Battlefield Heroes Beta Bounces Back

By John Walker on February 11th, 2009 at 11:13 am.

The gang's back.

After going very, very quiet for a few months, EA and DICE are reopening the Battlefield Heroes closed beta today. Which means if you already had a key, you’ll be able to get back into the new and improved version of the game when you receive an email. Should you not have a beta key, you can still get in line, with DICE planning to send out a few thousand invites in the near future. You’ll need to create an account here, then fill in the sign-up form here.

Last week DICE explained on their forum what’s been going on in the gap.

“The main thing we’ve been working on is building a new back-end and web system for the game. This means the Heroes website will look better and run faster and the forums, character profiles and stats will be leaner, cleaner, and meaner! We’ve redesigned and rebuilt the system that allows you to buy Battlefunds (virtual currency), earn Valor Points (in-game rewards), and to spend them on character customisation items like hats, weapons, and emotes.

We’ve also been working on improving what you see and feel in-game. We’ve fine-tuned our hit detection and made some balance improvements. We’ve hammered away on many of the bugs you were experiencing. We’ve even worked on some new customisation items and designed some new maps. These are things we will continue to work on throughout the beta and beyond.”

There’s still no official release date set, with DICE presumably waiting to see how the new version manages under the strain of real life players coming into their nice servers and breaking all the furniture.

, , , .

1. mandrill says:

With any luck I’ll be getting an invite when they send the next lot out, I signed up ages ago. Beta invites have been like buses for me recently, you wait ages for one and then three come along at once.

2. James Tao says:

Really hope I get an invite to this one. It looks it has the possibility of being a little broken, but here’s hoping it’s fun enough to discount that. But then I’m an incurable optimist when it comes to games…

3. Rei Onryou says:

I hope that doesn’t mean weapons can be bought with RL money. As soon as a game does that, its a failure.

4. Dave Gates says:

Registered myself a while back… here’s hoping

5. radomaj says:

@Rei Onryou
    Well, they said RL money is only for customization of your character and by that I mean how do you look. Also, I don’t think they would like to repeat the Bad Company fiasco.

6. cHeal says:

I want an invite :(

7. The Poisoned Sponge says:

@Rei Onryou
    I think they’ve stated in the past that the only thing you can buy are items that are purely aesthetic. They don’t seem to want to upset the balance of the game by letting people who spend money on it to get a ‘win’ button.

8. The Poisoned Sponge says:

Looks like Radomaj got there before me.

9. Heliocentric says:

They can even give “different” weapons, as long as not simply better.

For example, larger clip greater recoil etc, just offset the difference.

10. Premium User Badge Vandelay says:

Although this could be interesting, I am more interested in Quake 3 in a browser. Any word on that yet?

11. BuLong says:

I’m in the beta now, can’t disclose anything of course other than the game ROCKS!! And it’s much more stable now than in the previous iteration of the beta.

12. Markoff Chaney says:

If keymappings are fixed (in that they remain after logging out and back in) and I can play First Person, I may go back to Battlefield Heroes.

QuakeLive is great fun. :) Like old Q3 days…

Actually, I probably shouldn’t have said either of those things…

13. rabbitsoup says:

@heliocentric

Noooo this is bad diffrent = choices = better on some maps

Mind you i don,t like weapons for achivements unless its per round/map, its just not fair for some players to get more choice than others

14. Diogo Ribeiro says:

I’m waiting for my Beta key.

It should be close.

Yes, just about now.

Any time now.

15. Scandalon says:

Vandelay – Yea, it’s Quake 3…in a browser. It requires it’s own plugin, and last time I checked (3 weeks ago?) the auto-ranking/matchmaking had some issues… Still, should be fun.

16. Erlam says:

The first one had no invert view.

No. Invert. View.

It was awful (even in game) — I got into the beta and tried it at work. The general consensus was ‘I’d rather play TF2′ and most people couldn’t figure out why the animations looked so terrible.

17. Jickel says:

EA’s password recovery site is just as borked as it was a couple of months ago, so I finally caved in and created a new account. Thanks EA for not letting me use my old e-mail address…

I’ll never spend any money on this game though, *deep breath* as I shortly after buying Spore and spending weeks creating a Dr. Robotnik race I then couldn’t share as a sporecast as the uploader in the game is broken swore to never to give EA any money again.