Hey Little Sister, What Have You Done?

By Alec Meer on March 12th, 2009 at 10:19 am.

In an internet-shattering world-exclusive, RPS is the very last site on the entire web to report the hot gossip about Bioshock 2. Very soon, a pair of magazines will be spilling the details on the sequel to 2K’s Great FPS With The Terrible Ending – PC Gamer UK’s special 200th issue, and America’s Game Informer. The cover to the latter has been revealed, and it confirms one of the recent rumours about the game: Big Sisters. Or a Big Sister, anyway.

(Clicky for the full cover image).

First impressions? As in, lazy, judging-book-by-its-cover impressions? Well, presumably it means a repositioning of Bioshock’s key foe as speedy and athletic, rather than lumbering and brutal. That’ll certainly change the challenge they present, but I can’t help but feel the concept’s really tawdry. No doubt there’ll be some interesting plot points along the lines of this is what happens to Little Sisters when they grow up and how it’s a reversal of Rapture’s primarily patriarchal society, but I can’t help but roll my eyes at the obviousness of it. Batman must have a Batgirl, Spider-Man must have a Spider-Woman… Ugh, can’t we have a new concept instead of yet another take on Successful Geek Icon, Now With Boobs? (I do fully admit, it’s not exactly Power-Girl: it’s more the concept of Character X, But A Girl! as an overused sequel/spin-off trick).

Of course, Bioshock 2 could well subvert that cliche, in the same way the first game supposedly pastiched the linear nature of the FPS genre. Still, this pic seems so over-stylised, in stark contrast to the uncanny familiarity of the Daddies’ vintage diving suit getup. Perhaps, though, that hints at a society more exposed to modern culture than Rapture’s, and thus less time-lost.

But hell, I’m being far too judgemental. It is after all just a cover image, designed to be instantly engaging first and foremost – I’m sure there’ll be far more thought and subtlety in the game itself. More details on which we’ll have soon, presumably and hopefully. And hey, maybe the character shown isn’t, in fact ‘Big Sister’, in which case I’m going to look like a right goon.

Note that, interestingly, the cover claims the game involves a “return to Rapture”, which seems at odds with theories Bioshock 2 would involve a second underwater city. So how’s that going to work, d’you reckon?

Oh, another rumour, which sounds a little too ridiculous, is that Big Sister here will be accompanied by… Little Daddies. Really?

, , .

1. Bobsy says:

On “return to Rapture”: they could just be wrong.

2. phil says:

To be fair, this particular reinvention of a successful geek icon does not appear to have boobs, though it is difficult to tell through the diving suit.

I’m personally looking forward to battling the Big Mama queen splicer, in an endboss battle set in a self-destructing throne room.

3. Wedge says:

Yeah I still can’t fathom any justification for this game existing. Oh right, other than the making fucktons of money with it part.

Actually wait, if they made the musical motif for the game focused around Billy Idol, THAT would make it worth it.

4. Markoff Chaney says:

As always, I am in awe of y’alls collective reporting prowess. Please continue to focus us on the smaller, easier to slip by us releases and allow the rest of the gaming media to inundate us with the big named releases. At least we get enjoyable, mirth inducing insight from you lot when you get to it. I’m sure we’ll get enough of this game slapping us in the face somewhere, if we haven’t already. Other locations’ coverage of The Path or The Void or Zeno Clash is practically non-existent and usually derivative of your reportage. Keep up the excellent work, Sirs.

I did enjoy the original, even if it wasn’t as deep as SS2. I had fun (up to a point) and enjoyed the mechanics to a degree. At least I have a big daddy to threaten my bobble head. He don’t seem too worried though. He just keeps smiling.

5. fishmitten says:

It is hugely unlikely that the charm and freshness of Bioshock will carry over into a sequel. It was a one-off classic if ever I played one and I think it’s a shame they are forcing it into being a series.

6. shamanic miner says:

It’s Ms. Pac-Man all over again ;)

7. Gap Gen says:

I wonder whether this game will make a “would you kindly” point on the nature of buying sequels to games that were ostensibly finished. Or maybe I’m just a cynic.

8. Man Raised By Puffins says:

I dunno, could be kind of cute to have wee nippers dressed in a diving suit two sizes too big and with a bucket on their head leaping at you with a cordless Black & Decker drill.

9. wardrox says:

Little Daddies, where did you get such a silly idea? *chuckles mischievously*

10. Radiant says:

Maybe they got married?
    It is a nice day for a white wedding.

I hope they do change the setting of this game; the last games narrative was heavily informed by what and where the city was.

I’d hate a retread of the first game that filled in more of the ‘story’ considering so much of the story was self exploratory and suggested; something that made it work in the first instance.

11. ChaosSmurf says:

I approve greatly of the title of this story.

Also: I’ll just sit here and be genuinely excited about as sequel to a game for once. Yeah, how the fuck dare I.

12. AndrewC says:

Wait, so the whole point about Big Daddies was the arc of dehumanisation and the crippling aspects of relying on technology.

And then they go and make them sexy?

13. Bahamut says:

And why Big Sisters ?
    So Mutated women can’t have childs ? Why not Big Mommies.

It’s too “dynamic”, too stylish to be in the rapture universe. It’s like a “manga-like” remake.

Need the heavy slow pace and so “cool” big daddies back

14. PC Monster says:

Let it go, Andrew. We’ve lost Bioshock to Popular Culture, where decisions are made to entice the lowest common demnominator, not we starving intellectuals.

15. lumpi says:

Traditionally, computer game sequels have often been pretty good. So I give them the benefit of the doubt.

Catwoman, Spiderwoman… hehe, you got a point, though. :D

16. Nick says:

Bioshock was always pop culture.

17. hydra9 says:

I can’t imagine anyone being fast or agile with that thing on their head. Not to mention the oxygen tank on the back or that peculiar little creature on the left shoulder.

18. Tei says:

This looks ok to me. Original, refrehsing, intriguing. I like it.

Some ideas of Bioshok are interesting.. original for a corridor shotter. And you can always add more corridors to a corridor shotter, and maybe 3 new monsters to kill. Call it a “map expansion pack” if you wish… but any game has the potential to reinvent itself, If the dev’s even try. No reason to be negative here. ..now.

19. John says:

Three Australian magazines will also soon be spilling the beans on BioShock 2.

20. indirectx says:

Right on, Tei.

21. Über Nerd says:

GladOs face is too obvious.

22. Simon says:

That look reminds me of something.

Ah, right, a female version of this guy:
    All that form fitting fetish gear that she’s got is a lot like him.

So if they actually work from a theme of using in horror as disturbing rather then titilating (more like Alien then like Friday the 13th, or in the game realm more like Haunting Ground and less like Resident Evil) then this could be interesting.

No doubt that would have been the expectation across the board if this image was from Irrational or someone else with a strong reputation rather then whomever is doing this sequel.

23. Tei says:

The human brain is excellent to recognize patterns. Maybe too much good for his own good. Can even see “faces” on the fron of car and trains. And this why all spaceships look like either StarTrek or StarWars for most people. Or a green monster as to be either Hulk or a WoW Orc.
    All of this mean that the link could be just a ghost and theres is not link. this may look like your favorite Street Figther monster, or GlaDOS, but It don’t mean theres any link to that.

24. rob says:

11/10 – Eurogamer

25. cyrenic says:

So is that Miss Bubbles or Mrs. Bubbles?

26. MetalCircus says:

Pretty sure Levine isn’t on board for this one is he?

27. Jim Rossignol says:

Levine is working on whatever 2K Boston is doing now. I believe the Bioshock 2 lead is Jordan “The Cradle” Thomas.

28. Captain Bland says:

And also, Jordan “Fort Frolic” Thomas. I am really excited about this whole thing, despite not having any idea how the series might progress.

29. Hermit says:

I can’t really remember if there was a reason all the Big Daddies were male. I know only the little sisters were able to process the ADAM, but I can’t recall anything specific about the Big Daddies. Maybe pheremones were involved.

One theory I have heard is that it isn’t “Big Sisters” plural, but one specific woman, possibly a mad scientist turned orphanage owner.

Personally I’m looking forward to learning about the gameplay – will it still be a linear shooter or will we get the freedom to explore? Will some of the features which got cut from the first game (Like on-the-fly weapon customisation) be in there?

30. Alec Meer says:

I did wonder if it might be Tenembaum. Given her story and role basically dwindled into nothing in Bioshock 1′s latter half.

31. Anthony says:

On the one hand, I’d love to go back to Rapture.

On the other hand, the place was falling apart when we visited it the first time. I can’t imagine the (however many) years in between have been good to it, especially when you’ve left it in the hands of a few degenerate splicers.

Also, much like M. Night “What a Twist” Shaylaman, they’ve already blown the metaphorical load first time around. Wouldn’t everyone be looking out for a twist this time?

Despite this I’ll probably still buy it. I’m such a whore for the whole grimy art-deco theme they did so well.

32. Gap Gen says:

Bahamut: Maybe, but suggesting the game was inspired by Big Momma’s House probably isn’t the best idea for 2K.

33. Zuffox says:

I feel sad for BioShock for people not spelling it with a capital S. :(

So popular, yet so neglected.

34. Mr Wonderstuff says:

That title is a reference from Icehouse’s ‘Hey little sister’?

35. hydra9 says:

I do like the idea of one crazy person dressing up as The ‘Big Sister.’

And I agree with Tei: A single image isn’t a reason to be negative.

36. phil says:

Tenembaum as a Big Sister would be an interesting proposition, my only problem with the Daddies was their annominity, you never got the sense of who they were pre-Daddification (which I suppose was the point.)

A righteously furious Tenembaum, gunning for the first game’s player character, now dictator, could be considerably more interesting.

Kelron says:

It does look like the kind of thing I’d expect from a cheap cash-in sequel. Maybe I’m being unfair, based on one picture. I hope I’m being unfair, but this isn’t promising.

Bioshock introduced a new and interesting setting, and the Big Daddies were iconic of it. The second time round, the setting will have lost some its impact and the developers will need to do something more if they want to make it a memorable game. Uninventive Big Daddy variants are not going to help.

38. Mr Wonderstuff says:

“That title is a reference from Icehouse’s ‘Hey little sister’?”

Ack its bloody Billy Idol…forgive my 80s forgetfulness.

39. qrter says:

That cover looks ridiculous.

Why would a woman transformed into a Big Daddy look anything different?

And why call her a Big Sister, not a Big Mommy?

40. Captain Bland says:

Spoilers:

If it was Tenenbaum it would be at odds with her closing statements in the ‘good’ ending. She seemed to want the player to help get the Little Sisters to the surface, so kidnapping them again would be nonsensical. On the other hand, it wouldn’t exactly be the first time that she’s contradicted her goals.

41. modulus says:

I didn’t really feel a strong connection to the original. At all. Ahh, ok, so you’re telling me all that me grubbin’ around I did in Rapture was just because you kindly asked me? Hmm, well, no. I did what you kindly asked me because well, y’know, there was nothing else. What do you want me to do, Mr. Atlas? Not play your damnable game? Sure thing.

I very much doubt I’ll be purchasing this. Least not until a $5 sale on steam…

42. Heliocentric says:

To be honest… Nothing in that cover tells me that the big daddy mk2 is infact female any more than the old bigdaddies were(i always assumed they were an even mix). But a lighter faster and loaded with steroi- (i mean) plasmids.

43. Jim Rossignol says:

“Bioshock 2: Big Momma’s House”

44. Malagate says:

Hang on, the “Big Sister” is the one in the diving suit? Huh, I just thought of the young woman in the cage as being the big sister, whereas the diving suit person was just a Big Daddy 2.0. Either way the diving suit looks genderless to me, even Samus in her Chozo suit has more curves than that one.

45. The Sombrero Kid says:

btw there’s another image of the big sister floating around with a cot on her back and a little sister inside, so it’s unlikely there’ll be little daddys I reckon

46. The Sombrero Kid says:

lol whoops it’s the one you linked ignore me

47. the revealer says:

SPOILERZZZZZZZZ (do not read if you wanna be unspoilt for a sequel to a crappy overrated game)

you will play a big daddy. your foes are big sisters

48. Crane says:

Uhm. Hmmm. *more noises of informed-sounding ignorance*

I don’t know…
    If we have Big Sisters carrying Little Sisters on their shoulders… Here’s a question: why is everyone assuming that they are enemies?

Unless there’s been a writeup that I missed, it could even be the case that the Big Sisters are down there to help rescue more Little Sisters from Rapture.

Also, why would there be a marking on a previously unnotable part of the ocean on the teaser site, if we’re just going back to Rapture? I suspect that a large part of the game will be in a different underwater city, and that fixing whatever is wrong there will require a trip to the broken ruins of Rapture later in the game.

49. the revealer says:

but I’m sure Mr.gillen will love it and find elaborte words to put his fandom into writing and dismiss all the stupid haters

50. Captain Bland says:

What would be useful would be if someone located where the original city was on google maps using the co-ordinates form the first game.