Egon Spelunker: Divinity 2: Ego Draconis Webosite

By Kieron Gillen on March 27th, 2009 at 2:21 pm.

Diviniest!

With somewhat odd timing, Luc Martens wrote to me to mention that Divinity II: Ego Draconis’ “real” site has gone live, and was probably worth a plug because we hadn’t mentioned the sequel to the cultish-hit Divine-Divinity since it was announced. The odd timing was that I was reading Drakensang‘s manual and had just hit an advert for Divinity 2 and was thinking i) Well, that’s some well chosen demographic selected advertising and ii) Whatever happened to it, eh? Well, it appears it launched a website. Well done them. And as a reminder of what it’s all about, the launch trailer’s beneath the cut.

Oh – and should have an impressions post up on Drakensang later, since it comes out today. The things we do for you.

1. Feet says:

[gravelly voice]IN A WHIRLED…[/gravelly voice]

2. danielcardigan says:

Divine Divinity was great, relatively open world and quirky. Beyond Divinity was a nightmare.

3. Rinox says:

Everything I’ve seen from the game so far just oozes potential. They’re certainly ambitious, let’s hope it pays off for them (and us). Also, have a listen to the two music tracks under media, they’re pretty great. It’s the work of the same guy who did the already excellent soundtrack for the original divinity.

[D1's charm *(bigger budget + interesting new ideas + gamebryo engine)] – D1′s bugs = great D2?

4. Jockie says:

“What happens when a dragon slayer…… becomes a dragon?!”

One of the most important philosophical questions of our time, finally answered!

5. dhex says:

when is gog.com going to pick up divine divinity? it seems worthy of attention.

6. Dave says:

Hmm…. my experience with Divine Divinity was poo. I dropped some item or other that utterly broke a quest, and wasn’t really enjoying it much before that point anyway.

7. Calabi says:

“What happens when a dragon slayer becomes a dragon?!

He kills himself.

I dont like it, its in three dee, I cant suspend my disbelief when theres polygons moving all over the place.

8. Asskicker says:

Woot, Go Belgian Game Industry!

9. Andthensobecause says:

This is everything I ever wanted in a videogame.

10. Xercies says:

If a dragon slayer becomes a dragon he must kill himself because otherwise he would be a hypocrite.

11. Panther says:

Does look interesting, but should I have played Divine Divinity beforehand? (not so much for plot reasons, but is it good?)

12. DigitalSignalX says:

You guys are only getting Drakensang now? o.O damn those German game company’s releasing stuff in US first. It’s a really great game.

Divinity 2, a RPG sword slashing / flying dragon sim? Must have!

13. HeDoesn'tKillHimself says:

God damnit, he doesn’t kill himself. He becomes a dragon, not both dragon slayer AND dragon at the same time. If anything, he kills dragon slayers (in self defense, of course). Unless he’s depressed and suicidal, but that’s besides the point. You people suck.

14. Duouk2000 says:

Loved DD1, not so sure about this.

15. MetalCircus says:

Divine Divinity is an utterly beautiful game, and is so bloody huge that I have never acctually finished it, despite playing it through from the start about 5 times. If you haven’t played DD1, do so now. Avoid Beyond Divinity, it’s rubbish, and has an even worse name than the original which is an amazing feat in itself. Anyway, DD1 is full of lovely, beautiful charm. I hope this goes down the same route.

16. MetalCircus says:

Oh and as mentioned, the soundtrack to DD1 is simply beautiful stuff and probably one of the best game soundtracks ever. Why do big budget tripple-A game developers resort to crappy “hollywood” music and little known games produce musical slices of joy as heard in DD1?

17. bananaphone says:

@Panther
    Yes, you should play it. Very quirky RPG with lovely visuals and a huge world to explore. It has Diablo-esque clicky-slash combat but with more of that +5 RPG goodness. You’ll read mixed opinions, but it’s one of my favourites.

18. M.P. says: