Okay, Yikes: FUEL Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on February 10th, 2009 at 1:08 pm.

This rather puts Burnout Paradise’s sprawling cityscape into perspective. FUEL, Codemasters’ new open world racing game, features 5000km of open terrain. This new chunk of footage illustrates that to startling effect. We were already intrigued the massive space Codies were talking about, but this brings it home. Suddenly the idea that it really does have that much space in it seems real. Not only that, but it’s out in May. Oh my.

We’ll have an interview with the developers, Asobo Studio, very soon.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Heliocentric says:

If this has the intensity of grid, but a massive scale they have my attention.

2. lobsterjohnson says:

Yes please.

I used to play Motocross Madness on freeplay and pretend it was this.

3. Raff says:

This game sounds and looks fantastic, unlike other recent Codemasters racing games.

I’m also wondering what the excellent former Sega Racing Studio are doing since Codemasters bought them.

4. nabeel says:

Looks great.

5. Raff says:

I can’t begin to describe how appealing just aimlessly buzzing about in a huge open wasteland/wilderness on a scrambler is. I hope that’s encouraged, I don’t really care about doing any races.

6. Dolphan says:

A preview of this in Edge piqued my interest. Apparently it uses procedural generation to do all the (predetermined) terrain in a manageable amount of code. Looks fantastic.

7. FatRat says:

5’000 miles!? Holy crap, isn’t that about the size of Europe?

8. danielcardigan says:

Is this purely racing or is there a combat element to it?

9. Matt Kemp says:

@FatRat: 5,000km. About 3100 miles – still not exactly small, though.

10. Golden says:

Size is just the new rag doll physics/ emotion/ lip sync/ morality.
    Its not really a matter of can they do it but rather how they do it. Miles and miles of space is only any good if the game & story use this.
    Portal didnt have much space but was ace, that far cry clone had lots of space and was rubbish.
    I will with hold judgement but lets hope they do this justice.

11. Ben Abraham says:

Hey, they’re playing Unkle in that video. More bands in videogames please!

12. Biggles says:

5,000 km ^2, presumably? That’s quite big. London in its entirety is around 600 k m ^ 2. You’d be looking at the whole south east of England for something to compare that to.

Crikey. Sounds like fun : )

13. muscrat says:

Cannot wait to give this a go.

It reminds me so much of 1nsane…. which still is one of the best off road racers I have played (even alongside motorstorm and dirt…)

14. Biggles says:

erp, that was 625 sq miles for London actually, or c. 1,600 sq km. Reduce estimates accordingly.

15. muscrat says:

edit*
    Dammit and Powersilde too…..

16. Steve says:

Actually, last word from Codies is that the map is 14,000 square kilometres – not 5,000. Still, those are square kilometres, which makes the map itself about 120km wide.

That’s almost the width of England.

17. monchberter says:

Sold. Jesus christ. This is what the driving in HL2 ep2 should have been!!!

18. Schmung says:

Sounds interesting. It looks like a bit of a scaled up version of 1NSANE (what a stupid title) and is thus all good in my book. Will be interesting to see if it actually works as a game rather than a tech demo though.

19. Ed says:

20. Ian says:

I’m getting a real urge to try a racing game (that isn’t akin to Mario Kart) in years and all these ones you keep talking about are confusing me with their nice-looking-ness. :(

21. Dreamhacker says:

To someone who loved Flatout and hated Flatout 2, this looks absolutely beautiful!

22. AndrewC says:

And if they don’t have a race around the entire perimiter they are PUSSIES.

This size thing is silly – exactly what is the purpose of it? You know in the podcast how Jim mentioned that Far Cry 2 got into trouble by going open world – players suddenly expected a different type of game instead of just a straight shooter? Same thing here.

I hope it’s good, or at least better than PURE, which was rubbish. That judgement is based on scientific evidence.

23. Scotch Mist says:

I think they mean 5000 /square/ kilometres.

Kilometres.

24. Scotch Mist says:

Ahh fuck it, I made a booboo. :(

25. Lollerskater says:

Colour me interested! I was kind of put off with some of the textures of the earlier screenshots. But procedural generation would explain that a bit. And if the scope and game play make up for it, I’m definitely sold on it!

26. hydra9 says:

Wow. Much as I like Burnout Paradise, I think this is the one I’ll be dropping money on – If it’ll run on my senile old PC.

I’d say this even goes beyond Treasure Island Dizzy.

27. Five says:

The first racing game to get my attention in ages.

If it is both completely free roaming and has lots of different vehicles, i’m sold.

28. Hypocee says:

I was utterly unaware of this. Having played GRID: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

29. Gap Gen says:

Talking about open-world games with bikes, I once tried driving the length of North Saharani in ArmA on a bike. I promptly fell off, crippled myself and had to drag my broken body to the nearest village, whereupon I was shot and killed seconds later.

30. Ian says:

@ Gap Gen: That gamecdote r win! :D

31. groovychainsaw says:

I’ve had my eye on this, but the trailer has me sold – look at the draw distance!! Plus the interview i read somewhere said they were going to keep the races interesting by adding in dynamic (xtreeme!!!) weather, such as tornadoes, lightning storms to mix things up. Sounds ace to me -if it can match something like motorstorm’s racing, but on a grander scale, then definite purchase, and with codies’ recent track record in racing games i wouldn’t want to bet against them.

32. PHeMoX says:

I’m wondering if the system requirements will be as ridiculous as for D.I.R.T. though…. I’m hoping Codemaster knows we don’t upgrade our PCs every 3 months. o_0

33. AndrewC says:

GRID runs about twice as smoothly as DIRT, Phemox. Compare the demos if you need proof.

34. the affront says:

FarCry 2 got into trouble not because it was open world, but because if you disregarded the first few hours of “ooh, shiny!” it was simply a mediocre game with some really, really retarded design decisions. Anyway…

Thanks for posting this, RPS. I can now happily report possessing a huge erection after watching that video.
    And yes, Motocross Madness was AWESOME.

One can only hope that someone will make an RPG/racing game hybrid with a world like this. This seems like a good starting point already, it would just need a good story, some bars/gas stations, maybe a faction system to have rivaling racer gangs populating the world and preferably very little shooting, if at all.

35. shinygerbil says:

Hmmmmmm. Looks interesting. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

One of my favourite things about Burnout Paradise is the, uh – I don’t know how to put this, but I guess “lack of personality” covers it. I like the fact there are no drivers, nobody to be “badass” or “with attitude”. It makes it somehow more timeless, more of a canvas upon which one can paste one’s own face/personality. So, I really hope it will be possible to ignore things like the drivers ‘hilariously’ sticking two fingers up at each other all the time like idiots, and waving their legs in the air over every jump (provided they have the legroom). It only takes something minor to put me off a game, but that trailer definitely didn’t hit the spot. Apart from the impressive fly-by shot of all that sweet, sweet terrain…

Anyway, I’m probably overreacting. Then again, where better to do so than the RPS comments thread? ;)

36. Tei says:

In the old 8 bits games used to exist a few “feel free to drive anywhere” games. Mostly attemps to make “Paris – Dakar” racing. If this game try something like that, …rally racing… it could be epic. A rally where you examine the map prior to the run, chose a route, and have something like a copilot helping you. But this thing looks like a arcade, and not a simulation, so I suppose the size here is eyecandy, just good old eyecandy. I could be wrong.

37. Moonracer says:

A big question I have is whether the tracks are at the scale of the map or if there a just multiple normal tracks scattered about and you have a tedious drive to each one. One thing that always turned me off of racing games is that they mimic real life racing too much. Why a 500 mile race on a 1.5 mile length track? Why not a Cannonball run type race across Europe or the US? This game could be interesting.

38. Culprititus says:

@ the affront

Open World RPG/racing Full Throttle sequel … what happened to this Lucas Arts?!?!

39. bhlaab says:

I’m really wary of anything made by codemasters and doesnt star dizzy

40. Y3k-Bug says:

A question for the group: why exactly does this make the game more desirable? As someone who’s only passively into racing games, I can’t imagine what a huge game world would add to the experience.

Although I’m a huge fan of Burnout Paradise since the recent PC release, so maybe I’m just an ass.

Bu toutside of looney arcade setting I really don’t see what this adds to the game any.

41. TeeJay says:

@Ed: “England is about 450-500km wide (at it’s widest point), and 244,000 square kilometers, so the Fuel world is about 5% of the area of England.

Apologies for being pedantic but that’s the area for the entire UK (England + Scotland + Wales + N.I.)

England 130,427 km²
    Scotland 78,772 km²
    Wales 20,778 km²
    Northern Ireland 13,843 km²
    United Kingdom 243,820 km²

42. CatchThePidgeon says:

Looks interesting – my ears always prick-up for the word ‘procedural generation’ and ‘freedom to roam’. But I can’t help but think it’s wasted on a racing title. If we could only shoe-horn Stalker and a new Mechwarrior game into worlds of that size I could die a happy man.

43. Jeremy says:

I think a huge game world makes more sense in things like a racing game or an RPG. Comparing this to Farcry 2 doesn’t necessarily make sense in my mind. People expected Farcry 2 to be more than an FPS because it WAS attempting to be more than just an FPS but it didn’t do so hot. Checkpoints were kind of a bust after the 20th time through one. It wasn’t the fault of the open world, it was the fact that Ubi couldn’t keep the game fresh, why go through yet another checkpoint? What’s the purpose? In a racing game, the open world IS the track, so I can’t imagine how this wouldn’t make the game more desirable.

44. Sp4rkR4t says:

Superb, something to replace my Paradise addiction with.

45. Resin says:

I’m very interested. I want more details. Is this a single or multiplayer game?

If they made this multiplayer and added some combat elements….
    *shudders*

46. Tworak says:

with huge areas to race on comes huge piles of shit to crash into. sounds like a dumb gimmick to confuse game reviewers making them give high scores and feature dumbass comments like “I didn’t even finish 0.000001% of the races!”.

pre-emptive 6.8 score from me

47. Jeremy says:

I don’t think lack of skill is a valid reason to hate a game.

48. Dodomaster says:

@tworak

Just go in open minded, you might be surprised.

49. Ian says:

@Dodomaster: Strap on your Helmet of Cynicism and stop being so sickeningly reasonable!

50. Scandalon says:

That music was crap.

There, since it’s a trailer (and a low-image quality one at that) and I know nothing else about it, had to criticize/complain about something