Best Of the Vest: X-Men Origins: Wolverine

By Jim Rossignol on March 11th, 2009 at 8:32 am.

Another superhero film, another superhero game. Wolverine will be appearing in his own third-person action adventures from May 1st. The Unreal-powered stabbing game sure does look pretty, but I sense there may be little more to this than a series of beat ‘em up clearances, and some spectacular quick-time events. Yes, I’m being all sulky and sceptical and adolescent – Watchmen syndrome? – you don’t have to take my forecast for granted: the hair-horned one gets violent after the jump.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Ian says:

Some cool-looking moments and the game does appear quite pretty, but…. there’s just something that looks unsatisfying about the combat.

2. NuZZ says:

Nice trailer. I bet it will be a linear experience though. Fear 2 was generally fun and linear, but it has guns.

3. Theoban says:

I still have a soft spot for X-Men themed games ever since X-Men on the Megadrive.

Mind you Wolverine’s shit, give me a Psylocke game any day!

4. PC Monster says:

Aaah, there’ll be none of that Watchmen-rape shenanigans here – wolverine is designed for such treatment.

Looks brutal, but in a child-friendly way (no limbs springing free, I see). Could be a giggle.

5. Bananaphone says:

I guess we’ll get the usual red mist to simulate damage, but with Wolverine this actually makes sense. Be cool if you could see his flesh getting damaged and repairing itself mid-fight.

6. phil says:

The base jumping without a parachute bit looks fun.
    And am I the only one reminded of Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune?

7. Ceremony says:

I’m always surprised at how many consoles these movies ~ games titles always manage to get released on, when so many publishers seem to make a big deal out of it.

8. Helm says:

It might be less well known than Watchmen but the original origin (I’m sorry, English language) of Wolverine was done by Barry Widson Smith, one of my favourite comic book artists. It was called “Weapon X”. While it wasn’t on the level of Watchmen, it is something of a minor masterpiece in my opinion. Amazing merge of lettering/comic art, forward-thinking tricks with panelling and the dialogue captions, amazing use of the then very limited way Marvel colored its comics. And of course very expressively drawn by BWS in his then nascent pre-Raphaellite style. You should all go read it before this movie/game comes out so you can be annoyed all over again like we all were with Watchmen.

There is also a ‘Wolverine: Origins” marvel comic which was a remake along with earlier stuff, I found it very bland as compared to BWSmith’s work.

This game seems more interesting and less insulting that the Watchmen game though simply because I have no sentiment to spare for the character or his legacy. Videogames is what Wolverine longed to be anyway.

9. DeliriumWartner says:

Erm, how do claws allow you to redirect missiles back towards the person who fired it?

10. catmorbid says:

Wtf, I thought this was supposed to be violent and brutal? Not a squirt of blood drawn… Or maybe it’s the stupid trailer… I want gore!!! :P

11. Heliocentric says:

Tey had me at grabbing an unaware soldier through a fence, they lost me at slapping an rpg back at a soldier. Hitting an rpg would detonate it!

12. Zed says:

Hey, it’s alright that this guy has metal coursing through his veins and that people have lasers for eyes and can change the weather by frowning, but god forbid they can rebound rpg missiles.

13. Kast says:

Question is, how could you possibly lose in this game? Wolverine is nigh invincible!

On the other hand, this is one game where magically recharging health makes sense.

14. Lorc says:

Oh come off it; cheap argument. You know full well that’s not how things work.

Accepting a single fantastic premise doesn’t mean that you’re a hypocrite if you don’t like certain others – even within the same work.

Equally, having a fantastic premise doesn’t mean a work has no responsibility to be consistent. You set out the ground rules at the start and then you play by them – changing them halfway through is bad form. People are going to be annoyed if things don’t work the way you led them to expect.

I don’t even care about deflecting rockets but it really gets up my nose when that bloody argument gets trotted out as a discussion ender…

15. Lorc says:

(sorry Kast – not directed at you)

16. JKjoker says:

X-men the last stand was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad that my expectations for this movie are at a record low, i seriously doubt they could disappoint me, but then again, they did make Catwoman (and some others i rather forget)

17. yns88 says:

Eh, I’m too worried about what the movie’s doing with Deadpool to care much about the game for now:

18. yns88 says:

Also, for what it counts, the game is made by Raven Software, and they have yet to release a really bad game. To my knowledge this is also their first movie adaptation though, so we’ll see.

19. Optimaximal says:

Actually, hitting it on the detonator would detonate it (hence the name). Hitting it anywhere else wouldn’t do a thing.

20. Heliocentric says:

Fancy trying it?

21. Dave Gates says:

The comic is very good btw, get it post-haste.

22. Klumhru says:

Hmm, let’s see

Through-fence grab: QTE probably
    Helicopter minigun dodging: QTE definately
    Jump from truck to truck: QTE
    RPG reflect (uh, lol?): prolly just a dodge
    Collapsing rope-bridge-jump: QTE

So, in the latter half that shows at least some in-game footage, one sequence is actual game-play and the rest is bullshit quick-time crapola.

Much love for Weapon-X, much hate for console cockage.

23. PC Monster says:

“The comic is very good btw, get it post-haste”

Really? We must not be reading the same comics. Civil War – Wolverine regrows himself completely from just a few non-incinerated cells in just a few minutes which, I’m sure you’ll agree, pushes the idea of a mutant ‘healing factor’ into nigh-supernatural territory. Also, we learn that every time he dies he literally has to fight the spirit of death before he can return. Then he gets his ass handed to him by Wild Child, and learns he and Sabertooth are the embodiements of feral archetypes stretching back through to the dawn of man who – shock horror – have been at each other’s throats all that time. Oh, and Sabertooth eats the midriff of Feral (or Thorrn – can’t remember which), all because some Uber-bad dude has some all-encompassing power over feral types.

Sounds to me more like shark-jumping desperation from the writers there than anything I’d class as ‘good’.

24. Nero says:

Could this be GOTY 2009? I think so, just look at the pretty graphics. Looks nothing like other Unreal powered games.

25. JKjoker says:

regenerating himself from a few cells left ? it was idiotic when dragon ball did it, and it still is, maybe with his upper torso left but a few cells … every time he cuts his hair or nails or goes to a spa you get a few dozen/hundred new wolvies running around …

26. PC Monster says:

…which is oddly, ironically, like the Ao Jun character he and Domino encountered during the Grant Morrison run of New X-Men. Dead skin cells turned into shambling ‘golem’ replicas. Dialogue from the issue:

Domino: “Get this for official worst mutant gift ever: hair, skin flakes, dandruff – anything he sheds grows into a short-lived, briefly conscious, totally naked Ao Jun golem.”
    Wolverine: “Some people get all the breaks.”

…aaaaand I think that’s me done revealing my Uber-Geek credentials. *shuffles off, stage left*

Comment on this story