Evil Freenius: Mastermind

By Alec Meer on February 19th, 2009 at 7:43 pm.

Evil Genius might always be the Bjorn Again to Dungeon Keeper‘s Abba, but it’s a game many remain fond of. Including, presumably, indie developer/artist Mike Swain, who recently completed Mastermind, a browser-based freebie based upon a similar Theme Bond Villain conceit. While it throws in a few similar mechanisms too – the concept of notoriety, for instance – it’s very much its own game. Its interface is a dozen times for logical than Evil Genius’ fiddly attempt, there’s very little waiting around and you won’t find yourself miserably building bunk beds when you could be off robbing banks. That’s where it most differs from Evil Genius – this is much more focused on acts of infamy than acts of architecture.

Admittedly some of the humour’s a little too crude, but it’s a lovely-looking, hyper-stylised thing. Smart stuff, with a surprising amount crammed into what’s superficially a very straightforward system. Thanks to The Amazing PR-Journo-Hybrid-Man Dan Gril for the tip.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. M_the_C says:

Played this a while ago, great fun. The ending is a really nice touch to a well polished game.

2. caesarbear says:

This is a classic. It’s not the best in terms of gameplay, but it’s hilarious and what any good evil mastermind game should be like. It’s a must play.

3. Dominic White says:

For those who like the humor in the game (it’s crude, yes, but it makes me laugh, so it must be doing SOMETHING right), you can find the trio of flash cartoons this game is based on here:

And yeah, this game is surprisingly neat. Flash games really are coming along leaps and bounds lately.

4. Optimaximal says:

Worth it just for the ‘Action Panel’ when you beat it :)

5. Azradesh says:

The end made me giggle :)

6. Xagarath says:

A little too easy, and it gets repetitive near the end, but this is pretty good.

7. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve flipped off the remains of the Earth.

8. lord skwizzal says:

Isn’t one of the endings where you forget your cheese puffs and it’s like NOOOOOO

I loved this game
    Played it the day it came out, Spent hours getting it to 100%, then laughed when he was all like “kthnxbai” when his minions realized the problem with the plan

9. Tei says:

Maybe is to easy. Moon=only infantry?, so you maximize automatic $ generation, move to the moon, and invest in anti-infantry weapons, and is autowin.
    Nice ideas, short execution… theres also the flash thing from no having option to play fullscreen.

10. Ian says:

I’d like a sequel to this because it’s great fun but easy.

Did laugh at the cheesy snacks ending action. :D

11. M_the_C says:

@Tei
    That’s what I did. I held out at the first base as long as I could, then moved to the Moon. It’s pretty easy but it does take time for you to build up enough spare cash. Who knows, maybe it is that easy to take over the world… *strokes chin*

12. Heliocentric says:

moon+flamethrowers=win button

I never once saw a tank in the game… did i rob myself of that fun?

Once AI control was unlocked i could spam out missions.

A starting tip? get coffee shops and buy all bussinesses as they become available. They are worth it.

13. Ian says:

@ Helio: Railguns make tanks a breeze anyway.

14. Jetsetlemming says:

That owned. It could certainly stand some touchups, like making the various henchmen and the patsies not “+Success – Cost” worth a damn, and more shit to buy for defense like your own tanks, but as it is it’s a damn fine flash game. I just beat it and looked at the clock, stunned, to see I’ve been playing it all goddamn night.

Comment on this story