A Sphinxing Man’s Game: Nile Online Live

By Kieron Gillen on March 10th, 2009 at 1:14 am.

null

Alec’s written about the Beta before, but it’s worth knowing that in Tilted Mill’s browser-based incarnation of Children of the Nile, Immortal Cities: Nile Online has gone live. While none of RPS have had a chance to play it yet, a browser-based management/construction game with a casual bent certainly sounds far less likely to lead to soul sapping (and 4000 word post-game analysis and/or heartbreak) than Travian. Also, we can make pyramids. We like making pyramids, though I suspect if RPS were living Gods in the Nile basin we’d make Pyramints. We digress. Anyway, it’s free to make an account, and you can do so here.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Happy Smile says:

This is an awesome city builder/trading game. It’s light-weight (browser, no plugins), so that it’s easy to play from pretty much anywhere.
    I’ve been playing it since the beta started in October 2008 (I found the announcement on RPS and have been reading RPS daily since, thanks RPS!) . The game is causally paced so those pretending to have a life outside of gaming (or have other games to play?) can get by and still have a lot of fun by playing only 10 minutes a day. Highly recommended !

2. Ben Abraham says:

I tried to play this, but the horridly slow pace of constructing anything meant I got horribly bored and never came back. Maybe if it were integrated into Ye Olde Face of Book as an app or something I might remember to be bothered.

3. Gassalasca says:

Damn you Mr Gillen!
    And to think only half an hour ago I was hoping to get some serious work done this Tuesday.

4. Jhoosier says:

I have a bakery! Or I will in 10m. Gonna be useful for studying, as long as I don’t use the build times to read the wiki and strategize my next move.

5. pepper says:

I just deleted my account, they force you to buy shit if you want to upgrade and create city’s. Kinda annoying when you just have enough resources and you then are forced to do so.

6. Ginger Yellow says:

I played the beta for a while, but it felt too similar to Ikariam for me to bother playing through it again.

7. Dizet Sma says:

I was part of ye olde beta and it soon became more grindy than a big bag full of grindy things. Has this improved, I wonder?

8. monkeymonster says:

I too was part of the beta and got far too grindy. That and the gameaholics who were on it 247 with their uber deals and large trading conglomerates railroaded to the top echelon. There is also an over reliance of the market scheme that if you happen to be near dunces can rather ruin your game.
    Travian at least had the fear of attack and you can’t lose your city afaik in this. Nicely done an all and made me buy children of the nile (which I dip into now and again) but I found it as badly addictive as travian.
    You might think you will stay away and only access ever few hours… Yeah Right!

9. M_the_C says:

I found this a while back and was disappointed it wasn’t some sort of free, online Children of the Nile sequel.

I’ve had enough of browser-based games for the moment.