It’s for you, Juarez: Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood

By Kieron Gillen on January 15th, 2009 at 10:54 am.

There's only room for one cowboy village people in this town.

A surprise, but a welcome one. I was one of the few reviewers who really enjoyed the ragged-but-enthusiastic Call of Juarez. And it appears that Techland (Ex-Chrome) are getting a second chance in Call of Juarez: Bound In Blood. Very few details are around yet, bar that it’s a prequel, you can play both brothers (hopefully keeping the dual-play structure of the first game) and it ranges between Aztec Ruins in South America and Civil-War era Georgia. We presume that means the American one, rather than the ex-Soviet one (Though that’d be one hell of a twist). Which Ex-Soviet states would you like to see a cowboy game set, readers? And while you think, you’ll find the press release beneath the cut.

****
DEVELOPMENT OF CALL OF JUAREZTM: BOUND IN BLOOD

New Game is a Prequel to the Successful Wild West Shooter

UK, London – January 13th, 2009 – Today Ubisoft announced that it will publish Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC in 2009. Ubisoft is again teaming with Techland to develop Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, a prequel to the action shooter Call of Juarez™.

“Call of Juarez was well received by gamers and critics,” said John Parkes, Marketing Director at Ubisoft EMEA. “We’re confident this new collaboration with Techland will bring an even bigger and better adventure to fans of shooters and the lawless Wild West.”

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood transports players from a ravaged Civil War-era Georgia to the Aztec ruins of Mexico. In the wildest West ever depicted, players can embody both McCall brothers in an intense storyline full of greed, lust and lawlessness.

, , .

1. Rei Onryou says:

I suppose Cowboy adventures in Pripyat and Chernobyl is a bit obvious, but it could make an interesting STALKER mod. Of course, Ukraine would be the best choice since they were one of the playable countries in Red Alert multiplayer, thus making them famous. Should cowboys have been featured in Red Alert 3? (see what I did thar?)

2. Nick says:

Great news, it has surprised me that the western setting hasn’t been more tapped as a rich source of gaming goodness, off the top of my head there’s Outlaws, Desperados, Gun and Call of Juarez.. there may be others but I can’t think of them.

I enjoyed most of Call of Juarez, even the Billy sections (apart from the fucking mountain.. you bastards.. make me climb that to get a *spoiler* and when I get down from that hellish bloody level design I find *spoiler*.. kick in the teeth that was).

3. Richard Beer says:

I was thinking “What ex-Soviet civil war?” and then I saw what you did there.

I don’t know about an Eastern Western, but how come there aren’t more games about the Mongols? Or the Russian Revolution? I spose that was a civil war in many ways.

4. Richard Beer says:

P.S….
    [pedantry]
    Mexico and the Aztecs were in Central America not South America.
    [/pedantry]

5. Ian says:

I’d posted about this on the Talk-o-Tron and shared the experience with a couple of others on here who, like me, liked the game but didn’t know anybody else who’d even played the thing.

I’m glad enough people did play and like it for this to get made.

6. Larington says:

Heh, theres a co-incidence, recently handed in an assignment that was comparing Chrome and Shadow of Chernobyl using a field of ludology called Game Design Patterns… Conclusion was that a major reason for the game performing worse with reviewers than Shadow of Chernobyl was that difference in level of choice presented to the player. I did enjoy Chrome back in the day, but they would’ve done themselves such a favour by putting some automatic save points into the game, you know, like at the start of each level.

7. Tim Stone says:

Most Soviet westerns are set in Siberia or Soviet Central Asia.

8. Cooper42 says:

In regards to Stalker references – isn’t that already drawing upon, or at least echoing various Western / cowboy themes?
    A ‘frontier’ of uninhabited and largely uninhabitable land; a malignant landscape by virtue of its physical properties; little good for food, and likely to be the death of the inattentive and those who get lost.
    Loosely formed coalitions which are rooted in various locations vying with one another, but internally coherent with a recognisable power structure (and one which will mark you for any transgression) whilst outside of these ‘towns’ the stalkers / cowboys constitute a largely anarchic collection of survivalists.

9. MacBeth says:

[uberpedantry]
    Mexico is actually in North America.
    [/uberpedantry]

10. Pags says:

As I said in the Talk-o-Tron, I really enjoyed playing as the Reverend Ray. I did not enjoy playing as Billy though; I would like to see the dynamic continue, but preferably in a way that doesn’t suck.

And as Cooper42 said, the post-apocalyptic genre isn’t too far away from Western themes (specifically the Leone type Western as opposed to John Wayneism); lawless wasteland, with a heavy dose of nihilistic survivalism to any and all wanderers. Hell, Fallout 3 played on that same commonality with Lucas Simms.

11. Jonas says:

This is excellent news! I loved Call of Juarez!

In fact I should reinstall it and play it again – it’s not like it’s a super long game.

Of course uh it may shave a bit off the narrative excitement that we already know which brother lives and which dies…?

12. Ado says:

Cooleo, another one to add to my list of games to get for my new 360. Always looking for new ones.

In any case, Westerns now always make me think of Fire Fly / Serenity and the Joss Wedon ‘Verse. I’m waiting in much hope that there will be either a game or good mod come out based in that setting. I so want to be a brown coat it ain’t funny. Would make for a good third person adventure RPG game me thinks, but will anyone pick it up??

13. thefanciestofpants says:

Sweet, the first one was a great romp.

Hope this one’s up to the same level.

14. Cooper42 says:

@Ado: In regards to Firefly as a game, I have my doubts. Whedon’s writing is all about small-group inter-personal dynamics in various situations. Experience of inter-personal interactions (PC to NPC) in games suggests this would be unlikely to cross over very well.

15. Cooper42 says:

The Edit function is borked…

Edit: Maybe not, maybe it’s just my browser…

16. Dan Harris says:

Have there ever been any games press releases that weren’t bland, uniform and devoid of anything actually interesting?

Also, Belarus.

17. James T says:

Crimea — Cowboys vs Tatars!

I would say STALKER’s ‘cowboy’ elements are more just a case of… convergent evolution. But that’s fun too.

18. Cooper42 says:

Yeah, I don’t think the Stalker devs necessarily had Cowboy movies in mind when they made the game. Rather, that Western and frontier motifs are not all too dissimilar to post-apocalyptical motifs.

The steppes in Russia would be a good setting.

19. Ginger Yellow says:

Aw, I was hoping they would name the sequel Medal of Juarez.

Cooper & Ado: Fox licensed MMO middleware developers Multiverse to make a Firefly MMORPG, but they announced a few months back that it was on hold. They’re now making a Buffy game as well. I’m not exactly hopeful for either of them, given that Multiverse don’t have any track record and seem to be a cheap and cheerful technology company rather than people with strong ideas about game design.

20. Turin Turambar says:

I liked the first one a lot, so good!

21. hydra9 says:

I sometimes feel like I’m in a cult, reading RPS and Eurogamer. I read a review. I buy a game. This happens with regularity.

Great review of the first game. Nice to hear there’s a sequel on its way.

22. jsutcliffe says:

I should give Call of Juarez another go. It didn’t grab me when I first tried it — it seemed pretty generic, and its ‘stealth’ was laughable — but I was all engrossed in other games at the time. Its graphics were pretty, and I like pretty.

It came free with my video card. It actually got mailed to me in a separate box, about 10″ cube filled with packing peanuts, to keep a CD in a paper sleeve safe. Way to go, packaging people.

Edit: Also, to my mind, the atmosphere in Stalker is awfully close to the movie’s atmosphere. I don’t see the “cowboy” part.

23. Chaz says:

I quite liked the first one even though it wasn’t really all that good, partly just because Wild West themed games are so few and far between. It was quite a challenging game from what I remember and some of the Billy levels were rather arduos until you got tooled up with some guns. Still I’ll look forward to playing the sequal all the same.

24. unclelou says:

it seemed pretty generic

CoJ was a bit hit and miss, but “generic” wouldn’t exactly be the first word I’d think of. :)

Criminally underused setting, and some quite refreshing mechanics.

25. N says:

Dead Man’s Hand wasn’t that bad either…

26. Marcin says:

All I can say is Yay! One of the few recent(ish) linear shooters that riveted me from start to finish.

27. A-Scale says:

Call of Juarez was a very fun, very creative game and I am super excited to hear they are going the good route and putting out a second one! Everyone should play CoJ, if only for the AMAZINGLY well done dual pistol fights, and the hilarious accents. It felt genuinely like playing a book. A very fun, if slightly flawed, adventure book.

28. Nick says:

Preaching with one hand and shotgunning the dazed listeners with the other was a nice touch.

29. Nuyan says:

“Mexico is in Australia”

Hah, you bastards.

30. Muzman says:

A-Scale says:

Really? What’s so good about them? Can you do stuff like shoot in different directions perhaps? (I’ve often wished for that in a game)

31. Ian says:

@ Muzman: If you read the review Gillen links he sort of goes into that.

When you draw your pistols, you’ll get a slow-motion thing but your pistols comes out in an arc as you bring them around to dead centre. You CAN, however, still move that arc and see where your pistols are pointing. So it’s possible to draw your pistols in 4 or 5 guys and with swift, precise adjustment of where your right and left guns are aiming, take them out before the slow-mo bit ends.

I think I made it sound clunky.

At the 1:40(ish) and 3:50(ish) marks there it shows what I mean. It’s good fun. :)

32. Muzman says:

Ah, I get ya. Cheers. (I’d love a game where you can do a proper John Woo 180 angle. A little difficult to impliment in first person though, for obvious reasons).
    This game does look cool (the old one anyway). Makes me want to chuck on ’3:10 to Yuma’

33. Ado says:

I guess you’re right, I’m just a fanboy and want everthing possible to do with Firefly. I do like The ‘Verse that they have created too though, it’s a nice mix of sci-fi and western which just feels very good.

Also, I had heard of the MMO but I agree that it seems very unlikley to ever happen. Nice idea but I’d rather have another series or another couple of films…

34. Bidermaier says:

I got that game with an Ati graphic card and i finished in two days.
    I loved that the final boss looked like Hitler.