Diesel And The Diesels: Wheelman Trailers

By John Walker on March 6th, 2009 at 2:30 pm.

This is frankly dangerous. He's not wearnig a helmet!

Vin Diesel’s driving game Wheelman is due in about three weeks. Savour that. A Vin Diesel game, not based on a movie nor nuffink. He plays a man called Milo Burik, which literally rhymes with the central character of another open-city car driving game that was recently quite popular. In this instance the city is Barcelona, which must be smashed to bits, cars and all, as Diesel hurtles around performing pumped up stunts and general bravado. There’s a couple of new trailers showing off quite how explosive the car-go-bangs are to be.

This looks like it could be some dumb fun. It certainly looks as well presented as GTA/SR2, and maybe echoes memories of early Driver? Diesel’s Bell Burik is an undercover agent, posing as a driver-for-hire, infiltrating the Barcelonian underworld. This inevitably leads him into mucky corruption and conveniently placed ramps in the middle of the street. Worryingly, Ubisoft could face some lawsuits from disappointed potential asthmatics, as they boldly claim,

“Combining spectacular Hollywood-style stunts with a gripping storyline, Wheelman provides an adrenaline-fueled, cinematic thrill ride guaranteed to leave you breathless.”

If I’m not left wheezing and clutching my chest, I will be furious.

These trailers are obviously taken from the 360 version, but we fully expect the Xbox references to replaced in the finished game. We do. We always expect that.

, , .

1. charlie says:

Anyway, it did seem fairly enjoyable if you can get over the presentation.

2. RuySan says:

is Barcelona really a good place for this kind of game? The city is full of narrow streets with no traffic.

3. Chris Evans says:

Is Diesel becoming a better video game actor/character than he is a film actor/character? Is it possible?

4. FatRat says:

Think it’ll be one of those games that looks a lot better than it plays. The videos look awesome!

5. Skidmarked says:

………….I know that chick’s voice, I know I do. From a game. Dammit, that’s going to annoy me…

Game looks fun, chock full, as it is, of Diesel’s trademark subtlety.

6. Skidmarked says:

Hmm, perhaps the annoying Mafiosa-esque brat from X3: Reunion?

7. Gap Gen says:

Given that the word “wheelman” isn’t widely used in the UK, I find the title quite amusing. The earlier trailer, where he drives a rather panicked-looking guy, was also quite amusing.

8. Senethro says:

Burik? He’d better watch out he doesn’t get Fire Arrowed or backstabbed by some Thief!

9. Pags says:

That woman’s French accent is ridiculous.

10. Matt Kemp says:

Considering that he’s an underground agent, is anyone else a touch disturbed by the sheer amount of police deaths there? Unless Barcelona is secretly being ran by Blofeld and Bond is off somewhere else, is it really worth that much destruction?

I’m overanalysing. It looks suitably mental. I especially loved the bit where the driver in the demo crashes into the unbreakable blockade and the police pile in after, somehow magically appearing out of their cars and getting squished. I also like the railing suck through the car in the first video. Is this an officially sanctioned trailer? I can’t see how a company would intentionally put tons of bugs in a trailer for their own game.

11. Okami says:

I really love how all the cars instantly explode in huge fireballs if you so much as look at them in a funny way…

12. schizoslayer says:

@ Pags

But her Catalan accent is spot on. Given that she’s Spanish in a game set in Spain.

13. Pags says:

The women didn’t sound like that when I went to Barcelona.

14. danielcardigan says:

Pags says:
    “The women didn’t sound like that when I went to Barcelona.”

Maybe they sound different when they’re sneering at you over their shoulders.

15. Rich Tysoe says:

This game looks to be a bit of a first in the Driver/GTA genre as it’s using licenced cars…

16. Lu-Tze says:

It’s a car! It’s a fence! It’s a Fencecar!
    (seriously, games need to get better physics, this is ridiculous, it’s as bad as it has ever been)

17. Sonic Goo says:

The ramp, you say? What an interesting idea. I would never have thought of that, you know, with it being a great big thing right in front of us and it being pretty much the only option…

18. LionsPhil says:

Ye Gods, does the passenger commentary get annoying within the first five seconds.

19. D says:

isnt the wheelman actaully based on an upcoming film?

20. Bret says:

Hey, Diesel was great in “The Iron Giant”.

Animation may be a field the guy is good in.

Or maybe the Iron Giant is just an incredibly great film.

21. Kitt Basch says:

Didn’t he just have two lines in The Iron Giant? “MWhwWHAUH I’m biiggggg!” Or something like that.

I love The Iron Giant, by the way, lets discuss that instead of back seat driver simulators.

22. P.T. says:

@skidmarked: The voice (and attitude) of the co-pilot in the videos reminded me of the GTA San Andreas’s Catalina: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_characters_in_Grand_Theft_Auto:_San_Andreas#Catalina

23. PHeMoX says:

@charlie: “Just tried the 360 demo and it was fairly shocking really. Really quite nasty graphics which is weird because aren’t Grin also working on the new Riddick? ”

What do you mean? It’s looking fine as it is. The art style reminds me a bit of one of the James Bond games, but really.. this game has lots of potential. Gameplay looks wicked so far, a race game with special moves. Strafe moves, awesome.

This is coming for PC as well, right?

24. Gotem says:

where can I get windshields that let you shoot through them

25. MetalCircus says:

It was good fun, i thought. But no doubt, this, like other titles will get panned by elitist pc communities as being console fodder or something. ho hum.

26. MeestaNob! says:

Confusion of confusions! It’s Spain, so I understand why there is Astra’s everywhere, but why is Vin driving a re-badged SS Commodore (Pontiac G8), when he’s in Europe and they have them as Vauxhall VXR8′s? Video game realism fail zomgiwantmymoneyback!!one1 etc.

When she says “Look, a ramp!” I couldn’t help but be reminded of the Simpsons episode with Knight Boat “What do we do now – look, an inlet!”

27. kafka7 says:

Parental Advisory: game features general bravado.

28. charlie says:

@ Phemox

The graphics have lots of pop in, really dodgy character models. The police fly from their exploding cars at 100 miles an hour and land on their feet without a scratch. The game is good fun though like I said, well at least the demo.

The ability to strafe your car is great and really adds to the game. It seemed to me like GTA mixed with Burnout. The demo didn’t show the on foot parts and from running around in the demo I’m worried they could be awful and frustrating. Still it’s Midway and it’s not unbelievably shit so that’s something right?

29. The Poisoned Sponge says:

After playing the 360 demo, the one thing that frustrated me is that the cars have no physicality. Which is a really odd concept to try and explain, but it’s the difference between feeling like your car is driving on a road and watching it trying to look like it’s driving on a road. Which makes me not enjoy it, and thus I won’t buy it. Pity, really, as lots of the stuff is brilliantly ludicrous and lots of fun.

30. Da'Jobat says:

Pursuit force much? Good PSP game. This seems to pretty much rip it off completely…

31. Catmacey says:

Hmmm. I was quite excited when I saw that this game was set in Barcelona. How cool it would be to have a GTA look a like set in the city in which I live. But after looking at the videos… That’s not Barcelona at least not based on what I can see in the videos. Ok they have the occasional reference to the city (cable car). Shame, there is a great mix of wide multi-lane modern roads and tiny windy street that’d be really cool to drive in…
    Generally it looks a bit.. Pants…

32. EyeMessiah says:

Iron giant is a really great film.

33. Andy`` says:

It must be something to do with the music they used, that woman’s voice, and the ridiculous physics (nevermind the explosions), but while watching those trailers I just kept thinking of Midtown Madness 3.

Midtown Madness 3 with explosions.

34. Kadayi says:

Nice to see a non-American city used as a venue used for once, however the almost complete lack of civilians and other vehicles beyond those attacking you kind of detracts. More interested in the Riddick game tbh.

35. Jeff says:

Nice videos. This looks like a game I can get into.

36. Thants says:

It’s weird that they would do a non-movie Vin Diesel drivey game when he has a new drivey movie coming out (“Fast and Furious”, really, that’s the name).

37. Chaz says:

I thought the demo was quite enjoyable, surprisingly more so than that other Vin Diesel staring game, the Riddick demo.

@ Thants
    You must be confused, as The Wheelman is the name of his new car based malarky film. Well sort of, as rather oddly the film is planned to be a sequel to the game. As for The Fast And Furious, that has been out for years and even has a sequel out, although Vin Diesel isn’t in that one.

38. Thants says:

What i mean is that there’s a new movie coming out called “Fast and Furious”, which is the fourth one and Vin Diesel is returning in. As opposed to “The Fast and The Furious”, which is the first one.

It’s very confusing.

39. The Shed says:

@Thants: Yeah, “Fast and Furious” is apparently the same plot/story/characters/thing as “The Fast and The Furious”, but up to date and with “New moves”. The same characters have the same job to do. Man. The sequels were generic, samey and repetetive enough; yet they still feel they need to do a reboot to print more money.

This looks like decent fun, and yeah, entirely like that PSP game. Especially when he jumps onto the other car. Also they ripped the slow-motion pistol aiming thing straight from a game, can’t remember the name, Something LA, or LA Something. True Crime! True Crime: Streets of Los Angeles or somesuch. Slightly mediocre Getaway/GTA ripoff, but not too bad.

Still this looks pretty good fun, even if I personally adore the Riddick game(s) and will be buying Dark Athena. It become an instant buy since I replayed the demo 50 times and remembered how good and fluent the CQC and stealth is, even if the Multiplayer aspect looks well shite. The setting is brilliant and perfectly done too. Mmmmm.