Stretchy Robots: New Machinarium Footage

By John Walker on February 5th, 2009 at 12:51 pm.

This is the world I'd prefer to live in.

Yippee! A new trailer for Machinarium, and a garden full of snow. What more could a man ask for? Don’t forget we spoke to Amanita Design about the game just a short while back. This time we get to see some of the puzzling in action, including exciting stretchy robot techniques! Plus there’s a few new scenes that haven’t been shown before, each breathtakingly detailed and pretty. It’s below.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Meat Circus says:

Lawks.

That looks yummy.

2. RageMoreRyan says:

This game looks so fantastic, and the music… *drool*

Cant wait.

3. JJ says:

Wow, this just made the top of my list for games to get this year. The puzzles really look like fun

4. Ian says:

This looks really good.

5. roryok says:

I must have missed that the first time around, that has to be one of the most beautiful looking games I’ve ever seen!

6. MetalCircus says:

Wow, now that does look good. Seems heavily world of goo inspired.

7. Punjab says:

Looks good. Kind of like Full Pipe.

8. Alex May says:

Do try their other games if this is your first dose of Amanita Designs’s superb artwork. You can play Samorost 1 for free!

9. Butler` says:

I’m not even sure if I want to play it, but boy could I look/listen to it for a while.

10. Rath says:

I am enthralled.

11. Feet says:

That looks wonderful.

12. BC says:

It looks so good that you really notice the standard mouse pointer knocking off a bit of polish.

13. Markoff Chaney says:

Beautiful game!

I fear my apprehension at the same base gameplay mechanic of click click click random do what? from their prior 2 outings is going to be the primary method one solves puzzles and that makes me a little sad. I saw some movement of items on screen (but no inventory from whence they came) and I saw some fiddling with knobs but I’m not sure approaching each screen like that allows for a fully comprehensive experience like most adventure games can. It is a different way, but dumbing down simplifying gameplay to that level almost seems too much. It’s not always a good thing…

14. Bobsy says:

Oh man. It’s like what games dreamed of being in the Windows 95 era.

Also it’s making me think back to the mid-level areas in Beneath a Steel Sky, and that can’t be a bad thing.

15. Okami says:

pretty…

want.

16. Candid_Man says:

Some of the scenes have a distinctive Tsutomu Nihei-style of cramped, upward architecture. They remind me of the ruined human sections in the latter part of the BLAME! series.

On a related note, I hope a BLAME! game is in the pipe for the coming decade or something. That manga just screams “videogame” at every available opportunity – that and “Zdzisław Beksiński”.

17. Pags says:

Such a lovely looking game, for some reason the screens and trailers make me think ‘children’s book’.

18. Jubaal says:

Looks very nicely put together. This doesn’t look like my normal kind of game, but Iit would be all kinds of wrong for me to miss out on this one.

19. Nero says:

Wow, just wow.

20. Conquests says:

@Markoff Chaney: I agree with you, i hope the puzzles are deep, smart and hard enuff to be any fun. Ïf they’re too easy and oriented to random clicking, it’s gonna be a big let-down.

21. Conquests says:

Btw this goes to show the importance of actual interaction, that is, how deep is your reasoning, and even the most beautiful looking game, like this, without good puzzles will be a waste.

22. noexes says:

I’m not a big fan of adventure games generally, but this looks like it’s going to have such a strong atmosphere that I’m going to love it anyway.

23. Igor Hardy says:

Brings Another World to mind. Not only the atmosphere, but the puzzles seem similarly physical in nature.

24. esquar says:

Looking delicious! At first I didn’t think I’d like it, thinking back to samorost 1 and 2, which were great, but they were also free webgames.
    This game actually looks like it has some fun mechanics, you don’t see too much of that in clickety-click adventures!

25. Kua says:

I can’t tell you how much I wanted to click the play button at the beginning. Adjusting the height of the robot (presumably the protagonist – that’s a word I love using, probably inappropriately here, but still I loved using it) looks like a fun game mechanic. But honestly the music and art is so atmospheric and just so lurvely, that the fact its the slightest bit interactive is just a bonus – if the gameplay is a genuine leap forward then hurrah!

26. Saul says:

Wow. I want to live in Robot City.

27. Taillefer says:

The disguise bit put a big grin on my face. Awww.
    It would almost be enough for this to just be a slideshow. Stunning stuff.