Planetside War: The Fight Begins

By Jim Rossignol on January 20th, 2009 at 4:15 pm.

The seventy brave souls who will represent us in the blogwar in Planetside have now received their keys and begun getting organised in the game. We have a RockPaperShotgun outfit (guild) already formed, with lots more information to be found in this forum thread. Do read it first, rather just posting “OMG HELP”, eh? If you didn’t get a key but still want to help in the war effort there are still some options.

If you download the client from here, you can use a Station account that has not previously had a Planetside trial to get into the game for 14 days. When you don’t put a key in, apparently, it defaults to a trial option, which is convenient for those of you wishing to dabble. Or you can, of course, subscribe normally. Either way expect extensive patching, the client if 1.7gb big, and the server slow. But don’t let that dissaude you, we’d love to see you in there, particularly if you’re a Planetside Vet, because the magnificent seventy are certainly going to need some help if they’re going to survive the coming weeks intact.

Anyway, our brave soldiers are on the Gemini server and can be found as part of the RockPaperShotgun outfit. If you’re in-game and otherwise clueless, contact the characters darttles, PSponge, xStalinsGhostx, Seniath, xRPSxJamesTao, or RockPaperShotgun to get yourself signed up. These are all RPS readers, including outfit leader RockPaperShotgun, so please treat them with some respect. Once in the outfit you’ll get plenty of help in being ferried off to your inevitable death.

IMPORTANT: You’ll also need Ventrilo. This is the voice comms program that will allow you speak to and listen to your fellow RPS Planetsiders. The outfit folk can supply you with the login details for that. Having a mic is not mandatory, but it’s quite useful.

Sadly I won’t actually be on until the weekend, but we’ll be aiming to get a big old posse together at 8pm GMT, and see if we can’t find some Boingers and ‘Scapists to slay. Hooray.

__________________

« | »

1. Dante says:

Jim

Are any of the other overlords planning to play, or just you?

Will we be able to criticise Walker’s healing skills?

2. Cunzy1 1 says:

We want a blow by blow account in wordies, pictures and videos or it never happened.

3. Jim Rossignol says:

Not sure about t’others. They’re in various states of disarray at the moment. We’ll see.

4. Heliocentric says:

How long is this war by the way? A month? A week?

5. Heliocentric says:

I ask because i’d like my trial to last til the end of the conflict.

All this makes me consider subbing how much is it in the queens paper?

6. Dante says:

About a month I think.

7. Jim Rossignol says:

War dates: 19th Jan to 13th Feb.

8. jonfitt says:

As part of the unwanted masses, I will try to remain interested. It’s a pity it could not have been a more inclusive event. 70 people is hardly massively multiplayer.
    Perhaps Planetside cannot record scores from a changing selection of 70 people shared between a pool of signups, but that would have been better.
    Oh well. Have fun.

9. mpk says:

Y’know, I always did want to play Planetside… I’m sure I can spare an hour or three away from EVE.

10. Markoff Chaney says:

I will do my best to offer salient bits and juicy morsels for those who are to be living vicariously through our wordsmithed images created in your brain to have a more vivid imagining of my partial and probably tinted and possibly completely wrong impressions of what I experienced looking at a screen while pushing buttons and wiggling my right hand a bit.

To Battle!

11. Pags says:

@jonfitt: Uh… you can sign up for a free trial and play with RPS for 14 days; the 70 people thing is only the number of free keys given away.

That’s my understanding of things anyway.

12. Heliocentric says:

10.10 a month. Little too much for this trooper.

13. Yontan says:

*resists urge to slap Jonfitt* whew..

14. Owen says:

£5 says Jim will at least TRY and leave Eve running in the background whilst playing. :D

15. Schmung says:

It’s a bit less the magnificent 70 and a bit more the 70 headless chickens at present, but I’m sure after a few nights we’ll start to grasp the finer points of the game and start to lay down at least a dribble of smack upon the boingers and escapees.

16. Marcin says:

Are we competing for Outfit points, or will there be actual cross-site skirmishes?

The somewhat cool thing about Planetside being fairly compact these days is that I keep seeing the same people. It’s pretty neat, actually :)

I’m in as MarcinM and can also be hit up for an invite if you’re playing in PST evening hours.

17. jonfitt says:

I read it that the 70 people with keys are the only ones who will count towards the war effort. Anyone else can tag along, but won’t count.

18. PleasingFungus says:

Yeah, I can say my K/D ratio for the first day was something like 3/10. (The day before: worse.)

But I’m sure things will improve, and there were already some quite amusing/dramatic moments.

19. Heliocentric says:

Can’t get organised? Just get every single player in something that flies and run attacks on the open plains. Less hotly contested so you’ll just end up stomping everyone you meet. After that use a few bombers to take out the turrets on a quiet base and land on it hack its spawn with the massed pilots and then hack the control. Do everything in a swarm. You don’t need skill or high end certifications.

20. AndrewC says:

That’s true Jonfitt, but friends are always nice to have. And its 70 people per side, so it’s a war of 210 people, plus all the terrifying sods who just play it normally.

I’m in the OMG HELP camp right now, but will keep at it.

21. Dante says:

The auxiliaries are contributing, just indirectly, after all, every time I revive one of the magnificent 70, that’s more killing he can do.

22. Jockie says:

I can invite people to the outfit too now apparently, so shove me a tell if you need an invite. Character name is the same as above.

23. mpk says:

Eek. 20 hour download?

24. Akirasfriend says:

Unforeseen Consequences mean I won’t be on until sometime later this night, but I’ll be back with a brand new office chair thingy, ready for some INTENSE HARDCORE WARACTION.

Or whatever. Y’know.

WAR. HUH. YEAH.

25. Anarki says:

Unforeseen Consequences mean I won’t be on until sometime later this night

First time I read that I thought you meant you’re busy playing the half life level :p

26. Akirasfriend says:

I knew someone here was bound to get the reference. Good man. :D

Anywho, off to Ikea I go!

27. jonfitt says:

@Dante
    So basically it’s 70 Flashhearts and a bunch of Baldricks? :)

28. Joe says:

Oh- didn’t know about this free trial thing. I remember Planetside used to be a memory hog, and that’s why I quit. I have 1.5 gigs now, can anyone advise whether this would suffice?

29. Wedge says:

So that means… you’ll be on… at noon Saturday I think? Oh you’re all so dead D=.

30. KaiserBob says:

It’s too bad I didn’t bring my gaming computer to school with me. I would an opportunity to wreck some bluebies.

Future Crew > All.

31. DarthS says:

Whomever the ‘RockPaperShotgun’ guy really is, he spends an huge amount of time online…he’s got more points now then any 5 other players.

Sadly we’re a bit short on high-level characters, and the fancy tools they bring. SOE seems to have refused to transfer any characters from the old European server onto the merged American one. Don’t suppose you can sort that for us, Jim? :D

32. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Fight on once more!

With feeling!

33. Azeltir says:

Is there somewhere we can check our progress by comparison to those infidel periodicals? At the very least, I’d like to see what we’re competing for. Kills? Base captures? Am I being useful in playing engy-medic-pilot, or dead weight?

Ben

34. Aftershock says:

Ugh… Vent…

Teamspeak ftw.

35. Larington says:

Oh, advice for new players, you should probably turn off the kill/death meter until you’ve found your feet in the game, as the bally thing is rather discouraging for new players. Should be off by default imho.

36. Larington says:

Also, I can confirm that SOE are very resistant to the idea of transferring characters from the Euro server to US one, theres been plenty of begging but it doesn’t seem to have happened last I heard. Wondering if the EU/US servers will end up getting merged anyway, suspect its only a matter of time.

37. frymaster says:

Jim:

I appear to have been given a key when I didn’t ask for one… I’m prepared to Do My Part if necessary, but I can’t devote as much time to it as I suspect some people can… I replied to the original email saying thusly, but I haven’t had a reply either way…

38. waffles says:

frymaster, i would be more than happy to help you out. :D

39. Redford says:

Need some help?

Join the Steam RPS group chat and ask wut is wut. I may not be chosen, but me or other people there will be able to help you with your query.

40. Rich_P says:

If the RPS Magnificent Seventy don’t do at least one major Gal drop, I’ll be disappointed.

Also someone should fly Lodestar missions. They still have the flying brick in-game, right? Seeing a wall of those bastards will terrify anyone.

41. Heliocentric says:

Loadstar carrying a mech is great. I was giving one a lift to a fight and a light scout plane attacks. I land he gets out. Kills it gets back in and off we go. I miss reserves, but 10 a month is more than a game tap sub, or even *shudders* a wow sub.

42. BoltingTurtle says:

the turtle crew reporting for duty, sir. I’m gonna see if I can’t get the other guys from the outfit in on this. Do we get to kill Yahtzee?

43. Andrew says:

Played a bit of this last night, joined the RPS squad and teamkilled a few of them because I completely misunderstood the colour-coding for enemies/friendlies/squadmates. Oops.

Did a little good in another bit of the battlefield, taking a tower from the enemy, then crashed. Oh and I fell through the map once. And I’ve had lots of issues with non-appearing textures/models.

Seems very stable overall!

44. Ado says:

It took me a fikin age to get this running, i.e. a massive patch that I ahd to download whilst out last night, but I’m up and running now and tonight I will make my debut.

Having never played before I’m thinking my ratio will be poor and OMG high but look out for MutantNME and help him whenever possible…

45. Quine says:

Wait, so as one of the unchosen masses, I can wave goodbye to my old Euro server Rank 20 character, get a free US trial going, and join the RPS outfit as support even if it doesn’t directly contribute to the scores?

46. James Tao says:

Quine: Yes, you can if you want to.

47. Quine says:

Cool- I’ll try to Get Involved!

48. Larington says:

I’ve started installing Planetside and its all your fault. Oh well, at least I can pull out my archived game folder to reduce patching time.

49. gbarules2999 says:

I got a key, jumped in, supposedly killed a few people, and then just wandered around for a bit.

Hopefully I’ll offer some use in the next month.

50. Icewolf says:

Too bad I missed this the first time, really would love to fire up Planetside again. Especially as I always loved to be on the NC side :)
    Maybe I’ll reactivate my old account and join for some fun.

Comment on this story