Theatre Of War 2: Afrika 1943 Demo

By Jim Rossignol on March 13th, 2009 at 6:24 pm.

‘Tis the season to be inundated with World War II real-time strategy games. The most recent is this: the dusty North African sequel to the original Theatre of War, and what the creators claim is the “most realistic WWII game ever”. So realistic it’ll leave sand in your tea, or something. The 786mb demo features a tutorial level and what is apparently a single level from the US campaign, “The Battle of Sidi Bou Zid”. I’ve not had a chance to play it yet, so perhaps someone who has will kindly share their thoughts on it below.

The full game is out in the 24th of April, and there’s a whole bunch of money-saving pre-order shenanigans going on over at there developer’s online publishing portal here.

, , .

1. Smurfy says:

Cool.

2. Senethro says:

(X of Y WWII game lol)

3. unclelou says:

Unacceptably horrible performance on a C2D with a 260 GTX, on medium settings, I am afraid.

4. Mad Doc MacRae says:

I hate games that give me about 50 infantrymen who I have to order around separately. Through a village with no cover. As far as I know, soldiers didn’t deploy in even lines since the turn of the century (1900). Why make me control my infantry like that?

5. Sam C says:

I’d have to second the pretty choppy performance, and I have a AMD 64X2, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600. It looks pretty, if very pixelated with AA off.

I wasn’t too impressed. The tutorial was pretty much worthless, it just gave you orders and didn’t explain them, you’d be lost if you hadn’t played an RTS at all. The voicework is at least a higher caliber than Men of War, but it’s very repetitive.

I got slaughtered in the mission that comes with it, I’m not sure how else I’m supposed to approach a desert objective, as MacRae said, with no cover. It does look very detailed, but there are too many soldiers to control to even begin to dig very deep into the myriad of options. No immediately obvious squad system, the battle was pretty much select a group of tiny pixel men and send them towards the enemy. Not helped by the camera that doesn’t zoom out far enough to get a really good view of the battle.

It wasn’t all that fun, to be frank. I couldn’t really tell what was going on. Maybe it just takes more time, but I certainly wasn’t very involved, it didn’t grab me like Combat Mission. Actually, I’d say get Combat Mission: Afrika Korps instead, since it does the same thing with less shiny and a lot more control. Just my two cents.

6. Gap Gen says:

As long as they leave the bromide out, I’d be OK with a bit of sand in my tea.

7. Sam C says:

Well, I tried it again, and it was better. It just took a slower, more methodical approach. Very slow, actually, it ended in a tedious house to house search until every last enemy was dead. The slowdown was even worse once the battle got started, pretty much a slideshow. The friendly AI is pretty good, it fought the battle by itself once they were moved into place.

8. Cypher says:

After MoW (which is just brill), this was a slog to play. Real hard work. It feels bloated and slow, and the gui is hard work. Ai is wobbly (see MoW for how it should be done), and having stuffed my face on DoW2, MoW recently, not having a proper ‘cover’ system (amongst many other things) left me decidedly underwhelmed.
    Some lovely bugs too, like the hilarious crouch/stand jig all my inf started doing whenever left to their own devices. Well, that’s when they wern’t gleefully taking HE rounds in the face WITH NO REACTION WHATSOEVER.
    I got stung with the original game, and even with the sweetners, I’ll be passing.

9. Nick says:

No, it’s a rare dialect of sumerian.

10. Cypher says: