Eve Pre-Patch Interview on EG

By Jim Rossignol on March 9th, 2009 at 7:15 pm.

EG have posted an enormous interview I did with one of CCP’s designers, Noah Ward, about the forth-coming “Apocrypha” update to Eve Online. It includes information about wormholes, tech 3, the new-player experience, and the general enhancements within the game, as well as some more detailed thoughts about how the development team actually produces patches. That last bit perhaps goes some way to answering the age old Eve-patch question of “why did they fix x when they could have fixed y?” The answer being because X actually has a team dedicated to working on it…

Anyway, go read.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Tworak says:

Damn, almost forgot my account runs out tomorrow. BRB, PLEX. D=

2. michaelfeb16 says:

I wonder how many have gotten into EVE thanks to RPS. You guys reminded me of it and compelled me to finally try it of a long time putting it off.

3. Francisco says:

well im one of them, rps articles made me check the trial on steam ;)

31 days and going ;D (loving every minute, go 0.0)

4. Andy says:

It’s not often you get to here games designers going into the methods they use and why Agile is better than Waterfall etc. very interesting.

5. kyrieee says:

Jim, where did you get the idea that BoB were disbanded because of a missed alliance payment? That was just a really early rumour

Haargoth Agamar did it…right?

6. Meat Circus says:

This sounds amazing.

I really must get myself into a new corp so I can experience some hot wormhole action.

7. Polysynchronicity says:

Yo, Meat Circus. Check out “MEK Enterprises” if you’re looking for something mostly casual. We’re planning to do wormhole exploration right off the bat, and a fellow RPSer (or anyone, really) is always welcome.

8. Meat Circus says:

@Polysynchronicity

Thanks! What’s your avatar in-game? I’m Grabcocque.

9. Nuyan says:

I’m quite sure his avatar is Polysynchronicity, isn’t it Polysynchronicity? :-)

10. mpk says:

I wonder how many have gotten into EVE thanks to RPS.

There was a thread on EVE-O a couple years back that went along the lines of “I play EVE and it’s all Jim Rossignols fault”

11. Jim Rossignol says:

Haargoth Agamar did it…right?

Right, he elected not to pay the alliance bill, thus disbanding the alliance.

12. Meat Circus says:

I play EVE and it’s all Jim Rossignol’s fault.

13. egg says:

I play EVE and it’s all Jim Rossignol’s fault.

14. Rufus T. Firefly says:

Haargoth didn’t neglect to pay the alliance bill, he used his role as executor of the holding corp to kick all corporations out of the alliance and then disbanded it.

That was after liberating a bunch of ISK and a baker’s dozen of dreadnaughts from the hangars, of course.

The Mittani has a nice column up on Ten Ton Hammer about how wars in EVE are lost, it covers this incident and the current 3-week ongoing camp of PR- that has incapacitated the KenZoku capital fleet.

15. modulus says:

I play EVE and it’s all Jim Rossignol’s fault.

16. Phil says:

I play EVE and it’s all Tom Francis’ fault.

17. Mil says:

I don’t play EVE, but I’ve read quite a bit about it these last few weeks since BoB was disbanded. It seems that doing anything of consequence requires a lot of effort and politicking, so I’m not too attracted to actually play this game for the moment.

How do RPS readers play EVE? Small ratting corporations, big PvP alliances, something else?

18. mpk says:

Um, we’re in a small PvP alliance that occasionally rats. I make most of my money selling the loot harvested from the wrecks of my vanquished opponents. Although I do a fair trade in haulers on the side.

Nothing in EVE is easy, but what you get out of it is proportional to what you put in.