Gromit, Inducing: Wallace & Gromit Demo

By Kieron Gillen on March 17th, 2009 at 12:20 pm.

It's the wrong parser formatting, Gromit

Fans of the most critically acclaimed lumps of plasticine this side of Orson Welles – who was secretly molded by a very young Tony Hart and let loose as a Golem to revolutionise cinema – will be overjoyed of the release of Telltale’s Wallace and Gromit’s Grand Adventures demo. And if that takes your fancy, there’s an offer to pre-order all four episodic games for 26 dollars - a saving of some money over the standard post-release price. Er… “Gromit, Inducing” is meant in a “Release Gromit” way rather than a comment on the demo’s quality, as we haven’t played it yet. And enough pun over-defensiveness – there’s a demo and a random tiny Wallace & Gromit related anecdote below.

Okay, unlike the rest of the Lilly-livered RPSers, I used to live on the mean streets of Bristol. Everyone was enormously proud of Aardman animation being in town, understandably. I was also living there when there was a serious fire at Aardman’s warehouse. Realising what the smoke drifting from the other side of town was a bit humbling – but the bit which stuck in my mind was what a friend of a friend saw when she got up in the morning. She was a few streets over from the factory where all those Morph, Wallace & Gromit props and characters burned. She got out to find all the cars covered with a thin layer of ash, like some kind of Plasticine-character Vesuvian remains. It’s not much of a story, but I still like the image.

So, videogames, eh?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Alex says:

W&G are responsible for some of my early proto-gaming experiences.
    They used to have a magazine that *shame blush* was about science, and stuff, and if you were lucky came with a floppy disc of semi-educational, I guess, games.

2. Alex says:

(So, yes, the mention of Aardman is clearly license for unrelated nostalgic anecdotes. You’ve unleashed a monster, Gillen.)

3. LewieP says:

My next door neighbor used to do claymation in his spare time. He was a little weird though.

4. BooleanBob says:

The pun was both laboured and misleading, but the Orson Welles joke made my week.

As every right-thinking person should know, mathematically it can be proven that more Wallace and Gromit means that the sum total of Love in the world increases significantly. I’m not sure if that’s true for something animated by computer rather than stop-motion, however. We shall have to wait and see.

5. gulag says:

Y’know, I’m not usually one to make any kind of gripe over graphics, but a W&G game could do with some more… I don’t know, ‘texture’? The films are packed with beautifully crafted props and characters, it’s a shame to see the same realised in such flat shapes.

Gripes aside, it looks like a laugh. BTW, and far more importantly, who’s writing the episodes?

6. The Sombrero Kid says:

so anyone played it yet then? i want to know if it’s any good.

7. cliffski says:

this game just crashed when I clicked ‘through’ it to the vista sidebar, now its scrambled where my taskbar sits and I cant restore it.
    Bloody monkeys.
    I dont think I’ll be buying…

8. Optimaximal says:

QFT!

9. Meat Circus says:

Well, if these are as good as Strong Bad’s Cool Game For Attractive People I will be happy.

If they’re as bad as Sam and Max, I won’t.

10. El Stevo says:

Who is voicing Wallace? It doesn’t sound like Peter Sallis.

11. Swainy says:

Either that isn’t Peter Sallis or he really couldn’t be arsed to voice act for this piece. Wallace sounds so monotone and flat!

12. TheLordHimself says:

Yeah it sound’s like someone else, but its not a bad impression if it is, needs to speed up though.

13. TheLordHimself says:

Actually, it wouldn’t be a bad idea (though a bit morbid) if they got some replacements lined up anyway, cause he is like like 88 now.

14. RLacey says:

It’s the official stand-in for Sallis, apparently (the one that does all the novelty christmas gift recordings and whatnot). I agree that he’s a poor substitute.

I thought that the demo was a tad too easy, but I guess that’s to be expected from snapshots of the very first episode. Will probably be buying this.

15. Larington says:

Hmm, honestly not too keen on the change of voice actor. I’m sure hes trying his best, but its just not the saaaaaame.

16. mrrobsa says:

It looks like a damn fine interpretation of the duo, but I agree with others when I say it still needs…something. A bit more colour or texture or life, because yeah, it’s a wee bit sparse and flat.

17. Dan says:

Can’t really say I’m too impressed to be honest. I was a fan of Telltale’s Sam & Max games but something really seems off about this.

I have to admit, they got the models for Wallace and Gromit down pat, and the van section towards the end of the demo was pretty cool. I don’t have any problems with the voice actor myself either.
    But the music just sounds dreadful to me, not sure whether it’s just my crappy sound card, but I honestly can’t stand the music. Plus it almost completely drowns out the voices in some parts.
    Voice compression is awful too. I can’t say I noticed it with the Sam & Max games as much, but here it’s really really bad.
    Then there’s the little glitches like Wallace teleporting about when he’s opening the back gate, and some of the animation seems a bit off somehow. Might be problems with my computer rather than the game, but I’m not sure.

Much as I love Wallace and Gromit, I think I’m going to have to give this a miss, or at least wait until they start giving away some episodes for free like they’ve done with their other games.

18. The Poisoned Sponge says:

I posted up my impressions here. And, s’far as I know, I think Aardman’s on board to do the writing, which, given the name of the stories (‘Fright of the Bumblebees’, ‘The Last Resort’, ‘Muzzled!’ and ‘The Bogey Man’) doesn’t sound too preposterous.

19. Vandelay says:

The voice acting was a problem. It just isn’t the same without Peter Sallis, no matter how good this guys impression is. And to be fair to him it isn’t too bad, particularly as the episode goes on. But still, it is lacking when you do not have the original voice act doing the part, particularly one as iconic as Wallace.

Besides that, it was enjoyable but not great. Humour was partly there, but I didn’t pick up on any background gags that the films are full of. I was glancing at the books in the background during the opening tutorial level, expecting some amusing names there, but I could only make out ‘The War of the Roses.’ In hindsight, as the episode is about bees and flowers that does work as a gag, but at the time I didn’t realise that that was what the episode was about. I didn’t pick up on any others, except for the nods to the previous films, such as the gnomes and the spinning pond, but I expected more of this style of humour throughout.

With Sam and Max I took a wait and see attitude. The mixed comments never really enthralled me and even playing the free episode didn’t leave me with any lasting impressions, even though that was supposed to be the best episode. I expect I will have a similar attitude to this.

20. Pags says:

I had been semi-excited by the prospect of this one, but when I found out Peter Sallis wasn’t involved, I lost a lot of interest. I know that really it’s a petty problem, but Wallace is Wallace and hearing another voice there (no matter how good the impression) is always going to seem a bit weird.

I may be tempted to give it a go if reviews of it are positively glowing, but for now I’m just not tempted enough to give the demo a go and make up my own mind. I know that makes me a bad person, but that’s just the way I am.

21. Agrajg says:

I wonder if the game is DX9 or 10.1.

22. The_B says:

I for one, love Wallace & Gromit. And I have to say I was very impressed with the demo. Agreed that it didn’t yet have quite the same number of little aside jokes in the demo, but it’s definitely convinced me of a purchase.

My only two real issues with the demo are similar to what others have said: needs more Peter Salis, and PLEASE TELLTALE SORT OUT THE GODAWFUL SOUND QUALITY ON THE SPEECH. Other than that, big thumbs up from me.

23. KBKarma says:

@Alex: I remember that! I still remember the issue I got about computing, which included stuff on binary (which I forgot for over ten years), and stuff about bits, bytes, floppies, etc. It was great.

24. Smurfy says:

Ugh. Needs more Peter Sallis.

25. Vandelay says:

Oh, something I forget to mention – Please give a separate music, voice and sound effects option. The music was too loud and made some the speech hard to hear.

26. Smurfy says:

Also THANK GOD TELLTALE ARE DOING NON-DELAYED STEAM RELEASES NOW

27. Mad Doc MacRae says:

Gah, can’t play it until I get back on my real computer next week!

28. LionsPhil says:

At least the not-Peter-Salis is a heck of a lot better than the not-Bill-Farmer who mumbled his way through Telltale’s Sam & Max games.

29. Paul says:

@Alex. I loved those, I was actually looking (in vain) not too long ago, to see if I could find copies of the floppy games on the internet anywhere. “Techno-Quest”, could it be any more nerdy?! lol

30. SmallGods says:

Alas, the voice acting ruins it for me. I was brought up on these rather wonderful animations, and hearing the new voice actor for Wallace just grates against something inside.

Shame, looks rather well done otherwise.

31. Shadowcat says:

Agreed that the Wallace voice is a huge improvement on the Sam and Max voices. Sam and Max were just bad and wrong. I can deal with this Wallace, though.

At least they got Gromit’s voice spot-on :)

Anyway; the demo was enjoyable and quite encouraging, if not outstanding, and it’s certainly a gameplay improvement on the last W&G game I tried!

I look forward to seeing some reviews of the full game.

Comment on this story