Why The Long Face? Star Trek Alien Creator

By Jim Rossignol on February 9th, 2009 at 8:55 am.

As you might expect from the Star Trek MMO, there’s going to be loads of scope to create blue-in-the-face Federation lackeys, and continue Star Treks fine tradition of sticking things to the foreheads of humanoids. It looks pretty nifty in action, even if we saw this years ago in Eve Online. Trailer after the jump.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Bobsy says:

I think it’s great how they’re showing us this and yet we’ve still not seen the character creator in Champions. Just fantastic, in fact!

2. Pod says:

I put my headphones on at 00:23 and thought they had accidently put the star wars theme tune on…

3. Gap Gen says:

How long until the first character with a penis stuck to their forehead?

4. rob says:

One face, one hundred different foreheads.

5. BC says:

Are they going to release this beforehand for a fiver?

6. Xercies says:

I wonder if it will be able to create Species 8472

7. Lh'owon says:

@Pod: Haha yea, that music is trying so hard to be the Star Wars music without actually being the Star Wars music.

8. weegosan says:

Oh, Captain Janeway. Lace: The Final Brassiere.

9. Bhazor says:

So I can create any alien as long as the same look could be carried off by a guy in make up?

That music is just too funny though.

10. BooleanBob says:

“continue Star Treks fine tradition of sticking things to the foreheads of humanoids”

I’ve hardly ever watched Star Trek, but this made me laugh. Star Trek always struck me as a little too dour, too sterilised in comparison to sexier sci-fi like Star Wars and even Red Dwarf as a kid. Now I’m a fully-grown nerd I’m struggling to think what I’d rather do than have my Picard-a-like complete repetitive ‘diplomacy’ fetch-quests and calculate the DPS on my photon torpedo array.

11. Koopa says:

Needs more tentacles.

12. John Williams says:

Any of you guys know where I can send this lawsuit?

13. Dain says:

Can I be Hynerian?

14. Cooper42 says:

Puts spore to shame, clearly.

Also, we need a vaginal forehead asap.

15. Tei says:

Well. Star Trek aliens are nothing to be proud off. Are just cosmetical changes on the face of actors. This is good because is cheap (for production) and because the actors can.. well.. .acting. A real alien face can’t really send emotive messages like frustration or angryness.

This, and the ability to fly faster than light and teleport, are just plot mechanism, and make absolutelly no sense. A game based on Star Trek can use then, and maybe even add expresions to these faces… If the dev’s really want to make something special (read: not).

I suppose as others MMO’s that some lore names will be forbidden. Because I totally see vulcanian Galadriel and varius brothers of Legolas walking there… even If there are fighter, I bet there will be a few Legalaleses vulcanians. And Grok, Gorog, Grocks and other orck’s names for the
    Klingons.
    Now, Imagine a Klingon raid.. . “FOR THE HORDEEEEE!!”.

16. Tei says:

prettier > us > uglier
    elf > human > orcs
    vulkan > humans > klingon

17. Pags says:

@Dinger: /martadance?

18. pushlittlekart says:

Tei: Don’t associate Vulcans with a buncha treehugging panzies like the elves…

19. Eamo says:

It seems the main criticism you guys are making about this is that the aliens look too much like the aliens in the TV series and not like some other more-alien aliens which do not exist in the series.

If you don’t like Star Trek that is fine, but this does seem to do a very good job of recreating the look and feel of the aliens you encounter in the Star Trek universe.

Of course since most people are probably going to be running around in Federation uniforms the face / color of your avatar may well be most of the extent of customization you can achieve. Maybe if you start out in the horrible HMS Pinnafore in space costumes from the initial series and eventually upgrade to the cool black uniforms with grey shoulders of the newer movies that will be the armor progression. Getting out of those bellbottom trousers would surely be powerful motivation to grind new gear.

20. MrMelons says:

If vulcans are the elves and Klingons are the orcs…would that make the ferengi the goblins? Are there going to be neutral ferengi space stations and planets that send you on money making schemes that are geared towards thwarting another competitor?

21. h4plo says:

As long as I can be a Kardassian I couldn’t care less what the rest of you xeno scum will look like.

22. Frito says:

Can I be the half black-half white people from TOS?

I finally want to put an end to the half white-half black people.

23. Josh says:

What if I wanted to create a non-humanoid species like the Tholians? I didn’t see tools to do that!. Either allow for the full gamut or don’t allow custom species at all.

24. Peace of Eight says:

I wanna be a Medusan.

If you get that, you’re a geek.

If you don’t get that, you’re still a geek for reading this thread.

25. Rufus T. Firefly says:

Medusans would be easy–just render a little box with the MacGuffin light inside.

Hortas, now that would be fun.

26. Don Wood says:

@Eamo
    “Maybe if you start out in the horrible HMS Pinnafore in space costumes from the initial series and eventually upgrade to the cool black uniforms with grey shoulders of the newer movies that will be the armor progression. Getting out of those bellbottom trousers would surely be powerful motivation to grind new gear.”

Those words, sir, could get you a swift grab-the-top-of-a-doorway two-legged kick to the chest followed by a karate chop to the neck!
    Why, if this man-girdle wasn’t so tight I’d….

27. Anthony Damiani says:

“Getting out of those bellbottom trousers would surely be powerful motivation to grind new gear.”

Yes, but…. miniskirts?

28. Tei says:

I love this video, and the idea of creating your own race is awesome.

29. Rath says:

I have absolutely no confidence in this game. Once upon a time, I was looking forward to it, but everything I’ve seen of it recently makes me shudder. I do not want to inhabit a universe full of tricked out Sovereign Class ships named the “USS Serious Business”.

30. paddytehpyro says:

Im still not sold on the create a race thing. I like the back stories of each race and how they got where they are now. Chucking some completely random race in just kinda messes with it. As the only thing this seems to have going for it is the Star Trek name then losing all the history seems a bad idea to me

31. Adam says:

LMAO

32. Foggen says:

Yes. Klingons are orcs, Vulcans are elves, Romulans are Drow, Ferengi are goblins, and Borg are the undead.

Comment on this story