Fight Not With Monsters: Monsters Vs Aliens Demo

By Kieron Gillen on February 28th, 2009 at 10:56 am.

I like this screenshot a lot. Bless it.

As far as taglines for demos go “When aliens attack, monsters fight back” is one we can get behind. I mean, that is true. Who could argue with that? Unless it’s subtextual meaning is that society should release neo-nazis against new immigrants to the country who are taking our jobs, etc – in which case, we’d disagree with it a lot. Anyway, this is the demo of the game of the new Dreamworks film. You can download it from here, for about half a gig of Monster/Alien demonstration action – that is, three levels staring the leads (A sort of puzzle/platformy thing, a racing dodging thing and a fighter-thing). And here’s a couple of videos…

That girl doesn’t exactly look monstrous to me. Unless the subtext is that teenage girls are monsters, in which case… actually, I can get on side with that one.

(I don’t)

(Except for Lucy. SHE WAS REALLY MEAN. :( :( :( )

I’ll stop now.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Gap Gen says:

Film tie-in… platformer… quicktime events… this could be really good.

I think I’ll hold out for Stalin vs. Martians

2. Lh'owon says:

Yea, despite being really big and (possibly) a bit stretchy, and having skatey feet, the girl isn’t really a monster… I think Dreamworks is confusing superheroes with monsters!

3. Heliocentric says:

Society is the real monster.

4. Fomorian says:

Lh’owon: They aren’t. One of the classic Z-class horror films featured a 50 foot tall woman.

5. The Poisoned Sponge says:

Fomorian: Didn’t she ATTACK!?

6. Morningoil says:

Come now, she wasn’t called Lucy, was she? She was called Kate. They’re always called Kate.

7. Kieron Gillen says:

Kates are lovely, in my experience. Though occasionally I was mean to a Kate in turn. Man, teenagers suck.

KG

8. Sum0 says:

Speaking of monsters, whatever happened to MONSTRO!?

9. bruno says:

That game looks rubbish.

And Kates are nice indeed.

10. NukeLord says:

Your game is nothing compared to MONSTRO!

11. BooleanBob says:

My second Shepard is a Kate (see: Walker’s BoTOR pieces). She is probably humanity’s greatest monster, and makes Jimmy Carter look like Richard Nixon.

12. bansama says:

Well my two daughters have a long way to go before they reach that teenage stage, but unless they suddenly stop being little monsters, I can see mine as being very large monsters by the time they reach the teenager stage.

As such I better download this demo to get an idea of what I’m in for within the next decade =)

13. Mathew Jensterle says:

Dare I say, although very generic in nature, I slightly enjoyed the demo. I may just be too tired to be cynical about a kids game though. I can see how the characters will work better in the film, and now I might actually have to see it.

14. Pags says:

Teenage girls can breathe fire. True story.

15. Kieron Gillen says:

Mathew: It’s a bit of a giggle.

KG

16. Tei says:

I want to watch the movie. But It seems one of these movies where all the jokes are already on the trailer. So It will be not dramatic if we accidentally skip this one.
    The game is not aiming any high than that. But I suppose If you like the movie, the game will get you some fun. It looks like well made, good graphics and all. Not groundbreaking, but overall good.

17. Oak says:

On a related note, I am still hoping for They Came From Hollywood to finally come out. Click my name for mega bonus fun.

18. Noc says:

I saw the preview for this (movie) when I went to see Coraline. It looked alright, but all I could think of was that it was a kiddie version of Hellboy.

Coraline, though, I thought would make a fantastic old-school adventure game. I mean, the story is essentially an inventory puzzle. It would be great! Shame the movie tie-in is a platformer.

I also saw a preview for 9, which I mistook at first for a Little Big Planet movie.

19. Jezebeau says:

Holy poo! Don’t even bother downloading the game. It has the most awkward and nonconformist control scheme I’ve ever seen/played (requiring space, r_shift&ctrl, return, backspace, arrows, and num_2/4/6/8) with no option to remap. Developer fail!

20. Sartoris says:

@Oak: now you’ve got me hooked :D Let’s hope together.

21. Tei says:

@Jezebeau: be easy on these dev’s, maybe his keyboards are made of only these letters.

Comment on this story