Igualdade, Liberdade e Fraternidade

By Tim Stone on March 15th, 2009 at 10:55 pm.

After last Sunday’s peek into the peculiar world of German simulations, I thought I’d go mainstream this week and draw attention to a free Portuguese-language action-adventure featuring swordplay, art appreciation, and conversations with Voltaire and Rousseau. Having stumbled through about twenty minutes of Tríade so far, I’m convinced it’s both “The finest Brazilian-made game about the French Revolution I have ever played” and also “Probably not worth downloading”.

The fact that a Brazilian dev has made a French Revolution game isn’t nearly as weird as it sounds. Of the handful of studios operating in that part of the world, most of them seem to be engaged in projects celebrating social upheaval. Donsoft have just completed the first episode of Capoeira Legends, a game about a Nineteenth Century slave who kicks his way to freedom with the help of a balletic Brazilian martial-art. I don’t think ACE Team  have much to fear, but it’s nice to find a dev that isn’t afraid of the ‘s’ word.

And meanwhile, up north, a university-based team from Para are busy fiddling with Jogo da Cabanagem,  an “Educational Playful Electronic Game of Strategy” (Babel Fish) set a few years after Capoeira Legends, during the Cabanagem uprising.

Oi! Creative Assembly, you big reactionaries, where’s my English Revolution game?

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Pijama says:

The fact that I, being a Brazilian, have to come to an English game blog or *insert your current definition here* to know about such thing tells much about the sorry state of affairs that is gaming business down here.

Also, seeing the title in Portuguese was quite shocking in a positive way.

2. Mike says:

You mean there’s a gap in the market for Rocha, Papel, Escopeta?

3. Pijama says:

Precisely. :)

4. Guto says:

Yes, being a brazilian I was really surprised seeing this post title. It’s pretty nice to see that there are some people still trying to make games here, I’m just hoping that they are any good.

5. maicon says:

some people are making cool stuff here in brazil these days, take a look at some games like city rain (http://www.cityrainbs.com/), or our space mmo taikodom (http://taikodom.com/) that apeared in ieee spectrum last year (http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/aug08/6493/4). the brazilian games industry created a organization to help developers and the governmet is tryng to help too, you can download some of the awarded games in one of the competitions backed by these efforts here http://www.abragames.org/JogosBR.html

6. Mike says:

City Rain looks seriously good fun. Off to try that now.

Sagan says:

If this were to become a regular thing, that would be awsome. The Daily WTF for gaming. (except it’s weekly)

This week leaves me clueless for an entirely different reason than last week’s topic:
    I always thought bad games were made because companies wanted to get money out of people who don’t know any better.
    But why do these people make games? Can they not tell that their games don’t work? Should they not get frustrated when they can’t figure it out? Dont they realize, that whatever it is they wanted to create, or whatever they wanted to tell us about, is completely lost? And what makes them think that they can charge for something like that Capoeira game?

Also how can that Jogo da Cabanagem possibly require PhysX?

8. Mike says:

I think the thing is that developing something teaches you a lot about development. Playing games teaches you only so much.

Plus, we need more games about fight-dancing slaves and philosophical beat-em-ups.

9. maicon says:

yeah, the old tetris style never fail. and sorry for my basic english grammar mistakes, i’m an engrish speaker, hahaha

10. Mike says:

I played CityRain. Really nice idea. I was terrible at it, but for a Flash game it’s very compact and neat in its design.

11. EGTF says:

I saw the picture and wondered why Guybrush Threepwood was getting held up at gunpoint initally.

12. Lambo says:

Haha, the capoeira Legends trailer made me think i had done something very very bad and i was about to remove and melt my hardrive after seeing 1:22. After making treble sure that it was a false statement I think it must be just a very alrmingtypo :)

Still though, i guess the reasons bad games get released is because if a dev somewhat makes a attempt at a game and it turns out crap by the end of it, I think they just try to make whatever the cost was by hopefully getting a few sales. Maybe even if they do think it is rubbish they might still hope that someone they sell the game to will enjoy it. Or maybe they’re just very very stupid. (oh and I’m not particularly talking about the devs of these 2 games, just in general)

13. FernandoDANTE says:

Pedra, Papel, Espingarda!

14. Thiefsie says:

I’m sorry, but am I missing the humour here as these ‘games’ look like utter shite??

15. mashakos says:

A game about capoeira ! By Brazilians!! Too bad it looks like crap, would have been a must buy if it was at least halfway decent.

Oh well, at least there’s Tekken 6… Not on your PC

16. Martin K says:

Granted, these games look…distinctly under-done, and barely viable as anything besides in-house alphas, let alone full-blown products, but I suppose the fact there is any game development going on at all in Brazil is, in itself, worthy of note.

17. Tiago Sá says:

Pedra, papel, caçadeira, please.

Anyway, it’s good to see this kind of stuff. We over here in Portugal are still developing crappy “casual” games for handheld and stuff… I guess any industry taking its first steps is bound to waste talent in less than average games. It’s a shame, it really is, but well, here’s hoping that better times are coming :sheers:

E uma grande saudação lá para baixo! Valeu galera!

18. Pijama says:

Opa. Grande Tiago! :)

And since you started it, we stand by ESPINGARDA.

(introducing foreigners to our “the same but different” languages… hours of fun.)

19. drewski says:

I wonder if it would literally take hours to whip through the variations in idoma between Portuguese and, er, Brasilian Portuguese? I don’t even know what to call it.

20. malkav11 says:

I’d be tempted to give Triade a go if I spoke (or more importantly, read) Portuguese, but I don’t.

21. alseT says:

I found an earlier and less polished version of CityRain over here for those who are interested. It’s the full game and freeware.

22. cowthief skank says:

Might give this a go as it may help my Portuguese studies. Always good to have stuff to read / watch, to learn the language, even if the game is shite.

Re the differences between Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese, my teacher is Brazilian and one guy in the class frequently asks him to ‘correct’ himself as he wants to learn European…

23. Raphael says:

Hi there!

I’m a designer from the Tríade staff, and it makes me really happy to see that our game has come to be known by someone so far from home. Actualy, I’m very curious about how did you get to know our games.

The games commented in the post, and many others which are being produced here, are only going out to the public, because all the developers are making huge efforts.
    Here in Brazil, we have many problems with getting resources to produce games. In a country with so many social and economic problems, it’s a real challenge to convince someone to sponsor this kind of project, specialy when it’s the kind of thing who needs a good amount of money. The solution to many of us was to use goverment fundings, or personal resources, wich are very limited, so we always tried to take the best results out of the time and money that we have.

It’s understandable that some of the comments doesn’t give the fair amount of credit for all of the jobs done here, because there is a huge gap between the realities of europe/USA and here. I’m pretty sure that we are making progress and that we are opening many doors to future game developers.

My best regards, and sorry for the bad english.

See ya.

24. Camila says:

Hello!

I think it is important before “judge” the game, knowing a bit of context. The Triade is not a commercial game, but we wanted him to approach the maximum that possible. A game for educational purposes and teaching, and believe that the scope of the school he is a spread, at least here in Brazil, where the educational technology resources are in most cases, boring and repetitive. The Triad has opened an unprecedented way here and I believe that this is proven, since out of all the boundaries of schools in Bahia, through the continent and was regarded as a common commercial game. That, to me that I was part of the team’s itinerary is not demerit, but PRIDE.
    Hugs and apologies for poor English.
    Camila

25. Arivan says:

I was a member of the Triade project, and as my colleagues have spoken, I believe that a little
    of context will help you to write a comment more constructive and less arrogant.

First, the Triade IS NOT a commercial game, and it was a pilot project. For a heavy-player, like you said,
    not worth downloading, but it proposital is not that. If you downloaded the game thinking “I will play a French
    revolution God Of War”, was your fault.

Second, projects for development of games engaged in social issues are not usually developed
    for Brazilian games studios, like you said, but by academic initiatives, in most cases, experimentals.
    The Brazilian games studios work more in mobile games and advergames market, and the games produced are competitive
    and are being marketed worldwide. In case of serious games, as Rafael said, there is a big difference to the
    Brazilian reality and the reality of Europe / USA, but the Brazilian industry is moving a lot.

Third, I think as the writer of a blog with so much visibility and respect, you should
    have a larger basement to write your posts, understanding what you’re talking about.

best regards

26. Tim Stone says:

Greetings Triade Team! Lovely to see you here, and apologies if my “Probably not worth downloading” comment caused offence (It was less an assessment of quality, more an acknowledgement that people with no Portuguese probably wouldn’t have much fun playing your game)

Raphael: I stumbled upon Triade while doing some research into Southlogic (Brazil’s biggest games studio?)

Camila and Arivan: I understand that Triade was designed as an educational game, but why did you decide to base it on the French Revolution? Why not celebrate/explore Brazilian history?

27. Alexandre says:

Tim, I was a member of Triade too. It’s an educational game made with founds of government. The propose is make a game to teach History in school talking about French Revolution, because to take founds of government you need to make a project, and at the moment we’re preparing the project , the people whose write it, they had material talking about French Revolution, and it was easy to talk about it. And the French Revolution was too importing in Brazil, because it influenced so many history social movements here. But now, we are making a game of the history of Bahia.
    best regards, and sorry about my English.

28. Tim Stone says:

Best of luck with the Bahia project Alexandre. It’s nice to see a studio amateur or otherwise rooting a games in local culture/history. Here in the UK we’re tripping over developers, but few seem brave or curious enough to explore the rich historical source material all around them. Who needs another story set in a hackneyed sci-fi/fantasy/post-apocalypse world when there’s mind-bogglingly exotic worlds like Seventeenth Century London or Anglo-Saxon Wessex sitting there virtually untouched.

29. Raphael says:

Tim, I totaly agree with you.

Seems like the UK is way out of this kind of games while France, Italy, USA and many others countries are constantly exploring their history on many great titles! Like you said, there are so many aspects to be explored and they could even get it out of books like they do with Tom Clancy. Bernard Cornwell’s work is a must-do!

30. Quests says:

Wow, talk about a piece of crap.

31. north face denali says:

Thanks again for providing this content for free.

32. north face outlet says:

I found your blog on Yahoo and I just wanted to say that I think your writing is simply stunning!