SWTOR Webcomic #1

By Jim Rossignol on February 27th, 2009 at 3:31 pm.

Just spotted this on VG247, LucasArts are setting the scene for upcoming MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic with a webcomic. Looks like the individual issues are going to be fairly brief, and the art is only so-so, but it’s a cute idea. This kind of extra effort bodes well for the full game, in my mind.

, , , .

1. Ian says:

Nothing spectacular, but it’s a nice enough little comic and a decent way to get people into the setting of the game in advance.

2. Dain says:

Those Sith badly want to be peacekeepers don’t they?

3. cyrenic says:

He’s more marketing machine now than man; twisted and evil.

…I know, I’m a cynical bastard.

4. karthik says:

Umm… what setting is this? What of the prodigal knight, Revan? Where is the Jedi Exile? Is SWTOR confirmed to be a continuation of the KOTOR storyline?

I have never been sucked into anything Star Wars like I was into the KOTOR canon, hence the excited queries.

Also, the art looked pretty good, but I suppose that’s because of my unfamiliarity with comics in general.

5. fodigg says:

Ra ra go go star wars and shit.

6. Tei says:

I like it :-), it has some “alien on the earth” vibe to it. I am unsure about the history ( *SPOILER* sith attacking coruscant? is that episode 3 again? ), but everything else seems top noch. Just 1 image, and we know the main character is a emo-jedy girl.

7. Ian says:

@ Karthik: I couldn’t remember for sure, but Wikipedia says:

“The story takes place in the Star Wars fictional universe shortly after the establishment of a tenuous peace between the re-emergent Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic, 300 years after the events of the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic games and 3,500 years before the events in the Star Wars films. ”

Also:

8. graham says:

I think fairly breif was a bit of an overstatement. It takes longer to dig crap out my ears than it was to read this. I think I would appreciate it more when the whole lot is available.
    Wouldn’t mind giving the watchmen motion comics a go…anyone seen them already? worth a punt?

9. karthik says:

The setting seems to have no obvious connection with KOTOR. Oh, well. Expanding canon, shortening attention span.

10. Brian says:

What’s up with the acronyms in this series? First SWKOTOR, then SWKOTORIITSL, and now, just when I thought they’d gotten sensible with a title of reasonable length, they proffer SWTOR. “Sweater”.

Can’t wait for the next sequel, Star Wars: Evangelical Ewok Teamsters Meet Episcopalian Alderaanians’ Titilating Socialists

11. maicon says:

man, that end was ridiculous, the most obvious thing to happen if you think about the siths, or enemies in general, they make a peace treaty and then atack you suddenly, people in this far way galaxy are not very smart…i was expecting something different.

12. Sal says:

this is going live this year…
    “Star Wars: Evangelical Ewok Teamsters Meet Episcopalian Alderaanians’ Titilating Socialists…” LOLz

13. Tei says:

@maicon: Is 3300 years before of Admiral Ackbar military genius.

14. PHeMoX says:

“Where is the Jedi Exile? Is SWTOR confirmed to be a continuation of the KOTOR storyline?”
    No, there actually will be a KOTOR3, so don’t count on a continuation. They will however, and it’s painfully obvious from the comic, come up with a similar story to what has already been done within the SW universe.

The last page of the first issue especially is painfully bad drawn though. What were they thinking?

15. JayVilnius says:

@PHeMoX: I’m not so sure there wiil be a standalone KOTOR3:
    (about 1:25, and again at 2:00)

Bioware could change their stance of course, but personally I wouldn’t count on it.

16. Binho says:

SPOILERS

– Jedi ,supposedly beings who can see into the future, somehow can’t sense the bad guys are deceiving them and starting a war….AGAIN. [check]
    – Capital of a pan-galactic civilization which has mastered faster than light interstellar travel has security level equivalent of a trip-wire tied to a bell. [check]

…Well, if it continues like this BioWare will make the TV tropes website redundant. Other than that, everything you would expect from an Expanded Universe Star Wars story.

Hopefully the game will be more interesting than the webcomic.

17. maicon says:

@Tei: Ackbar: “It’s a trap!” , hahahaha

18. TOR Gamer says:

Its short but a nice way to draw people in.