ArmA II Trailer Shows Fiction, Realism

By Jim Rossignol on January 30th, 2009 at 8:40 am.

Bohemia Interactive’s latest game of simulated war is looking pretty healthy, and the latest trailer – which is a mock news bulletin – shows the engine running some pre-scripted scenes. It all looks rather realistic and – dare I say – rather polished. Could BIS actually be delivering a game that doesn’t need to be finished off by the mod community? Hard to say, but even if the game does land in the same kind of state that its predecessor did, we’ve every reason to be excited: this is one of those unfashionably ambitious projects that really makes the PC interesting. There’s no release date for this yet, but we expect an announcement from publisher 505 Games fairly soon.

And more, older footage:

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. The Colonel says:

That Flashpoint demo (and to a lesser extent the game) was one of my fondest PC memories. I hope this game can keep it as raw and un-consolified as the original – that’s where most of it’s charm came from. What game these days would dare let you play a 20 minute scenario with only one life and no health packs? Every modern war-game could learn from the tension that produces.

2. Pavel says:

I wonder why does no one else try to create such a complex WAR simulator from the soldier’s perspective? Even friggin’ Codemasters had to buy the Operation Flashpoint license first, and now they are making mainstreamed console version of it…

Anyway, looks amazing and since I have a very fond memories of Operation Flashpint, I hope it will be polished, optimized and bugfree as much as possible, unlike Arma 1 (which is now pretty good with latest patches, but that is not an excuse of course).

3. psyk says:

Am looking forward to this still remember my first go on operation flashpoint getting my legs disabled by a tank shell and while crawling away getting run over by another tank was amusing.

4. Tei says:

Is fun. Is like these 80’s sit-com actors.

Where is {{name of actor here}} now? maybe he work now on oil service…

Where is OperationFlashpoint now?, Is this one?, sure looks good!

5. Zarniwoop says:

Hmm, shame they haven’t given the helicopters proper inertia. They simply don’t take off like that.

6. Bananaphone says:

Hope they change the controls this time, OpFlash and ArmA feel floaty and disembodied. Just tighten them up and it’d be perfect.

7. AsubstanceD says:

‘Could BIS actually be delivering a game that doesn’t need to be finished off by the mod community?’

Why does no one say this when Bethesda release a new game?

8. Gap Gen says:

Aside from the “ethical cleansing”, if the campaign is good, I will be very happy. ArmA’s campaign was pretty shoddy.

Then again, if you can still rescue a fallen comrade from the top of a fortress by jumping from a helicopter (because you accidentally blew up the ladder in the rescue attempt) then I will still buy it.

9. Gap Gen says:

Also, “calm down the tension” is pretty good. They still need a proper translator.

10. Gap Gen says:

(Oops, I mis-spelt their mis-spelling of ethnical. I need a proper translator, too.)

11. kororas says:

That looks AWSOME!! :D :D

12. kororas says:

I mis-spelt awesome as well :(

13. Larington says:

@AsubstanceD: Heh, journalists don’t have to make that comment – The internet makes it for them. Over, and over, and over…

…And over…

…And over.

14. Heliocentric says:

Many games have ethical cleansing, gotta shoot the bads, all of em.

The take offs of the helicopters are terrible though, look like a balloon drifting away in the wind after being let go.

15. TooNu says:

Anybody not want this game? Only fools do not want this game.

16. Heliocentric says:

Thusly it is mathematically it is proven that i am a fool.

Unless they make a “come back” mod/setting where upon dying you replace another soldier, or if you find yourself in a boring situation you can hop out and take the role of another AI. I dont want to be 1 man in a war, i want to BE the war.

17. Heliocentric says:

If they can give me a giant mechanised walker and place me against the enemy i may reconsider my position. See also, jetpack power armor.

18. Gap Gen says:

“Unless they make a “come back” mod/setting where upon dying you replace another soldier, or if you find yourself in a boring situation you can hop out and take the role of another AI.”

You mean like in ArmA 1? Granted, it only happens sometimes, but still.

19. Alistair says:

I think the thing they had to improve was the command interface… and if they had, I think they’d be saying so :(

20. Dan Lawrence says:

@ Bananaphone

“Just tighten them up and it’d be perfect.”

21. Gap Gen says:

The controls look more like CoD4 in the second video, although that *could* just be cinematic bullshotting. And I think I saw a screenshot with a new, hideously complicated command interface somewhere…

22. Fumarole says:

For those of you wanting a hardcore game from the soldier’s point of view, check out the upcoming Ground Branch from BlackFoot Studios. You won’t be disappointed.

23. KP says:

For those of you wanting vaporware with a developer that lives on donations from a crazed fanbase, check out BlackFoot Studios. NORG NORG NORG.

24. Fumarole says:

Bitter much?

25. Heliocentric says:

I’m with kp on this. They talk about how great they are but i’ve not seen so much as gameplay footage.

26. WaitnSee? says:

I seem to remember one guy famously posting a big “frak you” to the developers of Stalker after about five years of devoted Fan-site raving. I bet he felt silly when the game eventually arrived…

Am just sayin’…

27. jackflash says:

Can’t wait for this. Just bought a joystick, too. Hope it has good co-op.

28. Shadowcat says:

Damn, those trailers look amazing. As was said, if they can crack down on bugs pre-launch and make it a really polished release, this will be superb.

As for helicopters taking off… I don’t really look to the likes of ARMA for flight simulation. Not that it’s not great if it’s decent, but some kind of approximation is fine when they have so many other things on their plate. And hell.. it might even prevent some bitching from the flight sim crowd if it’s obvious that it’s not meant to be realistic :)

29. Nick says:

“You won’t be disappointed.”

If it’s not finished then how do you know?

30. Scotch Mist says:

True, it’s not meant to be a flight sim. It always annoys me when games that are supposedly all about the serious realism and accuracy don’t bother with stuff like this though.

Given (vaguely) proper helicopter/aeroplane controls and difficulty, I think it’d be fun to carve out a niche as a pilot in a game such as this.

31. KP says:

BI should nab up recently unemployed FS10 people. :D
    Ah, who am I kidding…

32. Dinger says:

Why would you want to be one man in the war, when you could be the war?

That’s the question Operation Flashpoint answered: because the world is bigger than you. In games where you BE the war, the war is reduced to a size that you can manage, the rules are broken in your favor, but that only makes them more restrictive.

That was also the first point that I really marveled at OFP: in the demo, on the beach, when the helicopters fly overhead. Why did they fly overhead? No reason, just because that’s what helicopters do.

Of course, helicopters don’t fly like that, and it’d be nice to discover that BIS spends as much time on their vehicle simulations as they do on foliage.

Sucks to be a marine stationed in South Ossetia, it seems.

33. Skurmedel says:

Played ArmA Evolution alot, it’s just a very special experience that can’t be found in any other game or mod.

Sometimes it could be really fucking frustrating though, like when a enemy just stood there and don’t react, and just before you hit him he does a 180 degree turn and headshots you.

I hope they make the AI “smarter” and less prone to quirks like the above mentioned. I think it will be a buy regardless.

34. James T says:

I hope this doesn’t give me a spurious IRQL error that prevents me from ever playing it, like fucking OFP did.

35. Dozer says:

What killed ArmA 1 for me (other than having a computer which could barely play it) was the daft way character animations were implemented. It was not possible to stop an animation once it started. So you press W and the game starts the ‘running two steps forward’ animation. Someone shoots you in the head, and the game keeps you running forward for those two steps, then switches to the ‘falling over dead’ animation. Very annoying when you’re shooting at someone, they’re still standing, you keep firing, and then he falls over dead from the first hit which actually killed him, just the game didn’t show it.

Or, when you’re kneeling with an anti-tank rocket, enemy soldiers start shooting you, and you hit Ctrl to go prone. But you can’t hold a rocket-launcher while prone, so first the game plays the ‘put rocket launcher away’ animation, then the ‘get rifle off your back’ animation, then the ‘go from kneeling to prone’ animation. Or, inevitably, the ‘die from kneeling’ animation because in the intervening three seconds you’ve been shot full of holes by the AI. I hope ArmA 2 will do this better…

It was a lot of fun in organised co-op multiplayer though! And playing with the floating aim-point and TrackIR was unique – trying to work out what’s going on when the direction of your body, gun, and head are all independent….

36. Heliocentric says:

No realistic game should ever stop you putting your head down RIGHT NOW! So what if its not safe to fire AT while lying down, that doesnt mean you cant do it.

The only thing i ever did in arma was open a private server and piss about in the helicopters.

Sometimes i’d spawn enemy soldiers and pancake them while they shoot at me.

^_^

37. TheDude says:

I give them mad love because they are using Proper Names. Medvedev & Gates – +5 for accuracy. Could this be political commentary for those who actually understand geo-politics?

38. Lilo says: