Wholesale Fail Whale: Developer’s Twitters

By Kieron Gillen on January 12th, 2009 at 8:50 pm.

Fail whale! I hate you fail whale! You prevent me secretly watching Ex-girlfriends talking about going to the shops

Barnett pointed me at this, via twitter, appropriately enough. Sam Houston is maintaining a list of twitter feeds of people in the industry who don’t mind it being public. And what a list for cheery stalking. For example, we can swiftly find out that Ragnar Tornquist‘s favourite comfort movie is Lost in Translation, George Broussard‘s wondering where the Pizza has got to and Valve Software – er- want us to know that there’s some deals on Steam. Well, it’s not all stalking on there, mores the pity.

As a matter of interest, how many RPS readers are on Twitter? I’ve done a poll beneath the cut. Feel free to explain your reasons in the comments.

n
{democracy:20}

Ignore the n. It’s a bug. We can’t do anything about it, because we have a tiny brain and we’re far too busy posting non-sequiturs on our twitter account.

, .

1. Chris Evans says:

Yes I have one, and you have just reminded me that I have one :o

2. Pags says:

Third option!

I don’t have one but am thinking of getting one so as to inform me a) of album dates/leaks/etc. b) of various bloggery c) so I can irritate people.

C is the most important reason.

3. The Poisoned Sponge says:

I have Twitter, and I’m following two of the four members of the hivemind. I don’t think Walker is there, ’cause he’s scared of bird-noises, and I can’t find Jim…

Yes, I am King Stalker.

4. CitizenParker says:

I have a Twitter account mostly because my blog comes and goes, and because Paul F. Thompkins’ and Tom Scharpling’s Twitters are hilarious.

I love you too though, Brem X. I’m an American who isn’t into music though, so it’s typically beyond me.

5. cyrenic says:

I don’t have a Twitter account because technology scares me.

6. Naurgul says:

What’s twitter? :p

But seriously, I don’t get twitter. Why do people like it? It’s like the telegraph, only for the internet. Wasn’t the telegraph’s only advantage over regular mail speed?

7. Seniath says:

Twitter serves as my contact to the outside world whilst stuck in work. Also: stalkage. I go by Seniath, natch.

8. Doc MacRae says:

I’d probably enjoy it, but I can’t be bothered.

9. The Poisoned Sponge says:

I’m under ‘poisonsponge’ in case anyone wants to stalk/follow me and massively inflate my ego.

10. Jonas says:

As you are probably aware, I do in fact have Twitter, and am following you. In fact it’s through you I found all the games journos I’m stalk– following.

This list is most welcome, and will make my stalking much easier. I mean following. Thank you.

Also love the post image.

11. ImperialCreed says:

On Twitter too, for largely the same reasons as everyone else here, if I’m honest.

It seems like some strange form of stalking, but when Gillen comes out with strangeness like “I have just experienced karma, which is hard to object to. And then some extra karma, which seems just mean” how can you honestly not ignore that? :P

12. pepper says:

Dont have, dont care. Nor do i care for facebook/myspace/genericprofilewebsite. Once had such an account but got annoyed at it and deleted it. Still dont miss it.

13. Zak Canard says:

Twitter is nothing more than blogging for the text generation. Why tell the world you’re going to the shops for milk in a four part epic posting when you can do it in under 150 characters? Um, no ta. I think I’ll stick with reading blogs over twitters because quite frankly my attention span is longer than that of the average… Oooh butterflies!

14. Wildbluesun says:

Don’t have Twitter, but was thinking about getting it just earlier today, funnily enough.

If I was ever provided a large enough incentive I’d probably get it, but don’t really have a motivation right now.

15. Cigol says:

I can’t move for twitter these past few months, what’s going on?

16. Bperry says:

I actually have 2, a personal one, and one for the podcast I host.

17. hydra9 says:

Twitter seems like a tool for procrastination. If you’re following enough people, you’ll have messages popping up all time, which you might, of course, want to post replies to.

I used it for a short while, purely for myself. I kept it private and wrote things on there like ‘working on script for next two hours’ in the hopes that it would help me to keep to a routine. After a couple of weeks, I realised I’d almost stopped using it.

18. qrter says:

It’s a place to jot down a quick thought, link to something interesting/silly you come across, that kind of stuff.

It’s like anything else – it’s only as boring/bad/stupid etc. as the people that use it (chose wisely who you follow on Twitter and you will be rewarded!).

The 140 character limit actually forces you to think creatively about how you formulate something (although there’s always the possibility to spread across several messages).

Besides that, it’s also fun to see what Stephen Fry is up to in New Zealand, or what John Cleese is grumpy about.

I’m on Twitter as, guess what – qrter.

19. mandrill says:

I tweet, though sparsely, I also stalk famous tweeters like Stephen Fry and Neil Gaiman. I’ll be adding some of these to my follow list, feel free to add me to yours.

20. DERP says:

I’d get a twitter account.
    but nobody would stalk me, so what’s the point?

21. Jeremy says:

I do not have Twitter, honestly, I haven’t even looked into it. Facebook fulfills my stalking cravings. Also, unrelated to the topic at hand, have you ever considered using title in addition to alt for us Firefox users… it would be nice to see all of those fancy words behind each image.

22. qrter says:

Another one I like a lot is Y Istair, who is chronicling his escape from Vault 101 and his consequent adventures in the D.C. wasteland.

23. Radiant says:

That’s the thing: unless you are Stephen Fry or Neil Gaiman then why in the world would you think anyone would want to know if you’ve just had a bath?
    People on twitter just need to get a blog write on that for two months and then take a long hard look back at how mediocre your life is that you think I would want to read about it on an hourly basis.

24. Steve says:

No. Twitter is bad and you should feel bad for using it.

None wants to hear what you’re doing every minute of the day and how you just took a huge shit.

25. Jeremy says:

Also, while I’m talking html, that extra “n” you have may actually be a failed attempt to create a new line, maybe they just forgot the necessary “/” before it? Could just be an easy delete of an erroneous letter in the code.

26. shon says:

It all depends on who you are following. My friends twittering about how much they hate their jobs =boring. Jhonen Vasquez twittering about his post apocalyptic fashion choices= hilarious.

27. Radiant says:

Evidently yes I do hate twitter.
    It’s ridiculous I have a phone with sms and IM and I can also read email on it if I want to know what you are doing I’ll ask.

28. qrter says:

I think most people don’t really care if they’re read or not and I don’t think most people take it very seriously. Some people use it for mundane remarks, others for, as Gillen says, a non-sequitur, firstly to amuse themselves and then maybe others.

I’m guessing someone is forcing you to read their Twitter. What a bastard!

29. Katsumoto (jvgp100) says:

I’ve always thought this sounded a bit random, but what the heck, I like signing up to everything imaginable. I’m on! Katsumoto_EG! Watch me do one update then forget about it, like with everything. I’ll add some of you guys and find out how fascinating your day to day existence is! FTW

30. mandrill says:

I don’t tweet meaningless stuff, it is a method of communication, a tool for putting people in touch with each other. A way of tapping into a global hive mind with a store of knowledge and experience that no other medium can achieve.
    Yes, there are those that use it purely to tell the world that they’ve just taken a huge dump that bears a striking resemblance to Britney Spears but they can be safely ignored (unless you have an interest in such things). Some of the first eyewitness reports of what was happening in Mumbai as the gun men went their merry way came through twitter. On a more relevant note as EVE online was approaching a new PCU last night the word went out on twitter to all the EVE players that have it to get their asses online to push it over the edge, and we did too (47,207 concurrent players, on one server, beat that WoW :P)
    It is much like the rest of the interwebs; you’ve got to filter it to get at the good stuff, and the good stuff has a tendency to be really good.

31. Premium User Badge yhancik says:

As much as I love technology and the whole web2.0 thing, I can’t get to use Twitter. As said earlier, it feels a little redundant when you already have blogs, facebook, flickr, delicious, last.fm, mail, im, sms & RSS reader.

With all that I already have hard time focusing on what I’m doing…

32. The Poisoned Sponge says:

I do find it amusing that Twitter has built up this reputation as somewhere to tell everyone every time you go to the loo. It’s not a chat program. It’s there to put up thoughts and insights, and to share interesting things like news articles and videos. I don’t think I’ve ever done a ‘Now I’m doing this!’ post.

33. qrter says:

Actually, Stephen Fry does a lot of ‘Now I’m doing this!’ postingtons.

34. cliffski says:

I’m on twitter as cliffski. You old grandads need to keep up wiv what da kids do these dayz.

35. Ziv says:

I don’t have because I have nothing to do there, none of my friends know what it is. I barely know :P

36. Wallace says:

Signed up and stalking. What people are saying about filtering out the quality stuff is spot on.

37. Theoban says:

I just don’t understand Twitter. I’ve looked at it and it’s just there for you to say what you’re doing. If I started doing that it’d just be a million posts of…
    Still at work
    Still at work
    Took a dump, still at work
    Going for lunch!
    Back at work
    Still at work
    Still at work
    GOING HOME
    At home
    Still at home

and so on.

38. Jonas says:

Random hilarious Tweets of the day:

hardcasual: Best Google referrals of the week: “”leigh alexander”+boyfriend”, “game jornalism is a joke” [sic] and “do women like androgynous guys”

leighalexander: @hardcasual are you shitting me

Also I am already following Cliffski. I mean stalking. No wait I actually do mean following! Yes.

39. Dave says:

I have a Twitter account. I got bored of updating it, and even more bored of seeing other peoples’ tweets (except maybe a select few funny folk).

40. Lonesamurai says:

I don’t have a twitter account, cos I honestly dunno what one is for

41. Tei says:

I feel old now. That twitter thing feel soo ***** to me.

42. solipsistnation says:

I do. It’s what you’d think it ought to be. I only started using it since I found a text-only interface that plugs into my IRC client.

43. LewieP says:

Third option – I have one but all I’ve done is forwards my RSS to it, so it just ‘twits’ everytime I make a blog post, with a link to it.

I don’t ever really use it myself.

44. Chris Evans says:

I am ‘chrisevoevans’

45. Schmung says:

Twitter has sort of passed me by. I sort of don’t understand it, but I may indulge just so I can spy on..I mean keep track of various people and give me something to look at while I’m in work.

46. Radiant says:

qrtr I’m actually more pissed off at the girl I’ve been stalking protecting her updates.
    WHO IS YOUR NEW BOYFRIEND AND HOW IS HE ON A SCALE OF ONE TO RADIANT?

47. KBKarma says:

Twitter? Yup. As KBKarma, predictably enough.

Reason? Because

I can update using my phone, thus allowing me to stick up brief comments about the odd things I see in Dublin (such as a man with a large paper-maché Bono head the same size as Bono, or someone playing chess in the middle of the street)
    Due to the lack of markup required (and if HTML can be used, I will use it. Or try…), it’s a lot faster to post to it than LiveJournal.

I’m following Keiron, I think I gave up on the Walker, and I believe Jim’s my third target.

48. Radiant says:

ITS ME THE GUY WHO SAW YOU ON THE TUBE.
    I WAS SCRATCHING MY LEG NOT MY BALLS!

49. KBKarma says:

Also: the fact that ol tags don’t work is vaguely perplexing. Also, annoying. My post looks messy now. :(

50. qrter says:

WHO IS YOUR NEW BOYFRIEND AND HOW IS HE ON A SCALE OF ONE TO RADIANT?

I bet it’s Kieron Gillen. Read his Twitter outpourings for veiled clues.