Men Of War Videos, Thumbs Up, Sad Sigh

By Jim Rossignol on March 6th, 2009 at 10:26 am.

Men Of War, seriously, look past the name. This is a game that is at least as interesting for real-time strategy lovers as Dawn Of War 2. If you ignored the demo, please go play it, and understand that even that undersells the immense battlefield missions with hundreds of units, not to mention to vast scale of a game that has three full sized campaigns. Campaigns whose maps are also playable in co-op. I’m posting the videos after the jump with a sense of futility, because I know they don’t and won’t sell it to many people. Nevertheless Men Of War is second only to Empire in awesomeness for games I’ve played so far in 2009. It really is a fine thing. I recommend you take a look. The game is out now in Europe and will be out on the 17th in North America.

Update: you can steal the hats of your fallen enemies. Yes!

, , , .

1. Chris Evans says:

Only played it a little, but i must say that Men of War is one of the best RTS games I have played for a while, much better than anything in the C&C series that is for sure. Looking forward to playing more of it after the initial Empire love

2. £=D-T=£££ says:

I even have a great deal of interest in the time period (I’m clearly not alone, or even unique in that), and reguarly read some of the more interesting commentary and other factual writings on the subject.

That all doesn’t matter though. I just…can’t. Not another WW2 game.

3. James Allen says:

This series can’t have worse luck choosing release dates. Faces of War came out the same week as Company of Heroes, and Men of War comes out at the same time as Dawn of War II and Empire: Total War. Men of War is seriously good, though.

Craymen Edge says:

Unfortunately my company’s internet access solution isn’t equiped to handle anything as modern and technological as moving images. Is this the one with the really terrible (to the point of becoming comical) voice acting?

I suppose I could download the demo to see how my cutting edge (in 2004) machine handles it, but I probably won’t. Sadly RTS is one of those genres that have left me so far behind that I can’t see me getting back into them.

5. Kommissar Nicko says:

Mmm, destructible terrain + Soviet artillery = joygasm.

6. dartt says:

Not enough has been made of the fact you can steal a dead enemies hat.

7. much2much says:

“I want to play it, I really do, but I can’t. I feel genuinely bad for passing on what will no doubt be an outstanding gaming experience (based on the number and degree of positive reactions I’ve encountered), particuarly as it’s a game in danger of being overlooked, due to the other, excellent, more widely known RTS’s being released at the same time.

That all doesn’t matter though. I just…can’t. Not another WW2 game.”

lol @ the internet

People won’t play a game because of its genre but will still complain about it vocally.

8. Silent Witless says:

@much2much

Isn’t that what the internet is for? :)

I was coming here to say much the same thing. WWII got old about 20 years ago for me – I think the original Commandos was the last time I dabbled in the genre (Or was it MoH?). And I think the fact that a genre has been done to DEATH, no matter how wondrous the gameplay or spectacle, is a perfectly valid comment for anyone to make. Shame on you for belittling free expression. Tsk.

9. Chris Evans says:

@dartt that is true, equipping all your troops with the helmets of the enemy is great fun :D

Seniath says:

I’m afraid I have to agree with the “meh WWII” crowd. But then, I tend to be drawn to RTS’ more for their story than how they actually play, since as a whole I don’t tend to find them *that* fun (mostly due to my own sucking).

It is for these reasons that I have never played a Total War game.

11. Cigol says:

I was going to try it, but I’m bored of games that include people. Give me goo balls or falling collumns of bricks any day of the week, but a game featuring people? Running around shooting!?… no thank you. Not for me. I’m sorry, I know, I know… but I just can’t bring myself to play another game featuring people.

I thought you might like to know.

12. £=D-T=£££ says:

You’ve perplexed me a tad there ‘much2much’. Why would me willingness to play a game based on its setting affect my ability to comment on its choice of setting? If I were to comment on its features, or something that requires explicit experience with the gaming experience, you’d have a point, but otherwise I can’t see the connection.

I comment on it, because if they took this no doubt excellent game, and did it in a different setting, I would be far more interested. My individual interest may well be of no importance to the developers, I entirely conceed.

13. kuddles says:

I was a huge fan of of the first two games in the series, and I’m a big fan of RTS games that have a lack of base building, I just already have a huge backlog of this genre right now. I’ll pick it up eventually, though.

14. £=D-T=£££ says:

Cigol, frankly, give me an RTS with goo balls running (Secreting? Oozing?) around a battlefield, and I’m near enough sold already.

15. Deme says:

Words can not describe. Play the demo – you will either like it, or love it. Or at least find the concept interesting and interactive environment drool-worthy.

16. Dominic White says:

Just so y’all know, the ‘Men of War’ title was decided by the US/EU publisher, and for some reason they decided to be inconsistent between games.

The titles of the original Russian releases are:

Outfront
    Outfront 2
    Outfront 2 – Expansion A
    Outfront 2 – Expansion B

What we called Soldiers: Heros of WW2 was Outfront. Faces of War was Outfront 2. Men of War is actually the two expansions for O2 bundled into a single standalone game.

Why the publisher decided to make things so horrendously confusing, I have no idea. Maybe they don’t want it to sell?

17. MonktonGaz says:

Add another voice to the ‘not another WWII game’ crowd. I played the demo and like it, but another setting would have been nice.

As an aside, why does WWI get overlooked so often? Not ALL the fighting took place in the land between trenches.

18. Jim Rossignol says:

It should clearly have been called Brothers Tankozov: Moscow Ultrabiff.

19. Silent Witless says:

Seniath: “It is for these reasons that I have never played a Total War game.”

Heh. I’ve played a couple but can’t play any more ‘cos I’m shit at them. Computer wipes the floor with me even during the tutorials. Don’t know what it is but my brain just doesn’t seem built for these games. By contrast – I pwn at DoW.

20. MWoody says:

The game is fun as all hell, but don’t expect to play it through all the way in coop. About 50% of the time, my brother and I end up breaking the objectives in some manner, rendering the mission unfinishable. Maybe we accidentally drop a welding torch off the side of a sub, maybe we kill all the enemies and the rest of our convoy refuses to spawn, maybe the enemy battleship gets stuck on a downed boat and won’t get in range of our arty. We’ve come to accept that missions are over when everything red on the map is dead and we’ve grown weary of driving tanks through every house we can find.

Surprisingly, this isn’t as big of a condemnation as it sounds. It’s an RTS where every single unit has its own diablo-style inventory with full-on physics and building destruction. Making our characters fistfight for the right to wear a captured red beret and taking bets on which tanks can drive off a waterfall without flipping is easily worth the price of admission with a good coop buddy.

21. SlappyBag says:

I concur.

But what to? Nobody knows.

22. Heliocentric says:

I do intend to get round to this, but being the bastard I am I’m waiting for a price drop due to its limited popularity.

Cynical i know.

23. Subject 706 says:

I’m also going to get to this eventually, just need to complete DoW2, Empire and Drakensang first….a game with this much detail in it leaves me drooling. Too bad they used that most overdone of settings. They didn’t do themselves any favours with the english voiceovers either…

24. Colthor says:

So… Many… RTS… Games…
    So… Little… Money…
    Flagrant… Ellipsis… Abuse…

25. Taillefer says:

I’ve cunningly avoided playing every single game ever made that was based on WW2, so this still seems like something fresh to me. I actually heard bad things about it, but obviously I was looking in the wrong places. I’m much more interested now.

26. Heliocentric says:

Drakensang? Whats the word on that? I’ve seen it in charts but i cant get a feel for its design, is ther a demo?

27. El_MUERkO says:

i picked this up off the strength of the eurogamer review and so far i’m enjoying it but by jeebs hairy bottom the voice acting is abysmal

i’m fairly sure they just joined random voice comms servers and asked people who cant speak english to “repeat the following”

still, tanks r fun!

28. Arthurian Legend says:

Best game I’ve played on the PC in a long long time. It’s essentially a realtime Combat Mission with Company of Heroes visuals. Crazy amounth of depth and eye-popping carnage. I got totally fed up wasting time ‘builden and gadderer’ in RTS’s and thankfully this is just pure tactics. Co-op is always a winner, although some of the battles are so massively manic you need a decent rig and fast connection to keep it smooth.

I hope the developer does really well out of this…it should be on Steam for maximum exposure.

As for the voiceovers – comedy gold. It actually helps to ease the tension of the challenging difficulty! I’m convinced they’ve used a speech synthesizer to listen to english pronunciation as some of it is Hawkin-hilarious…

29. A Button says:

I think it’s worth noting that in addition to being one of the best RTS games I have ever played, it is a horrifyingly difficult experience. Missions in which you’re outnumbered ten to one are commonplace and should be considered a brief respite between bouts of frantically managing your base defenses and getting your head kicked in by millions of enemy tanks.

Rockin’ game, though.

30. Balerion says:

It may be the 2nd coming of Jesus and I still most probably won’t play it. I’m also just too sick of WW2 games. I just can’t enjoy them anymore. Just, can’t. :
    So I’m going to stick with Empire: Total War (which is waiting for me on the post today) and with Supreme Commander (I picked it up a bit late, but better late than never) for my Strategy fix.

31. Aubrey says:

A couple of the designers have been playing this at the studio. It’s got some very inventive ideas… things like direct control, where the game effectively becomes a third person shooter, but it meshes perfectly with the top down strategy type stuff.

32. ordteapot says:

Damn their Twin Peaks references and my sudden need for pie and coffee.

33. Dinger says:

Yeah, I love how people on the internet will post saying they’re turned off by the genre or the sub-genre and so won’t buy it, as if it made a difference.

Almost as bad as those who claim DRM is the reason they’re pirating it. Yeah, right.

Me? Oh, the demo won’t run. No sale.

34. itsallcrap says:

That destructability video is useless.

Apart from the airstrike at the end, the camera always moves off whatever’s been blown up before the smoke clears, denying us the chance to actually see how it has been damaged.

35. l1ddl3monkey says:

This is one I’m looking forward to.

And there’s not enough hat stealing in games these days.

36. Skurmedel says:

I bought it instantly after reading about it here and trying the demo. Like the game alot, although the german campaign was a bit short. My other main complaint is that it could do with fewer defend missions. I think anyone should buy this on the KV-2 alone. Seeing that thing hit its target is almost erotic.

37. Trademarked says:

Actually…having now watched the vids this could be a bit of a giggle, WWII creakiness notwithstanding.

I’ll give the demo a whirl, ancient PC permitting. Might be just the thing to cheer me up after losing my job this week.

38. jRides says:

Despite waiting nigh on 2 years for both DoW2 and E:TW, MoW has actually stolen the show for me. I am amazed at just how brilliant this game is, so much so that I went back and ordered FoW. I can’t recommend this enough.

I have not however delved too far in E:TW I know its just awaiting its chance to take over my life… DoW2 was just shite, sadly. What I really need is a MoW:40k Mod.

39. Bluestra says:

I loved the first incarnation and i’m desperate to play this one. Unfortunately i can’t find anywhere to buy it. Is it available to download (legally)?

40. Ginger Yellow says:

Aaargh. I really want this game, but what with Empire:TW, I can’t possibly justify it until I’ve at least finished the single player of DoW II.

41. drewski says:

This sounds excellent, I have no interest in it.

42. Subject 706 says:

Heliocentric – The English demo of Drakensang came out ages ago…The demo and beginning of the game is kind of slow, it gets a lot better later on.

It is a good RPG, in my opinion, certainly refreshing in that it DOESN’t dub itself as an ‘Action-RPG’.

43. AndrewC says:

Now my brain goes broken at RTS’s, so could you describe this as Hidden & Dangerous only bigger? I really liked Hidden & Dangerous.

44. Cigol says:

@Bluestra; try gamersgate.com

45. Kerotan says:

I’m actually really sad about this, this game looks ace, but I’ve just bought Empire, and I really can’t afford another game, even just purely based on my lack of finishing tons of games I own.

46. Bluestra says:

@Cigol – cheers

47. Pickles says:

“Look beyond the name”

Yes, and it still fucking Soldiers: HOWWII which I already pay for. Good game but what change in last 3 version?!? Name, publish, supposed engine. AHAHAHAAHAHAH. That joak. Same engine with same bug from SHOWWII. try harder nex time.

48. Seraphim2150 says:

Men of War is a brilliant game, enjoying it more than DOW 2. And it was cheaper

One thing that has put a few people off is no skirmish

49. Gap Gen says:

Fine. Bought.

50. redviper says:

The voice acting and overall presentation put me off the demo. I can’t remember the last time I had to stomach voice acting like that. Maybe I’m spoiled or something. Does it have an option to play the game with Russian audio? I might give it a chance if it does, and just play with subtitles.