No Brainer: Dead Rising 2

By Jim Rossignol on February 10th, 2009 at 9:04 am.

Capcom have been busy promoting their games on PC, and that continues with the confirmation of the sequel to their ultra-popular comedy zombie-bashing game, Dead Rising. The new game, which does not have a release date, continues the general theme of defeating the shambling hordes. Capcom explain: “Dead Rising 2 is set several years after the infamous zombie invasion of Willamette. Unfortunately, the zombie virus was not contained at the conclusion of Dead Rising, spreading unchecked throughout the United States and Dead Rising 2 depicts a country where zombie outbreaks continue to strike.” And that inevitably means more running around with a frying pan, braining the undead. The first shots seem to show horror fun in Vegas, which seems appropriate. Trailer after the hop.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. BooleanBob says:

Much love for any game that actually calls their zombies zombies.

Not a whole lot going on in that trailer though.

2. thefanciestofpants says:

In brief: FUCK YES. THANK YOU CAPCOM.

Now let’s see a Fable 2 port and any wanna-buy-a-360 pangs will be completely vanquished.

3. Bobsy says:

Wait, is he about to Guitar Hero those zombies to death with his awesome licks? SO GOOD.

4. Don says:

>Capcom have been busy promoting their games on PC

Like they did with Dead Rising which, er, never appeared on the PC? The problem with doing console exclusives is that they’re now peddling a sequel in a market that never saw the original. Not an impossible job but they’ll have to come up with something better than that trailer before I add it to my buy list.

5. MrDeVil_909 says:

I’m pretty dismissive of ports, but it’s good to see Capcom supporting the old gray box.

6. bansama says:

Yeah, if Capcom really want to show their new found love of PC gaming, they’d surprise us with including a port of the original Dead Rising with the PC version of the sequel. They’d also then sell this wonderful package over Steam — without regionally restricting it and at the same price for everyone.

Well, we can all have pipe dreams, right?

7. Ian says:

I too would like to see some Dead Rising niceness on PC.

8. cqdemal says:

@ thefanciestofpants:

Not for me. Not until MS promises to bring all GTA IV DLCs to PC.

9. UncleLou says:

Great news.

Do we have any idea how well Capcom are doing on the PC so far? Are they still in an experimental stage, or are PC ports already worth it for them? Although the only decent port that also was a decent game was DMC4 so far, or am I forgetting something?

10. pkt-zer0 says:

Note: Capcom’s multiplatform games are developed on PC, then ported to consoles, so technically, it’s the X360 and PS3 version that are going to be ports.

11. Pidesco says:

Street Fighter 4 should be released soon, too.

12. hydra9 says:

This is fantastic news.

13. Markoff Chaney says:

Capcom has been doing good work. DMC4 was an excellent port, one of the best to come out in years, it was. SF4 is supposed to be dropping soon as well for the PC, and that should be fun with my X-Arcade Joystick. I won’t discuss RE4 or some of their other ports since they are in the past now. Let’s hope Capcom keeps properly supporting the PC! It would make more sense to have the original available on our beloved format before the sequel drops, but that’s just my thought. Maybe we will get a 2fer deal (and get the 360 ported, not the Wii while they are at it).

14. UncleLou says:

Street Fighter 4 should be released soon, too.

While I applaud that, I am not sure their decisions are incredibly wise. I would have thought RE5 would have been a no-brainer, but there’s still no announcement, while I am not sure how well something like SF will sell on the PC.

15. Joinn says:

Good, there can never be enough zombie games!

16. Rei Onryou says:

As much as I think more “console-exclusive” should be available on PC, I don’t like them just giving us the sequel, when we haven’t even got the original. I’d rather get a 360 and buy Dead Rising/Dead Rising 2 on it, since both are available on one format.

Of course, Capcom could be going in the Valve direction and actually considering what’s good for their customers and will release Dead Rising on PC.

17. Freudian Trip says:

To be fair to Capcom the originals controls were so woeful they’re probably better off not showing the original to PC-ites.

18. MetalCircus says:

What do we want? Dead rising! When do we want it? Some time soon… please.

19. Lord Skwizzal says:

I think I need a change of pants….Pretty damn soon…This situation just got….Sticky….

:S

20. Optimaximal says:

I don’t think RE4 was done by them, rather it was Ubisoft.

21. Ashamed says:

Oh god, how long did that take for me to get the pun in the headline??

I need a long sleep. :(

Dead Rising 1 would be nice, Capcom. Better Late then Never.

22. TheLordHimself says:

The demo of Resident Evil 5 is slow, boring and unimpressive. Zombies just stand their and watch you for like 10 seconds before hitting. Its certainly no L4D.

23. The Poisoned Sponge says:

Not to mention Capcom recently joined the PC Gaming Alliance, although what that means I don’t really know.

24. Ceremony says:

I am still emotionally scarred from the port of Resident Evil 4, which shipped without that thing… what do you call it, that provides depth and shapes to objects… oh yeah, lighting.

25. mrrobsa says:

Dead Rising; In my opinion (still) the best 360 exclusive, loved every aspect of that game.
    This sequel? Not so sure about. I would obviously have preferred the title stayed with the original dev. team, they’ve got rid of Frank (He’s covered wars, y’know, etc.) which probably means they’ll get rid of the photojournalist aspect which I loved too.
    I’ll certainly try the sequel with an open mind, the new setting of a Vegas-like town seems solid, but I can’t say I’m optimistic, merely hopeful.

26. Conquests says:

I’d like to underline the first 2 words: No Brainer.

Reminding you that this game requires no brain. Stuff for beasts, then.

27. MeestaNob! says:

I have no doubt Capcom will fuck up SF4′s release on PC by suprising us just before release that it’s a GFWL title so it’s compatible with their piss weak DLC ($5 costume packs? Get OUT!).

That said, this looks like a laugh, and I’d love to see the original make it to PC too just for the series completeness sake.

28. FernandoDANTE says:

Those casino scenes reminded me SO MUCH of God Hand.

29. qrter says:

Wasn’t Dead Rising the game with one of the most frustrating savepoint systems ever encountered..?

30. Wacky says:

Nice pun :P.I hope it comes out cool,new zombie games are always ftw

31. Pags says:

Dead Rising was an enormous disappointment. Frustrating save points and a difficulty curve that looked like an Alpine mountain range. The worst games are the ones where you know there’s something good at the core of it, but which you can’t enjoy because it’s failings just make playing the thing far too irritating.

Hopefully they address these problems, and with a PC port we can at least be fairly certain that the save point problem will be fixed.

32. Heliocentric says:

And modders will fix the rest. Sorted.

33. TwistyMcNoggins says:

Just like they did with KOTOR2!

Hang on…

34. schac5 says:

Hey Guys Check Out This Call Of Duty Comedy Sketch

35. Tei says:

I hate zombie games.

I am making a exception for L4D because is more a life style than a game. As a exception, is exceptional.

Now, Imagine if a modder get his hands on this game (or other zombie game) and replace the zed grrrrrrrh sound files by “please dont shot!” ,”help, help!.. he as a gun!!!”. and clean the zombie textures from blood and dirt, to have perfectly reasonable and live people. It will be a hell of a mod.

36. Hunty says:

Regarding the save game system in the original, I think that’s a deliberate choice and one that doesn’t chime with everyone. It wasn’t broken, per se – it was just more like a roguelike, albeit one where you got to keep your attributes. It was a pretty ingenious way to get the most out of the game – the story line was a fixed 6 hours, and you had to prioritise how you wanted to spend them. So you couldn’t rescue everyone, dress as a pimp, complete the story and kill 55453 zombies (or whatever it was). A “sleep-state” save anywhere that deleted on start-up would have been helpful though, and not impacted the core mechanic.

I mean, I just found it a bit too stressful, to be honest. But it was an interesting choice and rather enjoyable. Plus I enjoyed killing the jeep gunner in the park armed only with dinnerplates.

37. subedii says:

DMC4 was a brilliant port, and Capcom seem to be pretty dedicated putting effort into their ports now.

The RE4 port was pretty atrocious, but when you’ve modded the absolute tar out of it, I have no qualms in saying it’s the best looking version of the game by far. The mod community really did spectacular work fixing the game that could only be called half done (they didn’t even have the proper key prompts for the QTE’s, that’s a whole level of sloppy below anything I would expect from the worst modding crew on their first project).

By comparison, the Wii version:

The PC version before it was fixed:

The PC version after modding, includes full lighting, bloom, and even depth of field and optional shader and motion blur effects :

I even gave myself a green sighting laser:

38. Ceremony says:

Wow that looks amazing. I remember looking around for mods, but all I found was a high-res texture pack which kind of helped, and a patch that had lighting but was only for the European version of the game.

39. hydra9 says:

@subedii:
    So the PC version of RE4 is definitely worth buying if you apply a ton of mods? Which mods specifically?

40. Heliocentric says:

Link me to those mods please. I’d put resi4 aside because of the controls.

When i’m platforming i use a pad, when i’m flying a use a stick, when i’m driving a use a wheel. But when i’m shooting zombies i use a mouse.

41. Fullbleed says:

Woo, Gladiator balls!

42. RealZombiesDontRun says:

Hmm. Many friends have recommended Res4 to me for various consoles – even the gamcube but seeing those great screenshots of subedii’s I’m now quite tempted to hunt it down and give it a go…

…Man, I love RPS. :)

43. mister k says:

Bah. I wrote a blog post on my feelings about dead rising a while ago- basically it has a wonderful concept, and then does it’s level best to drain the fun out of it for you, with pathetic boss fights, an irritating save system, and a stupidly small inventory system. Not to mention past a certain point it decided as well as zombies you should have to fight other, lamer, enemies.

44. Fumarole says:

What happens in Vegas doesn’t stay on the 360.

Comment on this story