Home Frickin’ Run: New TF2 Scout Details Revealed

By John Walker on February 17th, 2009 at 9:39 pm.

BOINK

Trumpet sounds: Valve have begun their now traditional countdown to the next Team Fortress 2 update, this time, as expected, for the Scout. This means there’s a new website up, and there will be new details about the additional features added every day. The final reveal will be next Tuesday, the 24th. And the first reveal? The Sandman. And it’s a doozy.

Sleep with one eye open. Gripping your pillow tight.

The Sandman embraces the Scout’s baseball bat, taking things to their illogical conclusion. Using the bat, you hit a baseball at an opposing player, which will stun him. The farther you hit the ball, the better the result. It will even stun the invulnerable – bring on the sound of an angry mob of Heavy fanatics. The catch: you can’t double-jump when carrying the Sandman bat, but as the site explains, “double jumping never put anybody in a coma.”

It just can’t be a coincidence that the last of the Scout’s baseball themed updates gets announced the day before Spring Training begins. These are the sorts of details we want, developers.

Take a look at the site’s background image, and you can see there was originally a gag to do with “batting order”, and a reference to a comic. Just in case anyone needed to know. Edit: This has been removed now, conspiracy fans.

So, get to speculating. What else will we see revealed over the coming seven days? New maps? New game mode? And most of all, what will the Scout’s other two bonuses be? The more baseball puns, the better.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Can I rub your ball, sir?

2. Hybrid says:

Very interesting unlock. Its kinda like the spys sapper but for people. But will it be worth the loss of a double jump?

3. Oddtwang says:

Or achievements, even. Got to be something in there to do with bases – First Base, etc. For capping points on your own perhaps?

4. cyrenic says:

I think Valve has hinted at a new game mode, but I can’t remember where I read that.

Since the baseball stun works on ubercharged enemies, it sounds like it’ll be pretty useful for deterring ubers if nothing else.

5. DeliriumWartner says:

Catchers mitt instead of pistol. Rockets, mines and scout balls (oh God that sounds wrong) that hit the glove do not do any damage. Bullets still do damage.

The Splattergun as a replacement to the scatter gun. It’s a short-range quick-fire paintgun. When it hits, it reduces visibility of enemy, covering their screen with paint. This’ll help the scout rush past with the intel. It does, however, drop his speed by 10%.

I thnk more CTF… erm, intel, maps. Something a bit more foresty, or (my personal hope) moon base.

6. DeliriumWartner says:

@ cyrenic – Wasn’t the “hint” the appearance of the VIP in the beginning of the Sniper vid? People thought it might herald the new game mode but it turned out that it was the Arena, unfortunately. Or were you thinking of a more recent one?

7. Fumarole says:

Maybe I’ll finally put L4D down for TF2 again.

8. Idle Threats & Bad Poetry says:

Hey, I love this idea! It sounds like fun to stun. (There’s a poem in there somewhere.) You could really tick some guys (read: “snipers”) off by stunning them when they weren’t paying attention.

@Delirium: Where are you getting those ideas for unlocks? Are they just your own? It’s unlikely you have insider info. If they are your own, it’s a bit late to be proffering suggestions.

9. Steve says:

Didn’t Valve say they were against restricting player movement? Seems like a pretty big about-turn with this and the heavy update. Bad decisions.

10. John Walker says:

My prediction: the Spit. The Scout can chew tobacco, which he then spits on the sensors of turrets, making them passable until it drips off.

And achievement names:

Take me out of the ballgame
    Bitching mound

Idle – it might be where it says in the post that people should guess what might be in the update.

11. Lunaran says:

Don’t forget he’s half baseball player and half bike messenger.

Although I find it surprising that valve left out gas grenades citing that they never want to take control away from the player, then introduce an unlockable that takes control away from players.

12. A-Scale says:

THANK YOU JESUS.

13. CakeAddict says:

Something that stuns? … ugh not looking forward to that.
    If I hate something in games it’s stunning, hopefully it won’t be bad has I think it will be.

14. Optimaximal says:

In all fairness, we don’t know exactly how this ‘stun’ will play out.

It could just be a visual disturbance like the pyro fire – possibly a complete loss of focus, making aiming impossible but still allowing enough visual clarity to allow navigation.

15. VD-Doom says:

The stun could work like when you get drunk in gta4. navigation and aiming is very wobly! almost impossible to keep straight.

16. wyrmsine says:

I’d just like everyone to take a moment to picture Scout rushes on 2fort. Yes, the rain of baseballs on the battlements – that is the sound of awesome.

17. Erlam says:

I hope it’s simply a reduced movement/accuracy stun, not an actual stun, stun.

Because I agree with them – taking away player control is never, ever smart.

18. Mman says:

It seems like Valve are getting more experimental with the updates; dropping one of the biggest benefits of a class for a different (potentially) huge benefit is far beyond what the majority of the previous upgrades are.

19. fodigg says:

Not liking a stun mechanic.

20. James G says:

Another worried about stunning, not only is it frustrated for experienced players, but can be very contusing for beginners. “Why can’t I move!” Although I’d imagine there would be some on screen feedback to let the player know what had happened.

21. Tworak says:

Woohoo TF2! stun boooo

22. FunkyLlama says:

Jesus. Valve seem to have forgotten there was a got reason for them not wanting to inhibit player movement.

23. FunkyLlama says:

Good, not got. I don’t know where that came from. >___>

24. Arathain says:

It sounds hilarious. And I say this as a not-Scout player. My poor Heavy…

25. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

Can’t wait to bounce the ball back, as a pyro. muahahahaha! That way I don’t even have to unlock the damn(cool) thing.

26. Captain Baseballbat-Boy says:

The skill gap between good scouts and bad scouts is about to become a canyon.

27. Nimic says:

I’m skeptical about the stun like most people, but on the other hand I do have almost complete faith in Valve when it comes to something like this. They’ve had enough practice to know what is the right amount of balance testing. I can envision this being something like a lot of the other updates, great in the hands of a skilled player, but a minor inconvenience in the hands of the unskilled hordes who will no doubt use it anyway. The people who think all of the ‘upgrades’ are actually upgrades (I just love seeing heavies with Natascha, the boxing gloves and the sandvich).

If there’s any class which has only decent upgrades, it might be Medic. I didn’t really like the Kritzkrieg before, but when done in pair with a skilled heavy you know (like my cousin), it’s absolutely devastating. As always, in the hands of people who don’t know what they’re doing, it’s often harmless.

28. Y3k-Bug says:

But that’s why Valve is great. Even if they completely botch the implementation of this, they aren’t so full of themselves that they won’t admit its a mistake and just fix it later.

Remember when the Pyro update originally came out, and the backburner got an insane +50HP? They realized how dumb that was, and removed it.

29. Nimic says:

Y3k-Bug speaks the truth. My confidence in Valve isn’t so much that I believe that they always get it right, it’s that I believe that they’ll fairly quickly realize when something doesn’t work, and try to fix it. Most of my favorite developers share that trait. One of my favourite ever, Paradox Interactive, are infamous for releasing very buggy games, but they always take it up to and beyond expected standard with seemingly endless patches.

30. Fumarole says:

There will certainly be an achievement for Scouts stunning another Scout with their own baseball. Count on it.

31. Els says:

Prediction:
    Roid Rage
    -inject self with “X” substance to increase health and melee power at the cost of speed, health slowly degenerates

32. Oak says:

I apologize if this is too outrageous an idea to grasp, Nimic, but some people might eat the sandvich or use the killing gloves because it’s fun to do. (Leaving out Natascha, since she’s now an insane tractor-beam of death.)

As for the bat, I preferred Tom Francis’ idea, but will find it easier to swallow if it makes a satisfying ‘crack’ sound and your victim hears a cheering stadium crowd when getting hit.

More than learning about the unlockables, though, I’m excited about the inevitable “Meet the…” video and the possibility of a proper alpine map.

33. Nick says:

Scout rush with balls flying everywhere.. potentially amusing and annoying in equal measures.

34. Nimic says:

Some people, Oak, maybe. I play purely for fun at times too (of course I play for fun when I play for win too, but you know what I mean). Like running around trying to kill everyone as medic, or using boxing gloves. But I’m not talking about people who do that.

There are of course people out there who just happen to use all those ‘upgrades’ because they find it fun, but I guarantee that there’s quite a few who use them simply because they have the word ‘upgrade’ branned to them. And these are people who seemingly play to win, and not just to do as much crazy stuff as they can.

35. wyrmsine says:

Oak’s hit the ball straight on, for me, at least as regards the sandvitch. When a medic starts the round ubercharging me, I tell them to support the pyros – no ubercharge can help me. I’m a terrible Heavy, but have carved out my own wee niche with lunchmeats. I’m a lot more use being a scary, attention getting Heavy who can self-heal than as bait for Medic-killers. Sandvitch (and maybe one day, the boxing gloves…) makes the Heavy fun for me.

36. Rich_P says:

If players hate the implementation, Valve will change it.

But now you have pyro air blasts + Natasha (overpowered at the moment, IMHO) + stun baseballs. Way too much snare action going on. The stun baseballs + air blast combo will be devastating against ubers.

Since 80% of my gaming time is in TF2 these days, I’m probably more sensitive than most to changes in a game I really love playing. But I trust Valve to improve the game, even if it takes a few tries to get there.

37. markcocjin says:

Do you think they’re going to put up a TF2 sale when this comes out?

38. Krupo says:

Sale? You can count on it. I’d be surprised if they didn’t. Oh man, I was going to play GalCiv2 but now TF2 wants in.

I liked the +50HP. ;)

Funny, I’ve unlocked 2 of the 3 classes toys… gotta score some more medic time doing crazy things.

Also, this scout stuff sounds absolutely hilarious and awesome. Looking forward to this.

39. Arathain says:

Hitting anything but a firing Heavy or a stationary Sniper with the ball at decent range is surely going to be darned tricky, especially if the ball has any sort of arc. Since the stun is distance based I think this’ll only be truly nasty in the hands of a skilled player. So consistent with the class, then.

40. unique_identifier says:

yay. moar. i’m really happy with valve’s tf2 support post release. it’s glorious. i just started playing tf2 again after about a 6 month break. left 4 dead is great with a team of friends and a good opposition, but anything less is frustrating and pointless, where one bad player cripples a team. so, pub tf2 beckons again.

41. Rich_P says:

I’m really hoping at least one achievement references Vince and/or the Shamwow. The Scount = Vince meme is friggn’ hilarious.

42. Pags says:

Billy Mays > Shamwow

43. Red Scare says:

What a terrible idea! Stunning by itself is bad enough, no one likes to get stunned, but there are more reasons why this is a bad move: 1) It will make scouts better against heavies… which should be one of their weaknesses. IMO they are good enough against heavies already. 2) There is definitely already enough counters to ubercharge. Between demomen, soldiers, and pyro’s knocking you around, not to mention the sentry gun… its hard enough! No more nerfing ubercharges! It just makes the game favor defense more.

44. dan says:

Baseballs. Everywhere.

45. Oak says:

I’m glad Valve have come to their senses and realized that the appeal of Team Fortress was always the chaos of projectiles flying through the air and affecting you in confusing and prohibitive ways.

46. Rich_P says:

Billy Mays > Shamwow

Gonna agree with you, Pags. Billy Mays challenged Vince to a pitch-off on the Adam Corolla radio show last week! If that’s not enough, the two pitchmen got into a fight at the Super Bowl, in their company’s private box.

47. Naurgul says:

I was also surprised that they threw one of their design principles out of the window. Anyway, TF2 updates are always exciting.

48. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Well, if it doesn’t work out they can always nerf this bat. Am hopeful, though. A half-dozen poor Scouts make for decent Sniper practice. Feels like Duck Hunt, except with Spies instead of Dogs.

49. Zak Canard says:

I wonder if Pyro’s compression blast will work on the baseballs, can’t wait to try and beat Scouts at their own game.

50. piphil says:

My guess – a catcher’s mitt, with which the scout can catch and throw back projectiles such as rockets or grenades; the catch being a weakness to small arms fire.

Comment on this story