time to pay the piper. Also some friends will be well pissed about l4d dropping to 38 dollars. They just bought it a couple of days ago for 50. Win some you lose some.

33. RichP says:

Anyone who doesn’t buy Mount&Blade for $15 hates PC gaming, punches nuns and children for fun, and is an all-around rat bastard.

(Or just doesn’t like medieval RPGs ;) )

34. Sam says:

Hrm. I might actually have to buy Bioshock now, then – for less than a fiver I can put up with potential SecuRom iffyness in Wine.

35. qrter says:

(Or just doesn’t like medieval RPGs ;) )

Or just has no money left. AT ALL.

Although I won’t deny my inherent rat bastardness and dreaming of punching nuns (strictly for fun) daily.

36. M_the_C says:

A good sale. Many with only a small discount, but some real gems.

I got Bioshock, excellent price, and they’ve dropped the DRM.
    I also got Space Trader (my support a minor developer purchase), not great but pretty good for £2.99, and Darkstar One for the same price. (Not quite sure why I got that one.)

37. Larington says:

Don’t know when I’m going to play them, as I’m working on an assignment at the moment* but I ended up having a quick browse and poor-chased Beyond Good & Evil (Even though I already have a boxed copy somewhere in good nick), I also picked up Tomb Raider: Underworld as I’ve heard good things about its level design and Mount & Blade, hmm, ought to go see if theres a discount on Strong Bad Season 1 now that I think about it.

Went looking for Red Alert 3 but had forgot EA is still being anti-UK on Steam.
    EDIT: And now I have Strong Bad Season 1… Won’t be short of games to play in the summer/when I feel like it.

*Except when looking here, facebook, etc. Damned Procrastination.

38. Dean says:

Telltale Complete pack for £34.19 – that’s all of Strongbad, both Seasons of Sam and Max, the two episodes of Bone and some poker game.

39. MetalCircus says:

I got me some L4D for 20 quid – i’m happy!

40. Sander Bos says:

So did anyone buy ‘beyond good and evil’ to play it for the first time? I just did and am incredibly underwhelmed. The game does not appear to have aged well or something, I just played it for 5 minutes and have no plans to start it up again (terrible graphics (also with technical problems), right into two scenes of action without context in which I appear to have no job but hit the mouse button).

Also a shame that Ubisoft’s Europoean catalog does not include Earned in Blood or Assasin’s Creed….

Only buy Trials 2 if you don’t mind being frustrated a lot (it is great actually, Kickstart 2 is back, but I still have no real clue how I am supposed to go up a long steep ramp, I bet the next game will be called ‘Trials 3: More trial and error’).

Oh yeah, and if you have never played a a brothers in arms game Road to Hill 30 is highly recommended if you want to play a FPS with dated graphics and unique controls (it was my second favorite game of last year (picked it up only then)).

41. IdleHands says:

Hm I expected someone to crack the “Ah the prices have finally been sorted on steam” joke, guess I’m the only one who thinks of such sad unfunny jokes, that’s cool with me :D

What’s not cool with me is browsing the entire Steam catalogue to find the best bargins. I already neglect enough games from November I can’t buy more! Although I did make a list;
    Audiosurf – I heard about this much much too late
    Warhammer dawn of war – Never played but heard it’s good
    ID Super pack – I know I’d never play these games, but that’s a lot of gaming history for £19
    Beyond Good and Evil

42. roryok says:

If I buy it, can I still punch nuns and children for fun?

Yours Etc
    Rat B. Astard

43. MetalCircus says:

Sander Bos are you insane? RTH30 and EiB are average at best. Mind you, I majorly enjoyed Hells Highway.

44. qrter says:

So did anyone buy ‘beyond good and evil’ to play it for the first time?

Yes, me.

I know what you mean, but keep playing on a bit, it gets better quickly (and more varied).

I wasn’t having any graphics problems until I hit the water, which seems to be a performance black hole (switching to ‘low quality’ water helps, though).

45. egg says:

So did anyone buy ‘beyond good and evil’ to play it for the first time?

I did. Is it that bad? I have been busy with Trials 2 and Darwinia, so I am yet to launch the game.

And now I think I am also buying Audiosurf. Damn!

46. MarvintheParanoidAndroid says:

I’m joining the massive crowds of people who got Beyond Good & Evil, and I imagine I’ll get Trials 2 before the sale ends. Also picked up the Civilization IV complete pack, and bought Left 4 Dead for a European internets-friend – £20 here, but it’d have cost him the equivalent of about £30, I think. Also this way he gets the uncensored version, L4D without the blood and guts just wouldn’t be worth it :(

47. Katsumoto says:

IL-2 for seven quid? SOLD! Been wanting to play this for years on end!

48. Scandalon says:

Do watch out though, some of the prices are silly… It actually costs a $1 less to buy the entire id SuperPack than it does to just get the Doom pack.

Similarly, getting the TF2+gmod pack right now actually costs MORE than if you bought the currently discounted TF2 and gmod separately.

49. Pags says:

I know that the culture of gaming nowadays is instant gratification, but stick with it for a bit and you shall be rewarded. It’s a lovely game.

Okay, so far I have bought IL-2, Trials 2 and I’m trying to get my brother to get the Valve Complete Pack so we can play some 3-player L4D co-op.

I was tempted to buy M&B again despite already having bought it (for around the same price, might I add, as I was a very early adopter) purely for the convenience of Steam. But then realised that was stupid. Still, it’s funny how a simple price drop exponentially increases your willingness to buy something.

50. Andy says:

I’ve been trying out Beyond Good and Evil, its mostly enjoyable so far but seems to break once i get outside with my hovercraft into the sea (break as in 1fps, no buttons do anything). A quick google shows that many people had this problem so I don’t know what to do really.