Pavedismemberment: Killing Floor Announced

By Kieron Gillen on March 27th, 2009 at 2:46 pm.

This was announced earlier in the week, and normally we’d wait until there was more information before saying anything else, but Tripwire Interactive are apparently getting this co-op zombie game on Steam in the near future. So probably best to know what The Makers Of Red Orchestra Did Next as early as possible, I think. Co-op zombi… yeah, it does seem somewhat familiar, but Killing Floor, as John Gibson tells IGN, was originally a mod back in 2005. It seems to be six-players, more wave-based than the cinematic routes of Left 4 Dead and features some shambler zombies. Hurrah for slow moving freaks you can beat up. And before the inevitable John Walker gag, let’s skip to a relevant feature list from the press-release beneath the cut…

*Co-op game mode for up to six players obliterating multiple waves of specimens
* Solo game mode for offline play
* Watch those crucial and violent creature deaths in slomo “ZEDtime”, even in multiplayer
* 9 different monster types trying to eat your face off, armed with everything from teeth and claws, through to chainsaws, chainguns and rocket-launchers
* 12+ weapons for the players to chose from, ranging from knives and fire-axes up to pump shotguns, rifles and a flamethrower
* Add in a welder, medical tools and body armor to help the players survive
* Persistent Perks system, allowing players to convert their in-game achievements into permanent improvements to their character’s skills and abilities
* Players choose which Perks to play with, so they can best balance out a co-op team to survive the horrors
* Open, non-linear play areas: choose when and where to fight – or run; weld doors closed to try and direct the monster horde
* Full support for Steamworks features, including Steam Achievements and Friends
* Fully-configurable, allowing players to change things as simple as the difficulty level or number of creature waves, or go so far as to set up their own favorite waves of monsters
* Includes SDK for the creation of new levels and mods

I’m glad it’s 12+ weapons. Because if it was 12, I’d hate it. Any game with 12 weapons in, I despise. But 12+? I’m all over 12+.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Seniath says:

So that’s 12 and some grenades, then?

2. Captain Awesome says:

Left 4 Dead was incredibly boring for me. Only 4 different guns + pistols and grenades, boring repetetive levels.. I played the campain over once, and I never wanted to play it again. Maybe this will be better. 12+ weapons (flamethrower, f*** yes!!), perks, six players.. whoa.

3. Gap Gen says:

4. Lurkerin' says:

@Gap Gen: I’m waiting for someone to finally port “The Floor is Lava” onto the iPhone.

5. danielcardigan says:

The graph paper will kill you in i-fluid.

6. Andthensobecause says:

Zombies are getting so boooooooooooooooooorrrring. I’d rather slaughter waves of pirates or transformers or gargoyleweredragons.

7. Heliocentric says:

Just watch out you dont get any specimen on you and you’ll do fine.

I played this as a ut2004 mod 2 years ago and it was great but de populated, and when populated with people who didnt use voip. The game is about teamwork, living in the shadow of left 4 dead will likely do this some good.

8. The_B says:

But 12+? I’m all over 12+.

Careful Kieron, that comment has got you in trouble before…

9. Ian says:

I sense that it’ll get to the point where people would rather find a spot away from doors rather than welding them shut. Trusting a welded door is just asking for trouble.

KG: “But 12+? I’m all over 12+.”

That’s just begging to be taken completely out of context for some horrible gag.

10. Ecko says:

Wait, do you think Kieron said that precisely for said reason?

And I would like to make a serious request, one of the team please write a retrospective or something or other on Left4Dead to smack down on all the people who think it’s ‘too short’ or ‘boring’! Nghhh, never had such a good multiplayer experience in my life than with L4D. ENFORCE ONE WORLDVIEW PLEASE.

11. Heliocentric says:

You are indeed asking for trouble mixing 12+ with loads of specimen also, “Add in a welder, medical tools and body armor to help”.

KG is a bad bad man.

12. Turin Turambar says:

12+ weapons, FUCK YEARH!

Stupid six weapons in L4D, i hate you.

13. Ecko says:

Grahhhh, weapons yay yay, each of the weapons in L4D are actually distinctive from each in feel, and have a different purpose as opposed to unnecessary duplicates.

14. Okami says:

ZEDtime? That rings a bell… Wasn’t Zed the derogatory term used for Zombies in World War Z?

Somebody should totally make a World War Z game. Heck, somebody should totally make a f-ing franchise of games out of WWZ!

15. MacBeth says:

@Okami: Yes, and having read WWZ (and the Survival Guide) as preparation for L4D, I call them zeds all the time in game (despite knowing full well that they are Infected, not Undead…)

Also, people who get bored because of a lack of different weapons are doing it wrong. The weapons are the tools – the gameplay is the fun bit. The weapons are entirely sufficient, no more, no less.

Re. the game, sounds pretty good. Still waiting for the ultimate MMO persistent world zombie survival defender-gatherer game though.

16. Gunrun says:

Hate to rain on your parade but Valve claims 10 weapons in L4D.
    Pistol
    Dual Pistol
    SMG
    Shotgun
    Assault Rifle
    Different Shotgun
    Sniper
    Grenade
    Molotov
    Minigun

17. mrrobsa says:

I love the ‘weld door’ feature, it adds an almost tower defence style element of funnelling enemies. Similar highlights include barricading doors and windows in recent Resi games, and trying to create blockades once being let loose with Half Life’s gravity gun. It’d be great to have a game where this was the core focus, maybe Killing Floor will be that game.
    ‘Killing Floor’ may be the worst name though.

18. DMJ says:

Hahahahahaha Claiming the pistol and dual pistols as separate weapons just sounds funny to me.

Valve Guy 1: We need some weapons ideas for Left 4 Dead. Any ideas?
    Valve Guy 2: A pistol!
    Valve Guy 1: Great! Any other suggestions?
    Valve Guy 2: Uh… Two pistols!

*Yes, I know that the dual pistols are completely different from the pistol in utility in L4D, but this scene just sprang into my head fully-formed.

19. Tertiee says:

If you want to liberal with the definition of weapon we can include the oxygen tank, gas can, propane tank, and melee to meet Kieron’s 12+ requirement.

20. Kieron Gillen says:

I’m pleased that everyone has such little faith in me.

KG

21. Pags says:

I definitely remember Oblivion having one anyway. Stepping on it meant it smooshed you.

22. Sejer says:

This sounds like the survival-gameplay of the first AvP game. It was great, all about, as a marine, mowing down as many aliens and predators as possible. And they just kept coming at you. I’ll definitely be looking into this.

23. Styngent says:

Not to be a gigantic stick in the mud, but surely any door made out of a weldable material (i.e some sort of metal) can afford to take a bit of an old school zombie hammering before coming down?

Welding based scrutiny aside, it’s a shame games like this now have to compete with L4D. I remember browsing through a fair few survival horde sites not long after HL2’s release. Source mod reality was just too big a leap from conception compared to the humble HL toolkits.

24. The_B says:

You’re a bad influence, Gillen!

25. mrrobsa says:

“What if there were a game where the floor could actually kill you? Actually, I’m pretty sure there are variants on that one all over gaming.”

Dead or Alive used to have the ‘Danger Zone’ I believe, where a coloured section of floor would catapult you tens of metres into the air should you fall on it. Which was cool, but a bit of a gift for experienced beat-em-up jugglers.

26. DigitalSignalX says:

L4D definitely needs more weapons, It’s my only complaint. If killing floor can capture the replay coolness of of L4D AND have some sort of melee weapons and a Flamethrower? AMEN.

27. Wedge says:

Oh wow, I actually played this a fair bit when it was a ut2k4 mod waybackwhen. It was largely the product of one man with random bits of coding help, but was quite fun. I assume this probably doesn’t resemble that game at all though. Might be an interesting diversion if the price is right though.

28. Rob says:

No, Left 4 dead do not need anymore weapons.

29. Oak says:

Probably a coincidence, but Killing Floor and Tripwire are both novels by Lee Child.

30. malkav11 says:

I’m not saying that this will be good, and I can bet it will not have the gorgeous visuals, Director AI, or expertly randomized dialogue of Left 4 Dead.

But on the other hand, it sounds like it actually might be fun for more than ten minutes or so.

31. Scandalon says:

There were floors in doom (and/or ceilings) that would kill you.

32. Matzerath says:

The trick is to have a friendly ceiling, and then no one expects the killing floor.

33. Weylund says:

@malkav11: Yes, quite frankly I think those three things will differentiate L4D for quite some time.

34. Weylund says:

Oh, and RO kicks serious ass (yes, I mean it actively beats self-involved donkeys with its mighty feet of fury). A zombie game from Tripwire? Yes, please, with a side helping of splatter.

35. Fantasy 5Jackpot says:

the seller to me was the perks…

36. malkav11 says:

The thing is, they may be unique to Left 4 Dead, but so what? None of those things rescues the game’s actual gameplay from being stultifyingly boring and shallow. And since it’s a game, the gameplay is what makes or breaks it.

37. Psychopomp says:

@Gap Gen

l2first edition DnD

38. Psychopomp says:

@ Malkav11

With L4D, not playing Expert, or VS.=Doing it wrong.

Sorry for double post.

39. malkav11 says:

Yes, not playing a competitive mode in a cooperative game, clearly = doing it wrong.

As for expert, ramping up the difficulty doesn’t save the basic blahness of the gameplay. You’re still just shooting a bunch of zombies with the same couple of weapons over and over, you’re just doing it a lot more.

40. Alan Wilson says:

Yup – discovered Lee Childs when searching for ‘Tripwire +”Killing Floor”‘. Curses. And “12+” weapons cos I was too effing lazy to keep counting… someone else can count the damn things when we launch :)

41. killer says:

how do you put up blockades in left4dead

42. Shadrach says:

Killing Floor is out now, you RPS blokes should really really check it out! :)

43. north face denali says:

Wow! Some amazing effects. Definitely some great ideas here.

44. the north face denali says:

Your blog appears quite informative. I liked it. So much useful material. I read with great interest.Can you please tell me how can I read your rss blog?