The Turning Test: Plain Sight Beta Impressions

By Kieron Gillen on January 30th, 2009 at 9:56 am.

Little Robots
Yet more robots and killing – in fact, robots who like killing so much they’ll turn their murderous attentions to themselves if no-one else is around. Plain Sight’s been in its Open Beta for a while, and Eurogamer asked me to pop over to Beatnik’s Headquarters in South London. And then write about it. For money! It’s amazing, this games journalism caper. And for explanation of the pun, see beneath the cut!

There’s robots in it – right – and – waitforit – they’re trying to sort out the controls properly in the Beta. As in, turning.

Everyone else would have just written “Plain Sight Beta Impressions”. I go the extra mile to be terrible.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. The Poisoned Sponge says:

I just hope they sort out all the networking issues so I can see if it’s any good. I hope it is.

2. jalf says:

At the risk of totally missing the punchline in the title, you do know it’s called the Turing Test without an n, right? :p

3. Kieron Gillen says:

Jalf: Yes, you are.

KG

4. Tei says:

My 0.2 miles:
    Another option could have been “The Gotcha Test” ( like The CAPTCHA test ).

5. Scott says:

Turig Test!

6. some guy says:

I met 2 of the Beatnik guys at the Thinkosium back in October. Nice guys, though apart from a business card I can’t for the life of me remember what we talked about.

The game looks swell though.

7. SlappyBag says:

Wait, so… what?

8. Rei Onryou says:

This is why you get paid so highly. The extra mile. I take it you get an extra 0 on the end of your cheques for every extra word in the title? Smart lad.

9. Kieron Gillen says:

I am Mr Rich.

KG

10. BooleanBob says:

Until everyone admits that the ‘clever’ mechanic of banking points was not Beatnik’s innovation but the Weakest Link’s, and there is actually a disclaimer on the game confessing as much, I will continue to be sour-faced and miserable to anyone who tries to talk about Plain Sight in, uh, plain sight.

Hopefully I’ll be able to get over myself before the release so I can play the beggar, which does look devilish fun. I wasn’t really convinced by the explanation for the painting system – from the trailers, I was sure it was going to be a Bomberman territory-style thing. But I guess it makes more sense off the back of a few rounds of play.

11. Kieron Gillen says:

Boolean: I wouldn’t be surprised if they did more in another game mode with the painting. It’s obviously a really neat visual thing.

KG

12. Tei says:

I can’t figure out how to play.
    What are you suppose to do? collide with others?.

13. Markoff Chaney says:

Add me to one of those who had network issues. I seem to get booted after a few seconds, regardless.

I’d love to see a single player aspect too, but it seems I can’t paint everything as the color moves with me when I bounce. Maybe if multi player worked properly for me I wouldn’t need a single player part. ;)

14. A Delicate Balance says:

I downloaded it and played with myself for a bit (no!) but I couldn’t find any games to connect to and so, unfortunately, I don’t really know if it’s any fun. Looks like it could be though!

Oh and please can I re-assign WASD to the arrow keys? I’m left-handed and WASD is just plain broken for me.

15. J. Prevost says:

Kieron has a Ph.D… in TERRIBLENESS.

16. Ian says:

Kieron has a solid gold hovercraft.

It’s not practical or functional, but what does that matter? It’s a solid gold hovercraft!

17. Pags says:

If I don’t call you a sellout, will you spread some of your new-found wealth my way?

18. sbs says:

That button I found out about in the releasenote.txt that allegedly makes me explode doesn’t make me explode. And all but one games i connected to were just showing “Game Over”.
    This is hugely irritating.

19. Pags says:

Also, you were in South London and you didn’t tell me?! If I’d have known you were coming I would’ve baked you a cake.

20. A-Scale says:

I’d say that the game’s main failings are not having a text chat so that people can figure out how to play, and not having enough colors to represent the many robot’s color streams. Other than that, its fun.

21. Ginger Yellow says:

I’m not very good at this game.

22. Lilo says: