Fish Guns And Knee Bashes: Zeno Clash Trailer

By John Walker on March 6th, 2009 at 12:56 am.

GET THAT TRUNK-FACED SHIT!

There’s a new video showing Zeno Clash, which I suspect is the best yet. ACE Team’s game has really caught the imagination of many, partly through its remarkable artistic style, and partly through the use of melee combat – people are really interested to find out if this could be the game to satisfyingly pull it off. (With a respectful nod to Dark Messiah, of course.) The new video begins with two of the trio of brothers at the helm of the game explaining the offensive and defensive nature of it all, and then cuts to some lovely in-game examples of the combat in action. It is, of course, below.

It’s great to see the various attack styles linked together. Ranged weapons swapped out for a close-up bashing, tricks using the enemies’ size and speed against them, and smart ways to outwit the AI when it tries to evade skull bombs (grenades) and the like.

Of course, it’s very important not to be distracted from the most significant feature in the video: smashing an elephant to death with a hammer. It’s something we’ve all dreamed of, if we’re honest, and were the zoos not so damned puritanical, perhaps a dream we’d have lived out. In the meantime, this is a fine substitute for murdering those proboscidean bastards. Their time will come.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Down Rodeo says:

I liked the elephant :(

The puns, oh god the puns… I almost mistook you for a journalist!

2. JohnArr says:

I love Dark Messiah soo much, has the RPS hivemind heard anything about a sequel or what Arkane are doing next?

3. Malagate says:

@John, I’d imagine Arkane are still working on The Crossing, but I haven’t heard anything about that in AGES.

I’m not sure whether to be flattered or otherwise by down rodeo though. I probably don’t even want to dab-ble in that area, I doubt I have what it hakes to be a journalist. Maybe a red top one.

4. Pags says:

These jokes are (h)erring on the side of just plain awful now.

I’d also like to express concern that the bit with the grenade was a bit dodgy regarding the AI. Hopefully they smooth it out because the enemy was clearly facing the guy when he threw the grenade…

5. BoltingTurtle says:

Dear God what have I done?

6. The Hammer says:

Holllllly shit.

The landscapes there, especially the town, were beautiful. And such fluid animation! This is looking aces.

7. The Hammer says:

Also, hurray that the fish based puns have seamingly ceased now!

8. Pags says:

Thank Cod!

9. Malagate says:

I like the fact that when The Hammer wrote that the fish based puns had seemingly stopped, he was infact perpetuating more fish base-d puns. For every Cod thanked, there is a salmon of doubt. I’ll get my coat, but whale meat again soon ;-)

Also hammer, you like the environments? Have you checked out their blod? There’s a nice entry here that shows 4 of the environments in Zeno Clash, it might include details that could be considered a little spoilery though.

10. Anthony Damiani says:

Was it just me, or was the melee kind of unimpressive? He’d hit something once, and then it would be stunlocked while he beat its brains in the rest of the way…

11. Dave says:

I’m reminded of Serious Sam actually. Lotta running backward with dumb AI enemies charging toward you.

I think I was more interested before I saw this trailer. I do want the dual fish guns though.

12. markcocjin says:

It is definitely on Steam. They already have an official Stream Group in there that you can join. That’s where I learned of this video first hand.

13. Ian says:

It’s nice to see RPS readers aren’t koi about being a grouper of pun enthusiasts.

14. Spanish Technophobe says:

Is it seriously the first Chilean video game? Wow.

15. Hmm-hmm. says:

No, sorry, I don’t feel like killing the Elephant Man. By which I mean: It looks to be a promising game, but probably not for me.

16. pilouuuu says:

Yes, Spanish Technophobe. This is the first chilean game. At least the first major comercial one. Very proud to be from Chile now! lol

These guys worked before in a very cool Doom Batman mod.

17. toro says:

I’m against the wave, but it wasn’t so impressive. Stupid AI, unbalanced combat animations (when the player hits, the enemy is taking to long to show that he was hurt) and a bizzare world. I wish them luck, but if they don’t have a great story behind, is not going to be stellar. Mod quality.

Comment on this story