Tower Of Grow

By Alec Meer on January 28th, 2009 at 1:31 pm.

Master of icons ON has devised another cutely obtuse Flash puzzle. If you’ve not experienced his especially charming breed of lateral thinking before, his latest, GROW TOWER, is as good a place to start as any. If you’re an old hand at these things, you might be a mite disappointed that the chap’s still clinging to the same concept after so many games. Surely time to take things further, Mr Maze?

And while there’s a reliable gallon of character and inventiveness in the surreal animations unlocked as the puzzle progresses, there’s a real dearth of logic behind the solutions this time. You’ll work it out fairly quickly, but by trial and error rather than any degree of cleverthinks. For my invisi-money, GROW RPG remains his best work. More like that, please.

Still, 15 minutes of complimentary new web-fun from this talented fellow is never to be sniffed at. Hopefully he’s got something bigger and bolder up his sleeve next, though.

Thanks to Nabeel for the tip-off.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Kua says:

I came across this the other day and its the first of this chap’s games I’ve tried. The art style and quirkiness is lurvely but its not a game, more a click icons in varying orders until you win err thing. At least that was my experience.

2. Bobsy says:

Yeah, this is no-where near the heights of Grow RPG. Shame, really.

EDIT: But Tontie was always king.

3. spell says:

LOL ended that one in the first run xD

4. SlappyBag says:

Lol lucky Spell.
    First I’be seen of his stuff as well – played the Grow RPG as well twas good fun.+

5. mikeInside says:

more a click icons in varying orders until you win err thing

play a few more of them… there is a method to the madness ;)

6. Ian says:

Splendid, though I’m not sure I understand what’s going on.

7. Heliocentric says:

Tower of grow? Tower of fail more like. I jest i jest. How the hell do you program something like this. Do you cover every possibility? Madness!

8. radomaj says:

I dunno. I think I used cleverthinks to finish it. I didn’t find my experience as random as Alec did.

9. Hypocee says:

Yeah, not so much ‘lateral thinking’ in Grow. You could argue that there was some logic to RPG, but if so it was still quite a weak component. You fail, you fix, and eventually the toy is in the right order and that’s fine.

ON has done some actual games too, and several of them are quite worthwhile. Everyone should explore his stuff at some point.

10. MarvintheParanoidAndroid says:

Wow. What in the hell just happened?

I think I won… or something?

11. Ziv says:

I’m not going to even try because I know I would just sink my time and then look for a walkthrough and fell like I cheated myself………………….

12. Andy Simpson says:

Crumbs. This Grow suffers from the one real problem the others did, which is that the “true” solution is so totally and randomly better than the others that it makes it really hard to find…

Like in this game, getting up to 12 or so is easy, and then a huge pile of deus ex machina gets you from there to the finish.

13. The Sombrero Kid says:

grow rpg & grow cube i could’nt possibly decide between them

14. Ian says:

I finally winsd!

15. Colin Hansen says:

Grow Cube remains my favorite.

16. Calabi says:

It has an ending that pays off more than the majority of games now.

17. Springy says:

Reaction on seeing the picture to accompany this article:

“OMG my cursor has a twin!!”

18. Rei Onryou says:

That gave a good 10 minutes of fun animation. Enough to relax my brain before continuing on with the barrage that is final year projects!

19. john t says:

It’s not random, and it’s not hard to find.

There’s 120 possibilities here. I solved it in about 10 tries by focusing on what was happening. You can figure out pretty quickly what order a few of the pieces need to be in. After that it’s a matter of experimenting a little. I beat it by focusing on what the brick-robot was doing. Once you get that sorted, the rest of it falls into place.

If you know what you’re doing, all of these are pretty damn logical.

And, why should he ever do anything else? If I could do a single perfect, wonderful thing every year for the rest of my life, I would be completely satisfied.

20. Seth Tipps says:

Especially because it means he can re-use art assets. Think about how many hours he must save by doing that!

I agree somewhat with the argument that there is no logic to these puzzles. To a certain extent, he has over-animated it. Often you will get feedback from the puzzle that is misleading. There is occasionally more than one solution, but not all of the time, and this means that feedback should be either negative (as in the object tries to do something and fails) or positive (as in the object tries to do something and succeeds). As it is, you have a third kind of feedback, where the object tries to do something and succeeds, but it is the wrong thing to do. That ruins the feeling of logic, even if it is logic in a more complex form.

21. Demikaze says:

It took me 5 attempts, and I think unless you fluke it, you need the first few runs to see the animations and work out how that could affect your structure. It is logical but it’s not something you can win immediately. You need to experiement a little, but I don’t necessarily think that’s a failing. I thought it was a gem that really brightened up my morning. Thanks for the link!

22. phuzz says:

It’s the miss-feedback that gets me, I thought I needed brick robot dude to push the button, so once I’d worked out that combination I didn’t change it until I gave up and looked at the walkthru. I mean, brick on top of button looks like it ‘works’, why would you try anything else? The flowerpot has a similarly misleading animation in the wrong place.
    Not that I’m complaining, I just treat these as a series of random choices that make pretty stuff happen.

Somehow missed Grow RPG until today as well, thank you :)

23. Janto says:

Interesting… I thought that the misleading animations was sort of the point, because rather than making you feel like a right berk once you’ve put down 3 pieces that are just sitting there, doing nothing, there’s a sense of having made something happen that keeps you from just hammering on the re-set key once it’s obvious things are awry. Every ‘exploration’ game should look at how these games give you feedback.

Grow Island is by far my favourite, though.

24. Radiant says:

Grow Island so far was the most difficult with Tower and Cube being th emost rewardingly enjoyable for me.

You guys found the secret Grow Island ending?

I love these; a new genre of casual game?

25. Lilo says: