Laid Back Payback: Soviet Assault Blues

By Jim Rossignol on March 3rd, 2009 at 3:28 pm.

Massive Entertainment have turned up the trailer of the year so far: perfect for the voyeur of utter destruction who wants to chill out while surveying the impact craters. It’s hard to say what makes the correct juxtaposition of music with explosions so palatable, but I’d say this was the most entertaining since that Far Cry 2 trailer last year. Good work, Ubi. World In Conflict: Soviet Assault is out later this month, so I guess I should install this preview code that is lingering next to my keyboard.

New trailer:

Old trailer:

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. aldo says:

Massive seem to have a habit of creating excellent trailers, based on the original WiCs’ ones.

2. aldo says:

Ooops, on reflection that IS one of the original World in Conflict trailers. I should pay more attention next time.

3. Larington says:

Farewell Sierra, I’ll miss you.
    And your logo.
    ;-(

4. Gap Gen says:

Damn, how many awesome strategy games are coming out around now?

5. Skurmedel says:

Didn’t tell us what song it was :(

6. Matt Kemp says:

Thanks to the wonders of the interwebs, we don’t need to listen to their soundtrack!

Surely you saw it coming?

7. Matt Kemp says:

@Skurmedel: Koop Island Blues by Koop.

8. Ian says:

That surely was some splendid trailerage.

Oh, and “carpet bombing” reminds me of the carpet bomb weapon from Worms. I want more 2D Worms. :(

9. teo says:

War is coming home
    That could be interpreted as something pretty provocative

Too bad the game doesn’t play as well as it looks in trailers. GC is much more fun

10. Feet says:

I thought this was the new trailer…

11. Dan says:

WANT NOW.

12. Zetetic says:

Wait.

Wonderful as it is, it would be a bit cheeky to give it trailer of the year when it came out just last year…

13. Ofoug says:

Listening to Koop while carpet bombing hangars? Win-win scenario =)

14. Rich_P says:

Awesome trailer. Absolutely love this game.

Some information about Soviet Assault if you chaps are interested. Via Massgate:

Release date:
    EU – March 12
    US – March 10

Soviet Assault contains:
    - 6 new single player missions
    - 2 new multiplayer maps called do_Berlin and do_Norway

World in Conflict Complete contains:
    - World in Conflict the original game and Soviet Assault

World in Conflict Complete – 24.99 Euro
    Soviet Assault Mission Pack – 14.99 Euro

Note about pricing:
    The price is bound to differ from retailer to retailer. Please note that this is the price set by the publisher and the individual retailers set their final price. For a concrete example you can check Game in the UK. They have “World in Conflict Complete” listed on their website for £17.99 (roughly 20 Euros).

World in Conflict Complete will be shipped on one single DVD disc.

Both World in Conflict Complete and the Soviet Assault standalone mission pack will be available through digital download as well as on STEAM.

Note about STEAM versions:
    The Steam versions are a bit different from standard boxed retail versions, so a Soviet Assault expansion downloaded from Steam won’t run with a store version of WIC. Same thing the other way around, a Steam WIC version won’t run with a store version of Soviet Assault. World in Conflict Complete will be available in the US, EU and other regions. The standalone Soviet Assault mission pack will only be available for North and South American users.

15. phuzz says:

I’m hoping for a nice double pack of WiC and the expansion.
    mmmmm Expansion.

*edit thanks Rich_P (any relative of Rich Tea?)

16. Gabanski83 says:

Awesome song. Want it.

Not particularly fussed about the WiC expansion though, they’ve been too quiet about it.

17. Mort says:

Complete edition is an absolute STEAL for £15 on play.

Same day release as Tales of Valour. Busy busy.

18. JonFitt says:

I’m going back through and catching up on all the RTSs I missed in the last couple of years.
    So how does WIC compare? I could read up on reviews, but I’d rather take an RPS straw poll.
    How would you describe the SP and MP gameplay for someone familiar with RTSs, including things like Codename:Panzers (stupid name, fun game before CoH)?

19. Gap Gen says:

There’s a kind of Fallout 3 vibe to those videos, the jazzy music overlaying massive destruction.

20. Skurmedel says:

@Matt Kemp: Thanks, more Swedish music I see like in their old trailers. Sweetness.

21. DigitalSignalX says:

Looks awesome! especially the high res one on Feet linked to. One thing I noticed though on it, they have all this fantastic explodey physics going on, but when you see that attack helicopter get hit by some missiles of some kind, it was pathetic, not a single scratch on it till it hit the ground. Come on folks, lets see some debris flying off that wounded bird!

22. Lukasz says:

Ah. great trailer. I love the combination of slow music and violence.
    I mean: every time I hear A Kiss to Build a Dream On I think about nuclear bombs and children being slaughter with miniguns.
    So beautiful.

23. Thiefsie says:

What group did the song?

24. Gap Gen says:

Thiefsie: Already says the group & song in this comments thread.

25. Thiefsie says:

Oops, skipping threads for the brevity of it = fail.

Thanks – now to check out the koops

26. sigma83 says:

No nuke? PHAIL!

27. mister slim says:

R.I.P. Sierra. *sad*

28. x25killa says:

I have never played the original WiC. Time to rectify that next week when the complete edition comes out! :D

29. Jim Rossignol says:

Yes, I did originally post the old trailer. New one up there now too.

30. Kua says:

How did humanity ever manage without big ass bombs?