King’s Bounty No Longer A King’s Bounty (Briefly)

By Kieron Gillen on January 9th, 2009 at 3:31 pm.

I still feel for Alec Meer's Zombie Wife

Quick post on this one. News reaches me from staring at forums that King’s Bounty is on sale this weekend from Gamer’s Gate for twenty Euros. As much as we love the game – it’s Alec’s favourite of last year, after all - after the cheery collapse of the Pound Sterling, forty Euros is a lot for anything. At twenty it’s a total bargain. Hurrah for advanced capitalism.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. maritime says:

just bought from gamersgate, no serial number. Cannot play. stupid idiots.

2. jamscones says:

I am similarly afflicted with No Serial disease. See my anger.

3. Ginger Yellow says:

Thank Christ for that. I’ve been staring at the 1c website for the last few months waiting for the Eu49.99 (!) pricetag to drop. Luckily, they caved before i did.

Seriously, what’s up with that? Eu50 for a PC game?

4. Tim says:

sigh. me too. so disappointed. their home page says King’s bounty is the number one sale at the moment. I guess they didn’t anticipate that.

5. DeliriumWartner says:

Oh God! My dl speed ramped right up to about 600kb/s, taking me all the way to 94%. Woo, I thought. Finally I’m gonna get this. Unfortunately, it then crashed, the dl refusing to even initialize itself. When I finally got it back up, it was back at 45%, and it won’t download at all.

Also, should the CD key be there already, (presumably) under the patches? If so, count me as another one who hasn’t got one. I really hope that isn’t the case. It’d just top this whole thing off for me. What are people doing about their missing codes? Is it just as case of emailing GG to ask for it as some are trying?

6. Tony says:

I just emailed GG support describing the problem. One email won’t be a big deal but if a dozen people all point out the same problem my guess is that it will be fixed asap. GG will not want users first experience with their system to be a bad one. If you email them, then include a link to this thread. They have RPS on their front news page at the moment so they hopefully care what we’re saying.

7. Tim says:

I emailed them while I was still angry and included swearing. Now I’m feeling bad for their support people.

@DeliriumWartner I suspect that you haven’t got a cd key either. It would show up straight away.

@Tony, you’re absolutely right. It was a very bad first impression for me. I was reading their FAQ trying to figure out if I’d missed something and getting increasingly pissed off. It’s especially annoying that we all bought it excited to play it all weekend, and now we’ll have to wait a whole week before we have time. Assuming they get us keys before next weekend.

8. Larington says:

Sold! Ended up ordering the collectors edition of Red Alert 3 from game recently as that had gone to good value for money too. I’ll be glad when the summer rolls around and I’ll be able to sit down and really tuck into some of these games. Bad enough that I’ve gotten into Dwarf Fortress when I ought to be doing assignments.

9. Lighthouse says:

I have never purchased anything from Gamersgate before, only Steam and Impulse, and from the issues I have read about missing cd keys currently, I think I may wait … How does the service compare with Steam and Impulse?

Just a question: Is KB going for $20 only this weekend on GG or is this just the price it is listed for?

I have been wanting to pick up KB for a little while now, but I did not want to pay the price the publishers had originally set.

10. Jarmo says:

I bought the game from Gamer’s Gate yesterday evening. I can’t download it. Every attempt stops very soon at the error note: “Downloaded File is being used by other process. Avoid such process for a better download. Also Check Internet Connection and Firewall Settings.” The furthest I have gotten is 4%.

I have turned off my antivirus program and given the downloader all priviledges in my firewall program. I even tried turning the firewall off. No go.

I am not happy about this.

Maybe their servers are just swamped. I’ll give it another go in a few days, after the special offer madness wears off.

Somehow, I’m not very optimistic, though. Gamer’s Gate is from the same company that has never in their life released a new product that is not riddled with bugs, even mission critical ones. Now they’re doing the same old same old with sales software. My money they took right quick (it was Paypal, and Paypal works). Delivering the product? Not so quick.

11. Jarmo says:

The Gamer’s Gate downloader only manages to get these files:
    KBVistaShellSupport.dll
    ReadMe.rtf
    setup-1.ggf
    The last one keeps growing a bit with further attempts.

I was able to download the manual with no problems, though.

12. Jarmo says:

I’ve achieved progress with the download. I simply restart it from the play symbol button every time it cuts off with the error note. The download speed is fine, around 650 kb/s. The loaded amount between restarts varies between a few MB to hundreds of MB.

The setup-1.ggf file has now finished downloading at 952 MB and has changed it’s name to setup-1.bin. I’m currently at 60% total progress, setup-2.ggf is now loading.

I don’t have a serial key yet showing on the Gamer’s Gate My Games page for King’s Bounty. I don’t know if it should show before I have downloaded the game. I suspect it should. So, after attending to the downloader like to a sick infant, I probably still won’t get to play the game.

I wonder if I have to contact the company personally to get the serial key I already paid for. I really hope they notice the problem themselves and quickly send keys to all new customers.

13. DeliriumWartner says:

@ Jarmo – Those sound like the problems I had. Took til 4am, but I finally dlded it, 14 hours after starting…

And then I found that, indeed, I had no CD key either.

@ Tim – I’ve emailed customer support, and though I didn’t swear, I was quite angry and forceful. Seems to me that, no matter what, they’re disappointed a lot of paying customers here. I don’t know about you guys, but this has really messed up my weekend.

14. Jarmo says:

DeliriumWartner, just wait a long time for the download to resume. I had the same issue when the download cut off at an advanced stage. It takes a long time for the download to initialize and at one stage it showed the 45% figure, but after a while it jumped back to over 90%. The downloader probably reads the already downloaded files each time it resumes. When there are two >900 MB files to read it takes a long time.

15. Jarmo says:

Crossed messages there.

16. Funky Badger says:

Meh. Still can’t even get the Downloader working.

17. Nick says:

“I disliked the combat in HoMM, but I like King’s Bounty.”

I decalre shenanigans! The combat is near-identicle apart from the rage summoning and possibly minor cosmetics. Base syetm however is exactly the same, you can’t hate the combat in HoMM and like it in Kings Bounty without being a liar to yourself. Or something.

18. Lighthouse says:

I caved in and got the game – the price was too good to resist, especially since I have been eager to get this game after playing the demo.

That said, the client is atrocious. I have had poor speeds, the menu disappearing, the client hanging (couldn’t close it) and there are numerous features labeled with “Under construction.”

It seems as though the download client was a rushed project and not something a business would push out so early…

For a first time user, this experience has not been great, especially after using the likes of Steam and Impulse to buy/update games – even their website doesn’t feel streamlined when buying games.

Just feels like the competition offers a better service – that said, they do have a few games I am interested in that Steam and Impulse don’t offer – but I will see how this progresses before committing more towards another digital distribution market place.

I am sure I am going to run into the CD-Key issue as well, but I hope things improve in the future.

19. Jarmo says:

I am currently downloading the Adobe Reader 8 distribution package included with the game. In 1 MB pieces. Between every piece, I wait 1-1,5 minutes for new downloading to actually start while the downloader thinks about things. Then it downloads for about two seconds and stops again. Never mind the fact Acrobat Reader 8 is already installed on my PC. Amusing.

20. Jarmo says:

I finally got all the parts and installed the game. Now I just have to wait for the key. I e-mailed Gamer’s Gate about it. It will be interesting to see what their response to this debacle — and response time — is.

21. Mal says:

I must have got very lucky with the downloader – it pretty much maxed out by 10mbit connection and downloaded the whole game in about 35 minutes. Maybe they are experiencing high demand (that or a dodgy mirror server somewhere).

22. Alex Hopkinson says:

I grabbed this as soon as I got in on Friday night and I had a trouble free process – game downloaded at 1MB/s and my key was available when I came to install it. Enjoying it so far, although not as much as Alec apparently did. Thumbs up.

23. Jarmo says:

The serial number for King’s Bounty has now turned up on my Gamer’s Gate My games page. I have received no e-mail from them, but it’s good that the key is now available. It showed up pretty quick which partly mitigates the problems I had.

In my opinion, the downloader has to be fixed. The download speed was always high (>5 MB/s, the maximum speed of my connection) when it was working, but the tens of interruptions it suffered from were exasperating.

24. Heliocentric says:

The tech issues i’m hearing are all i need to know. Steam, impulse or in 5 years when it shows up on gog. It’d have to be cheaper on steam than i’d demand on impulse mind you. Portability has value.

25. Heliocentric says:

How come i can torrent massive mods flawlessly but paid services have problems? It blows my mind. Just use the torrent infrastructure with obviously optional uploads, overlay a security layer. Done.

26. UncleLou says:

“The tech issues i’m hearing are all i need to know. Steam, impulse or in 5 years when it shows up on gog”

For what it’s worth, I’ve been using Gamersgate for years without a single problem – that includes a purchase of King’s Bounty. I actually prefer it to Steam because it doesn’t have any additional DRM, and I usually have much better download speeds. Once you’ve downloaded something and have your key, that’s all you ever need.

Fair enough if the stories here put you off, but it’s not like you won’t find similar reports about Steam or Impulse.

27. Heliocentric says:

True enough, but visualise the scene. Group say “yay gamersgate lets get KB” then return “It dont work”.

Sale gone yet? i do want it. even if 20 quid is hardly a sale.

28. Heliocentric says:

ah… gone… bugger

29. Tony says:

My key-code has turned up too. Looks like someone at GamerGate came to work on Monday morning and found out the Kings Bounty key-code tank needs refilling.

30. Jarmo says:

Tony, yes. I just received an e-mail from Gamer’s Gate support: “the sales were better then expected and we ran out of serial keys for this game. We have added more keys now and you should find your key in the usual location.”

31. Funky Badger says:

They’ve sent me a link to a working copy of the downloader and I appear to have a serial key – downloading now. Good service so far though.

32. pkt-zer0 says:

Isn’t it online-activation-only SecuROM they use? Between that and Steam, there isn’t that much of a difference, you still depend on an activation server.

33. DeliriumWartner says:

Got my code and got an email, same thing as Jarmo. What annoys me is that it’s just a copy and paste, without an apology in sight. Surely we deserve more than that?

Comment on this story