Marvel Universe MMO Lives Again

By Jim Rossignol on March 17th, 2009 at 12:55 pm.

Just spotted this over on VG247: MMO company Gazillion (who apparently own Jumpgate developers NetDevil, and are therefore also developing the LEGO Universe MMO) have signed a ten year deal to make Marvel MMOs. The first will be a kids MMO called Super Hero Squad, and then there will be a full blown Marvel Universe MMO.

All of which future angling creates the interesting possibility of a DC vs Marvel MMO rivalry. Interesting times. (Original story here.)

, , .

1. Skwizzal says:

I think I’m crying golden tears of super happy joy.
    Somebody hold me.
    I don’t want this moment to end.

2. Lu-Tze says:

The moment before they release it and it’s dire? I don’t think that the Marvel Universe really fits with a traditional MMO style. Rather something more in the ideal that APB professes, with very PvP centric missions, lots of small instances of the game world, far more action focused, and more than that not overly concerned with exp grind progression.

And, obviously, ridiculous customisation.

3. ChaosSmurf says:

Marvel Zombies MMO/Quest line or GTFO.

4. PC Monster says:

Shortest comment thread…ever. Guess no-one’s interested in a Marvel MMO, Gazillion. Save your money.

5. Lord Skwizzal says:

I’m interested…
    So interested I’m wishing the hole in the center of discs was just slightly bigger…..

6. Bobsy says:

Sigh. Hasn’t the MMO bubble burst yet? I think it has. All I see is a panic-stricken U-turn by Marvel on their realisation that the DCU MMO may actually sell some copies.

7. Skwizzal says:

@Bobsy:
    To be honest, I’m suprised people haven’t looked at Tabula and realised that the MMO rush is damaging more then good for the industry.

It’s like inflation, flood the market with too much of them, and their value plummets expedentially.

And in that climate, only those with a strong foothold in the market; WoW, Runescape, Everquest etc will survive with little damage.

Still, something with as wide appeal as DC/Marvel might break this trend, have a boom like some of the bigger MMOs did (ie warhammer) then settle back down to workable (hopefully) numbers.

Whatever happens, companies need to avoid another TR crisis. That game held more promise then people commonly atrributed to it in my opinion.

Man, that got a bit long eh.

8. Bobsy says:

Plus, we’re in a global recession. Not to get all aggro-face or anything, but if there’s any time to NOT develop games with monthly fees, it’s right now. People get very sharp about value for their money when times are lean.