Cards On The Table: BattleForge Out, Demo

By Jim Rossignol on March 25th, 2009 at 11:05 pm.

EA’s card trading deck-based RTS BattleForge is now available to buy in North America and should hit Europe on Friday. I’ve been playing the beta and had a pretty good time: I think once the card trading and deck building starts in earnest this will be a glowing nerd-elysium. The game feels well-engineered if a little lacking in tactical flare in the campaign mode. But you don’t have to concern yourself with my chatterings because there’s a demo to play. Double launch trailers beyond the click.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Severian says:

I can’t quite get a hold on this one. On the one hand, the concept of having MtG-lite creatures “come to life” and beat the hell out of each other is appealing, but I’m not sure if the real-time combat is compelling enough to pull this off. The joy of deck-building is in synergy, combo’s, and counters – after having played the Beta for a bit, I mostly felt like Batteforge was going to be about “collecting” (buying) the best possible creatures and unleashing them at the right moment. In all honesty, I think I’d rather play an upgraded version of Etherlords. Deck-building + turn-based tactical battles (a la King’s Bountry) = crazy delicious. But I’m speaking from limited experience with this thing, and look forward to reading some reviews.

2. unclelou says:

I haven’t followed the game at all – I suppose it’s more or less multiplayer-only, with the campaign being a tutorial of sorts rather than a full-fledged single-player mode?

3. Tei says:

“EA’s card trading deck-based RTS BattleForge is now available to buy in North America and should hit Europe on Friday.”

We pay *MORE*, we play on the same server, we are allowed to enter on the game *LATER*. On a competitive game, EA is giving the USA players a beachhead.

I have buy the game month ago, and I have receive zero confirmations of the buy. No CD-Key, nothing*. My first confirmation will be the CD-Key to play friday, that will include a download link for the game. IF that emails are sent at all friday, the way EA work ( think Darkfall, only worst ) maybe will be send monday or tuestday next week.

*I have confirmed my transacion with a combulated and horrible way, lets not speak about that here. I don’t want to swear.

4. Okami says:

@unclelou: There is a fully fledged campaign. But as far as I know, it’s strictly a coop affair, with different campaign maps balanced for different numbers of players.

5. Rei Onryou says:

It sounds nice and al, and the PCG review was good, but I don’t like the idea of having to use RL money for more decks etc… If there was a way to earn them through play as well, then I think I may give it a try. :(

6. Okami says:

@Rei: You can earn new cards for defeating bosses in the coop campaign, I think.

7. CogDissident says:

I played the demo. You can only get “new” cards for purchasing it from the store or buying points and using the auction house function to buy a specific card.

The “cards” you get from bosses are only used to upgrade your current cards. You can get “inferno 2″ as a card from a boss, but unless you have purchased “inferno 1″ then its useless. So it is impossible to play this game without paying extra money for cards.

The game looks like it could have been really interesting and wonderful. If it wasn’t so hooked on the “spend real money for cards, all the time” I might have actually purchased it. But the game itself is just a way for EA to milk 100+$ out of each customer.

8. ulix says:

If the game itself was free (or very cheap) people might actually consider playing.
    But paying full price for the game [b]and[/b] additionally for every booster-pack? No thank you.
    With a price-model where players would spend 40-50€ to have decent decks (which I don’t expect one has without buying boosters first) it might actually work.

With this price-model the game will probably fail (at least until they come to the same conclusion I have, and lower the price considerably).

9. Half Broken Glass says:

How many collectible card-based video games were there: x
    How many of them failed: y
    If y >= x, is there any point in making another one: 0

10. Tei says:

“How many collectible card-based video games were there”

Yea. But MMORTS+TCG there are 3:
    – Saga.. that looks, smells and runs like a indie game.
    – Poxnora.. that seems good, but is a java game.
    – BattleForge… that looks, smells and runs like a AAA game.

I liked, Poxnora is not RTS, is Turn Based not realtime. So there are two: Saga and BattleForge. There not reason to own only one.. both have good ideas, and the production values of BF are impresive.

11. cheeba says:

Ah, Poxnora, that’s a good one. If you absolutely must spend lots of cash collecting a virtual deck of beasties, that’s the way to do it. Let’s face it, turn-based battles suit this kind of thing a whole lot better anyway.

I’m still a little surprised Pox’ got hardly a hint of support on places like here, as “collecty antics + age of wonders-ish battles” is a pleasingly beardy mix. And Java or not, it’s a nicely put together piece of work.

12. undead dolphin hacker says:

How many video games were there: x
    How many of them failed: y
    If y >= x, is there any point in making another one: 0

Yup, definitely makes sense.

13. D says:

It doesn’t. How could y possibly ever be bigger than x?

14. Anon says: