Free-For-All: Warhammer Online For 10 Days

By Jim Rossignol on March 6th, 2009 at 8:47 am.

If you’ve not yet grasped the squig and tried Mythic’s Warhammer Online for yourself, then now might be a good time. The main website has just launched a 10-day free trial for the game. But Europeans are excluded from the offer. And, ah, okay, I missed this completely: Euros have a separate offer entirely.

So that’s good.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Tei says:

Seems on MMORPG games europe is the third world. I remenber the absolute painfull search for a digital download for DDO. But If you play on usa, playing is a 3 steps guide, Pew.. Pew.. Done. Seems usa not only has hugue buildings, and big cards, and make stuff big, but make stuff straighforward, while here in europa we are babelized / balcanized.

GOA, good people, you can love then, and hate then. His website stinks. Are like part of a huge french company (so is almost like working for the .gov ) . All Monty Python jokes about the french are on-topic.

I think on future games I may even totally skip all EU servers and go directly to USA servers. I have tried that with some PVP games, and is not important anyway (for ping stuff) maybe more important for poblation stuff, but since USA as like 500 gazillions dudes, there are anyway people to team with.

2. Nick says:

Bad show I say, bad show. Run another Europe only competition to address the balance.

3. Noc says:

Are you sure there’s no European trial? Because, when I go to the page, there’s a button that says “European Trial,” that brings me to http://www.war-europe.com which has a big red “Create Trial Account” button.

Now, I don’t know if it works, since I’m not on the relevant side of the pond to check. But there does seem to explicitly be a 10-day trial for Europers set up. It may be broken, or some sort of bizarre bait-and-switch. But the option seems to be there, and pretty explicitly outlines.

4. much2much says:

What about AUSTRALIA? Seeing how we are considered “Europe” by many game countries seeing how Europe = Non US.

5. much2much says:

Double post seeing how I can’t edit.
    game countries should say games companies

6. Headache says:

Noc’s right you know, it is advertising the 10 day free trial in Europe too.

7. Iain says:

There seems to be a European trial up now – can’t try it to verify since I’m at work though.

8. Iain says:

….and in the time it’s taken me to type that it’s already been commented on.

9. phuzz says:

Well then, I guess I might be spending the next 10 days bashing hoomans :)

(unless the European trial page just goes to a picture of a dev, laughing in their money hat, just to rub it in…)

10. Jockie says:

Well, theres been a US trial for quite a while now, whilst this is the first i’ve heard of a European one. Maybe GOA just responded -really- quickly to the article.

11. Del Boy says:

That European trial wasn’t there yesterday but I appear to be downloading it now in sunny Blighty.

12. Ian says:

I dunno whether I can be arsed giving it a go or not. I probably should, it being freeeee and all.

13. Super Bladesman says:

Fantastic news – I’ve been wanting to try this for aaaaaaages.

14. wahwah says:

EU Newcomers to the game, if you’re rolling Order make sure you get on the server Karak-Norn and join our fantastic guild Rock Paper Sigmar :D

15. Tei says:

DDO and WAR are two games that are fun from the start. So this trial is solid fun… for 10 days (then you can create another trial account, If you are that cheap).
    This is good news.

16. danielcardigan says:

Tei says:
    “DDO and WAR are two games that are fun from the start.”

I haven’t played DDO since the Beta and it wasn’t fun from the start back then…
    WAR I enjoyed but not enough to subscribe. I haven’t really heard anything recently to suggest that going back is going to be any more fun.

17. Ian says:

So what’s the current situation with the RPS guilds? Are there a decent amount of active players for both Order and Destruction?

18. Tei says:

“I haven’t played DDO since the Beta and it wasn’t fun from the start back then…”

YMMV… I don’t really need to play something else than the docks missions with random pubs.

19. Nexxus9 says:

Oh *now* they make it an open free trial. I guess they noticed that no one was signing up because they were requiring a FilePlanet subscription.

I had fun in the beta, so maybe I’ll give this a try.

20. wahwah says:

@Ian
    the Destro guild is pretty much dead afaik, but we got a bunch of regulars in the Order guild

21. Ian says:

Well perhaps I’ll have a crack at it over the weekend.

I assume to join just involves finding one of the Order chaps online and sending them an IM?

22. wahwah says:

pretty much
    just do a “/who rock paper sigmar” and it will list everybody from the guild who’s online at the moment

23. Dizet Sma says:

The registration page just takes me on a loop, not getting to the last stage after the summary – throws a “capcha invalid” error. Ah, well, eh?

24. Pickles says:

Capture invalids.

25. Pickles says:

I got same Mr Sma… no brousers work. All cookee and scrip allowed to.

26. Tukang Nggame says:

hmmm, I just wanna play it guys!

27. undead dolphin hacker says:

Combine a free trial with server consolidations and you have one hell of an ill omen.

lol cause Ill Omen was a Warhammer game remember?

28. undead dolphin hacker says:

Nevermind it was Dark Omen. Failboat.

29. Arathain says:

I sort of thought free trials were a normal part of any MMOs lifespan. I mean, they’re a good idea for the successful ones too. Not such a bad sign at all.

30. Chalkster says:

I’ll try it out, see if the switch from CoV to WHO is worth it.
    I’m definately playing order…. but the trials have their servers auto-assigned or something? Someone please tell me it’s not so!

31. wahwah says:

I’ve read that that’s how it’s handled in the US, you can transfer your char after the trial period if you keep playing though.
    But I’m not sure if GOA handles it the same way in Europe, couldn’t find anything on the website.

32. Noc says:

Bleh. I was going to see if I could get this to work, but I don’t have 15 gigs of free space. Curses, etc.

33. bigbond says:

Hi, having just attempted to sign up for a free trial on the european site..it took me on a loop..it sent me a final registration code…but it didnt include any trial keys to set the sub up..i then logged back into my new account..and it tells me i have to pay to get a license key of £19.99…0.o sure it’s a free trial

34. Charlie says:

I don’t seem to be able to sign up for a free trial either. Once you have created an account there seems to be no way to get one.

35. tion says:

So this is my experance of the eu trial…
    I use the downloader, which stops at 99% and does not move for well over an hour. I install the game and create an account and click the link on the confirmation e-mail they send. I type my username and password into the login screen and get “authentication failed please re-enter your credentials” i seach the faq and the only advice i find is to make sure you type your password corectly ;p im 100% sure im doing that as i can logon to the website. So im now in the process of downloading it again using the direct download method instead. SO has anyone actually been able to get the eu trial to work?

36. smo says:

the same happened to me as did for “tion”.
    Created the account (used the torrent download option)
    and cannot get into the trial.
    Can log into the web site though .. nice ..

37. lobbanid says:

It’s the same for me, I made 5 diffierent accounts and I still wont get a damn key :S It seems to be bugged.
    Yeah, I now got 5 emails .lol

38. cristiano says:

Hello guys. Getting bored at home? There is a new high quality online game that is out now in the market now. It is called Warhammer Gold. It can be bought online at only certain websites.
    _________________________________________________
    cristiano
    I still think Warhammer is way better then WoW but the numbers do not seem to show it. I wonder if it is because Warhammer does not seem to be advertised as much as Warcraft.
    Warhammer Gold

39. Tyler says:

I want a 10 day trail send it to Windwoodln@yahoo.com

40. novaton says:

piece of crap that warhammer trial client. is NOT working..

stupid company for a stupid non working trial game

Comment on this story