Link Bundle, You Should Play Dyson Again

By Jim Rossignol on February 4th, 2009 at 4:52 pm.

It’s been an astonishingly busy few weeks and I’ve neglected to mention a few bits and pieces of work that fell outside the RPS net. One such was this mini-history of the Total War games, which ends with a little clue from developer Mike Brunton as to where the Creative Assembly team might go after Empire. Oh, and my review of Empire: Total War will be in the next PC Gamer UK. A world first, and all that.

Elsewhere, I’ve played through all the IGF Grand Prize finalist games, and written some impressions over here. Blueberry Garden is wonderful, but my favourite by far is Dyson, which we posted about last summer, but which has progressed somewhat since then and will hopefully go even further. The new v1.08 build is definitely worth a look. So, so relaxing. Mmm.

Also: I’ll have more Planetside War news tomorrow. It looks like there’s some kind of special event in the works, and a big push from this weekend. 8pm GMT Saturday Join us!

, , , .

1. nabeel says:

I just tried this for the first time yesterday, I was going to link you guys but I supposed you already knew and I was just late to the party. I really like the game, I dig the simplicity and the music is just great.

2. Ginger Yellow says:

thankyouthankyouthankyou

I’ve been wanting to play this game again for ages but couldn’t for the life of me remember what it’s called. It’s not exactly easy to Google.

3. jonfitt says:

Ooh good. I tried this back when you posted it before. I thought the conquest was a bit whack-a-mole. I’ll be interested to see which direction they’ve gone.

4. jonfitt says:

Interesting article on the TW series.

One thing that has irked me about CA is their lacklustre patching policy. Once a game is out the door, it will rapidly be left up to its own devices after a short initial period. This is out of keeping with the games sales and fanbase as they stick around for years.
    There’s always something needs fixing which after you’ve played it for a while you’ll realise just spoil the game in small ways. In Rome it was things like Farms/Sanitation mechanic. You find that if you build any farms you’ll have unrecoverable sanitation problems. So don’t build large areas of farmland, how very un-Roman!

Thankfully the mod team is healthy and you can get fixes from the community, but that shouldn’t be up to the community.

I’ll be interested to see if Empire being the most high-profile release yet means that we’ll see a more mature balancing and patching strategy.

5. Radiant says:

Any strategies for Dyson?
    All I’ve figured out so far is to use the low power asteroids as pure defensive outposts and use the high energy asteroids as er… seed farms.

6. Radiant says:

Seed farms.

7. Heliocentric says:

seed farm everything, hit them with massive swarms, take no prisoners!

???

Profit

Nero says:

It was a bit hard to get a grip on the first version I think, but I have tried 1.08 a while now and now I understand what to do and it’s a very nice game. I enjoy it a lot and hope something big will come out of this.

9. FreudianTrip says:

Is CarneyVale 360 exclusive? Bah Humbug! I say at the completely wrong time of year. The only one in the list that enticed me.

10. Alex May says:

Hey guys, we’re about to release the IGF Audience Award build, which has delicious new fonts and stuff in. I’ll update you with a link in a bit!

11. Alex May says:

Phew okay guys it’s out! Enjoy!

12. Redd says:

FOON Alex May? If so, hello from an old user.
    *downloads*

13. Kadayi says:

Sweet

*downloads

14. Alex May says:

Redd: Not sure what FOON is so probably not!

Sagan says:

It really is a beautiful game. But I never finished all the levels in the demo, because after a while it grows tedious, when you have to spend so much time sending reinforcements to the front. But I guess there are really easy solutions to that, like allowing you to set waypoints or setting up chains like in Pax Galaxia. And since the development on the game seems still active, I will just wait a couple version until they patch something in.

16. Alex May says:

Not a bad plan Sagan :) We’re aware that it gets click-heavy later on. The new build has some increased sending distances, but we haven’t worked a plan in to select seedlings from multiple asteroids yet.

17. D says:

I can’t stop impulsively humming the imperial march everytime I play Dyson.

18. Rei Onryou says:

Read the TW article in PCG. Was pretty enlightening. How does it feel to be the first person to get their hands on Empire properly, eh Jim? I;ve never completed a TW campaign, but in the umpteen hours of play the games give, they always a hit that I can come back to.

I’m intrigued in the upcoming Planetside event. With no stats, we can’t tell if we’re winning (even though we clearly are), so we need more organised player rallies. For the Horace!

19. Powerhaus says:

1.10 is out

20. Victersee says:

Oh I love dyson.

Also, there is a flash game that heavily borrows on dyson: Check out “Star Baron” on your favourite flash source.

21. truth says:

PATHOLOGIC SUCKS

———————

22. mike says:

Anyone else prefer 1.00 dyson to 1.08 dyson?

23. Rosti says:

The first build of Dyson I played (1.00? Why not) will always have a place in my heart for being a super-basic equivalent of Multiwinia. Which isn’t something I thought would be possible.

On the other hand: Scenarios! Content! Structure! I haven’t played enough to say too much, but it’s looking very good.

24. Frank Lantz says:

Dyson is lovely. I love this new mini-genre, sort of a real-time Spaceward Ho! You got Dyson, Nanowar on Kongregate, and best of all Galcon. Galcon is basically the Starcraft of iPhone games. In all seriousness I think it’s possibly better than Starcraft. Galcon:Go::Starcraft:Chess or something like that. Anyway… Galcon.

25. Noc says:

This is the most soothing game of violent conquest I have ever played.

A waypoint system would be nice, though. Not even to send pods on complex routes, but just to have planets automatically redirect to others.

26. Muzman says:

I hadn’t played the new version the last time I was yakking about this.
    I like that travel from a given asteroid has a radius now, but I miss being able to bail my seedlings across the map like space gypsies to proloing the agony in a losing game.
    Also none of the levels seem to have the same scope as the old version (where the asteroid surrounds the sun or something). The move to a lot of faster games is a good one, but I do miss the sense that out there somewhere there’s another super colony growing that I won’t meet until the end and then its all in (provided I’m winning in my section of space, o’course).
    New graphical touches are nice like linking the stats to the shape of the seedlings. Nice trees and things too.
    I was thinking how cool it’d be in a sort of planar 2.5D with a bit of shallow focus. Not sure what that’d add to the game besides looking cool, but there you go.
    Now I gotta check out the newer one.

27. Wedge says:

I wish I could wake up on time to kill you all on Saturday. With my new totally OP Lasher.

28. l1ddl3monkey says:

Note to self: never again play this after eating those “special brownies” your GF made for you, unless you want drool all down your front again.

29. unique_identifier says:

is galcon that multiplayer realtime risk thing with spaceships & planets ? – yes, google tells me it is. pretty much the same mechanic as dyson, but actually fun cause you get to play against people.