World Continues To Be Conflicted

By Alec Meer on January 22nd, 2009 at 1:51 pm.

Obama might be shutting down Guantanamo and opening negotiations with Iran, but he’s not addressing the real threat to Western society: those bally Commies. Thank goodness the lost World in Conflict expansion pack, Soviet Assault, has finally been unearthed – the true tale of this Red menace will be told at last.

Soviet Assault, originally planned for 360 as well as PC, was one of the many casualties of the Activision-Vivendi merger – even to the extent that developer Massive (most famed for Ground Control) was kicked out of the nascent Actard family. Fortunately, Ubisoft picked ‘em up, and it looks as though ‘splode-tastic alterna-Cold War RTS WiC came with ‘em. Ubi will be publishing Soviet Assault in March, as part of a World In Conflict: Complete Edition pack that also stuffs the lovely original game in there. Owners of the original will be able to download the add-on through dark magicks, and probably some sort of fee.

Here’s the official press release, which says basically the same stuff as this post, but with less made-up words:

Today Ubisoft announced that it will publish World in Conflict: Soviet Assault for PC in March 2009. World in Conflict: Complete Edition, the retail version of the much awaited add-on to the critically acclaimed strategy game will include the entire original World in Conflict title, as well as the Soviet Assault add-on and other exciting all-new features. Players that already own World in Conflict will have the option to download the Soviet Assault expansion pack exclusively online.

“The teams at Massive Entertainment have worked hard to ensure that they are bringing new original content to the popular World in Conflict brand,” said John Parkes, marketing director at Ubisoft EMEA. “Fans have been eagerly awaiting Soviet Assault, and Ubisoft is excited to be able to bring them great new material.”

World in Conflict: Soviet Assault allows players to relive the Cold War in a dramatic, gritty, real world setting driven by compelling characters and storyline. This one of a kind strategy game offers players a unique team-oriented experience on chillingly realistic battlegrounds. Soviet Assault features all-new characters, gameplay from the Soviet perspective, ten new films, new multiplayer maps and more.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Heliocentric says:

Thought this was dead, great news. You do realise that in this game you play an alternate reality cold war *as the communists*, who have given up writing wordy philosophy books and declared war on cheeseburger munching… Wait where was I?

But I want ground control 3, but about WiC i want to be able to set unit “powers” to automatic. An APC not firing its ANTI TANK rock at a tank, but instead firing its *PLINK PLINK PLINK* cannon is stupido.

At least in WiC you never tended to have too many units, but when the helicopter pilot shouts “they’ve got a lock” and proceeds to not deploy his flares?
    Yes yes, very good, and now you are dead.

That said the RTBs* genre has come a long way, at least they fire their guns at targets they can hurt who near them when they move.

*real time babysitting

2. Bobsy says:

(actually he did address the commies. China wasn’t impressed and censored the reference)

3. Optimaximal says:

But isn’t that just denying the problem exists?

4. Dolphan says:

I liked WiC a lot, so I’m glad this is back on the radar. I’m a sucker for ‘splodes. The moment I saw what you could do with artillery I was in love.

5. Timofee says:

Excellent news, really enjoyed the single player for this, although never really got into the multiplayer side. Presumably though if this focusses on the Soviet side then the world’s greatest actor – ‘Arec Balrin’ – won’t be gracing us with his presence?

6. Alex says:

@Heliocentric: I think this is an issue in game design and not the RTS genre.

7. Heliocentric says:

I’m not cussing out RTS, I’m using RTBs to cuss out WiC, for example WC3 has an autocast button(they invented it?)

Everyone else should have it too, Company of heroes kinda gets away with it by having special weapons powerful and costly making you glad you can manage them.

But a skill on a cool down timer but otherwise free should be autocastable. RA3 (demo) was terrible for this, poeers you’d neve rwant to not use but you have to micro to use them.

Sure, in multiplayer competive micromanagement can be a great judge of skill, but really not my prefered measure.

8. MeestaNob! says:

Why did Blactivizzard want to cut Massive loose? Surely there is some nice money to be made from a popular RTS series?

9. yhancik says:

World in Peace would certainly be a very different kind of game ;)

10. Hypocee says:

World In Soyuz.

11. nihohit says:

@Heliocentric:
    Complete agreement. Microing is just a cheap way to add challenge to the game.

12. Fumarole says:

Hooray for World War IIIb!

13. MrDeVil_909 says:

Awesome news, I never got around to picking up WiC, so the complete pack should be sweet.

14. Turin Turambar says:

I hope this time the game is more meaty tactically speaking. It was a bit in the too simple side for me.

15. RealHorrorshow says:

Cool news. I was a WiC fanboy, but ever since I took up Company of Heroes, I’m a little meh on the whole thing. The tactical shallowness starts to show when you get used to something like CoH.

16. Rich_P says:

WiC is one of the few RTS games I’ve enjoyed playing online in random pub servers. That alone was worth the $20 for the deluxe edition (plus a piece of the Berlin Wall).

17. Tunips says:

I’m so glad this is actually going to be released. When Ubisoft bought Massive, I was momentarily joyous, until I remembered that Ubi have their own voice-controlled small-unit-number fast-paced RTS due for PC release soon. I more than half imagined they they would sit on WiC as hard as they could, so as to avoid confounding their arguably inferior title, which seems to be the lynchpin of the Clancy franchises for years to come.

Hooray for disproved conspiracy theories.

Also – no one seems to be mentioning the voice control any more. Is it still to be part of the game?

18. Michael Pearson says:

*hums death to my hometown*

19. Pahalial says:

Having played the Dawn of War II beta/demo the last few days, I think this will probably go by unnoticed as the player base this would appeal to will still be too busy throwing more orks into the fray.

20. MeestaNob! says:

@Pahalial
    I was under the impression this game has a fairly active and enthusiastic (albeit modestly numbered) fanbase. This should make its money back.