FUEL: Landmarks, User Content Hints

By Jim Rossignol on February 20th, 2009 at 2:33 pm.

More Codemasters material from their recent US press day: a second FUEL trailer. This one is significantly less impressive than the last one, although it shows a bit more detail of the racetrack areas within the 5000km2 terrain of the game world. it’s really hard to guess the quality of the game at this stage, and I’m somewhat sceptical. Nevertheless, the idea of a post-apocalyptic North America to race around in appeals to be on some very basic level, and the game is going to have to be deeply crap to put me off playing it. Eurogamer have a brief overview of the game here, and report that “players will also be able to create their own races on any part of the map, and share them online.” It sounds like the core races are going to be playable a standard event-by-event race too, if you want to skip the open worldiness of it.

I also like this screenshot:

, , .

1. fulis says:

94% ? hmm…

2. Ian says:

If you can create your races anywhere you like and the game is open world, does that mean there’s a very good chance of people inadvertently creating courses that intersect each other and leading to cars of different races bashing into each other? Because that sounds like a potential hoot.

I dunno how these sorts of games work, so if my question seems stupid then it almost certainly is.

3. Ben says:

“slightly less impressive”?? Looks damn pretty and sweet to me!

4. Schmung says:

It looks very spiffy and the Eurogamer preview intrigues me. The open world looks great and as mentioned you’re not rigidly tied to using it and having to bleedin driving everywhere just to start a race, which is always good. As with any racing game it will live or die by it’s handling and how fun the races themselves are, so fingers crossed on that front I guess.

5. AndrewC says:

I vaguely remember an advert for Dark Forces 2 (I think) that proudly exclaimed that the fingers of each character were individually modelled. It was so impressive.

I get the same vibes off this: selling itself on technical achievements that will end up instantly dated. The first shot of a trailer for a car racing game is of pretty water? Hmm. A trailer that proudly shows off just how large they can make a completely featureless flat plain. Hmm.

They could have made all Motorstorm’s tracks into a single world, but I doubt it would have made it a better game. That said, very little could have made Motorstorm a better game, because it was awesome, so I would like to play this game, please.

6. JonFitt says:

@Jim “[Fuel] is going to have to be deeply crap to put me off playing it”

Is that:
    “put me off playing a free review copy” or
    “put me off spending my own money on it”?

Because, I’d play all kinds of crap if it landed on my desk, or I borrowed it.

7. DuBBle says:

Does anyone else hear Assassin’s Creed in the final seconds of that video?

8. Ian says:

@ JonFitt: “Playing it by choice in my spare time” I imagine.

9. Jim Rossignol says:

Ian is correct.

10. Pags says:

I am conflicted between being sketpical and giddy with excitement. What say we just pretend this game never existed so I can get back to my black-and-white world of easy decisions?

11. BargainBinLaden says:

You’re a hard man to please, Jim. I thought this trailer was more impressive than the first! This is now a serious contender for me to add to the ‘purchase’ list, just so long as there’s some delectable game-play to go along with the yummy visuals.

“I vaguely remember an advert for Dark Forces 2 (I think) that proudly exclaimed that the fingers of each character were individually modelled. It was so impressive”

Lol, that reminds me of a certain games mag visiting Valve during the long wait for HL2, and coming back to breathlessly report that the code-monkeys were working to get the amount of shadow falling on a character’s TEETH right. Ah game-dev hyperbole, how we’ve missed you.

12. Pags says:

Oh man, I remember that issue. And for God knows what reason, I remember being extremely stoked about the accurate tooth-shadow modelling.

To be fair to Valve, no-one’s managed to make better looking faces in a game yet.

13. Jim Rossignol says:

Dunno, this trailer seemed blander – more empty space. And the bike rider animations seemed dodgy.

14. theleif says:

That video gets way much cooler if you mute the sound and play 100 Degrees by Kyuss in the background.

15. motherpuncher says:

I liked GRID and dirt so I have faith. Codemasters seem to have a thing for unkle, I remember their GRID trailer had an unkle remix of a queens of the stone age song.

16. theleif says:

Tip: The song fits perfectly if you wait 2 secs before starting the song.

17. pirate0r says:

@theleif

I’m not gonna lie, that song fits perfectly after you wait 2 secs to start it.

18. pirate0r says:

Oh FUEL looks pretty sweet too…

19. Sp4rkR4t says:

So I have until May to completely finish everything in Burnout Paradise.

20. Optimaximal says:

I’m disappointed… This is Codemasters – would post-apocalyptic Britain not be better (or is it ‘too soon’ since Hellgate:London)?

21. clive dunn says:

I agree with Jim, this trailer had some ‘funny’ bits which made me think how much terrain collision detection is actually going on. I’m sure at one point a bike rides over a massive boulder and doesn’t flinch. If you can’t actually hit that rock i’d prefer not to have it in; as i’ll still instinctively drive around it. (but will my competitors?) Still, looks cracking though, especially as it looks like the sort of game my dad would love and i’m dying to play him online. (he gets broadband next week – yep, he’s still on dial-up!)

22. physalis says:

23. Eternal_newbie says:

Am i the only one who notices how nasty the shadows were?? Maybe its jus cos i’m a programmer…

24. Caiman says:

I look forward to the day in the dim and distant future where there will be just a single game, and it will be called “The Game” and it will model the world in such accuracy and detail, not to mention the surrounding solar systems and galaxies, that you will be able to create an avatar within the world and then just… well, play. Do whatever you want, and all the content will be there if you spend the time to find it. People will be able to create their own content and add it to The Game.

Sorry for that slight aside, but I always come back to this imaginary game when I see a new piece of world tech that gets a step closer to this reality. I just hope they manage to release it in my lifetime so I can play the damn thing.

Oh yes, and FUEL looks quite GOOD.

25. KwizatzHaderack says:

physalis: “I keep on thinking – they’ve built this amazing open world, and they’re just going to put a racing game in it?”

That’s exactly what I said the last time RPS talked about this game. This engine is crying out for a decent 1st person adventure to be made in it!

26. mrrobsa says:

I’m enjoying the diversity of environments shown in this trailer. I think the last open-world off-road racing game I played was Smuggler’s Run for PS2, and I thought that was a bit pants. This has me excited though and I eagerly await further use of procedural generation for games.
    The current king of off-road racing mayhem is Excite-Truck; it has ‘normal’ circuits (not open world), but makes up for that by having an awesome prog metal soundtrack.
    Nice tip on the the Kyuss by the way!

27. A Delicate Balance says:

El Stevo: that’s uncanny!

In terms of the game – looks like it could be good. We’ll just have to wait and see.

28. theleif says:

@A Delicate Balance
    Hey! That was my idea!

Cheers

29. mister slim says:

100,000 miles of track? I’ve played 27 hours of Burnout Paradise and I’m at 1100 miles driven. How long would it take to drive all 100k miles of Fuel?