Roman Wa-hey!: Grand Ages: Rome Demo

By Kieron Gillen on February 11th, 2009 at 7:19 pm.

I've seen Grander

Electrogame samplebit! Grand Ages: Rome! This is, in case you forgot (or didn’t know), Imperium Romanum 2 – which I’m sure will offend all the many devoted fans of Imperium Romanum. Seriously, you don’t want to offend the Imperium Romanum fans. Theys Meanies! I heard they shot a games reviewer just to see him die. Anyway, this is that fashionable-900Mb size and can be got from here and features a demo of Grand Ages: Rome. Which is always a good move for a demo of Grand Ages: Rome. Anyway – you’ll find a couple of videos of this city builder below.

, , .

1. Chris Evans says:

You’ve lost me…Imperium Romanum 2 has been renamed to Grand Ages: Rome?

Why didn’t they just do that for the first one!

2. Adrian says:

looks pretty good, the ship scene reminds me of the great age of empires days

3. Harmen says:

Can you feed prisoners to the lions in the Colosseum?

4. Citizen Parker says:

Shot a game reviewer to watch him die? Surely you mean Killzone 2 fans.

5. Mike says:

We are the people of Rome!
    We also have ships that look ‘cross eyed’ from the front…

6. SteveHatesYou says:

I’ve never heard of this series before. It looks similar to the Caesar games (and also gorgeous).

7. Pags says:

I heard they shot a games reviewer just to see him die.

Johnny Cash was an Imperium Romanum fan?

8. Markoff Chaney says:

Imperium Romanum Front?

SPLITTERS!

9. Paul Moloney says:

I’d love to really get into a Rome city-building game, but the only ones I’ve tried so far left me with a meh feeling. Hopefully this is better.

P.

10. Oak says:

A sequel with a title that is not a numbered or subtitled variation on its predecessor’s? Bless them.

11. Adventurous Putty says:

We need a Roman-motif CRPG with these graphics.

12. Doc MacRae says:

Played the demo. Beat the tutorials (of course) and the first mission. Struggling on the second, I assume there’s some trick to feeding my people better that I don’t know. :/

13. bansama says:

Hmm, something I’ve been wondering is why no one ever mentions the first Roman builder in this series (Glory of the Roman Empire) which used an earlier version of the engine that Imperium Romanum used.

And consider how much I enjoyed the other two, I already know I’m buying this one as well =)

14. SanguineLobster says:

Wow, that’s some pretty poor dialogue editing in that second trailer, or maybe the narrator was too amazed to speak in more than 4 word segments.

15. Nervous Little Tit says:

That first trailer does a great job of lying about selling the game. Thankfully the second isn’t so well done.

16. ThatFatChap says:

Man, for some reason I saw the word “Grand” and thought this was going to be GTA Rome, that would have been awesome.

17. Bobsy says:

That WOULD be awesome. Plus, there’d be plenty of hookers to moidah.

18. danielcardigan says:

Or popes.

19. Bobsy says:

Oh modern Rome? That’s a totally different kettle of Vespas. Naw, I was going for Grand Theft Chariot.

Anyway, I played 10 minutes of tutorial and was vaguely impressed. The music’s a bit naff, but it reminded me that I secretly like resource management games. Plus! The tutorial voice sounds a lot like the tutorial voice in Sacrifice… Mr Yakko Warner.

Plusplus! There’s something utterly insufferable about Romaphiles who insist on using every damn latin word they come across.

20. ryan says:

Looks to be in the same vain as Caesar 4, which was a great game. This one seems to take that and run with it balls to the wall with great graphics. I’ve always loved the caesar series so should be good.

21. ThIrD-EyE says:

I tried to play the demo campaign twice after playing through both tutorials. I gave up in anger because everything I built would keep catching on fire until eventually even my outpost went up in flames. I have no idea why everything kept caching on fire, whether the building was unoccupied or not. The first play through i had my buildings close together, so the second time i spread them out, though it did nothing to help. I enjoyed the tutorials, but the demo campaign is really making it hard for me to get excited about this game after what I experienced. *Sigh*

22. john t says:

I just had this great idea for an open-world Grand Theft Auto style game set in Ancient Rome, where you start as a Plebian, or maybe an immigrant and work your way up through treachery, warfare, etc, to being the Emperor.

I think it could work.

23. Kommissar Nicko says:

While I think city-building games are great, I’m not too thrilled about a Caesar-inspired title. What I want to see is Grand Ages: 2009, the long-awaited bloody sequel to SimCity 4.

24. Bobsy says:

Yeah. Of course tenements catching on fire is a super-realistic for Roman Days, but the way the game handles it is a bit Albert Pooholes. Considering how frequently it happens the lack of any auto-rebuild or repair is silly. It’s an annoyance when you’re supposed to be enjoying plonking down new deathtrap housing.

It’s pretty obvious the designers loved that HBO/BBC series Rome. If you look at the female portraits, then – hey! It’s Atia and Octavia! – and the amount of wacky latin grafitti shows they wanted to be all seedy and “gritty” about it, even if it doesn’t take over the whole thing.

Finally, everyone calls them “pleebs”. SIGH.

Oh, and the interface and resources are crap. Can anyone recommend a better take on the ancient-build-a-city-fill-it-with-production-chains super-genre?

25. Dean says:

Rule the Republic” …. err…

26. Biz says:

played it a bit. seems somewhat challenging just because they don’t fully explain the gameplay mechanics (my buildings caught on fire quite a bit… ended up demolishing lots… was i supposed to make happiness buildings that aren’t available in the demo version or something?), but i am not convinced that it has depth or strategy beyond basic build orders. i like how it takes away the need for micromanagement and focuses on strategy, but how much strategy is there? having a pig farm vs. a wheat farm vs. a fisherman’s hut is nice variety, but is it just aesthetics or is there some strategic component?

seems to have enough depth and strategy and variety to go through the campaign while learning the mechanics and building new things, but nothing after that. unfortunately the story is presented poorly and a simple splash screen listing 3 objectives isn’t impressive in this day and age.

maybe the city-building genre is supposed to be something different… i’m not familiar with it. i just played this as a RTS.

27. john says:

played demo would not take this game if they gave it away
    buildings constantley on fire so much so all pleasure goes out of the game aviod it like the plague

28. D says:

Eh, learn to play john.. All you have to make sure is that buildings are occupied and the people are fed. Buildings never catch fire by themselves.

29. D says:

Let me expand on that comment.. The full game does not have this problem of not knowing what’s going on. I haven’t tried the demo so I cannot compare with it, but its pretty easily explained by the full game.

1) Buildings without workers will deteriorate and catch fire.
    2) People will turn to crime if they are unhappy (no food or no job). Criminals will set fire to buildings.
    3) Different food sources are nessesary to feed the people, multiples of one food source (like a butcher shop) is not cumulative. The trick is fitting everything into the same area.
    4) There are overlays to tell you where crime is happening, where food satisfaction is low and which buildings are unemployed.

30. D says:

Also the story is pretty good (for a city building game) as you get a good taste of the different personalities during the era. They also have a brilliant voice for Caesar.