Fallen Earth: Testing, Trailering

By Jim Rossignol on March 30th, 2009 at 2:49 pm.

Fallen Earth is a post-apocalyptic MMO. Back in October the Fallen Earth developers sent out a press release announcing that the game was “content complete” and that it would now enter testing. In December a link on the Fallen Earth forums indicated that forum members will be able to participate in the very early testing stage of the post-apocalyptic MMO. And yet we’ve still not mentioned it. The reason for this is because it has had a relatively low profile: the scraps of information on the lo-fi website, a few screenshots, and this trailer are pretty much all the material we have to go on. You’d think they’d be surfing on the back of that Fallout 3 hype-wave, or something. Anyway, press blurb states that Fallen Earth is “set near the Grand Canyon in 2156 after a deadly plague wiped out most of humanity, the game features six factions, a classless advancement system, and a unique crafting feature in which players can make 95 percent of game items.” Intriguing. Go take a look at that trailer below, and we’ll see if we can rustle up an interview with the people behind it.

, .

1. Ian says:

I read about this recently, but I can’t remember where. To be honest, I tend to assume these days I’ve read PC gaming stuff on RPS and am then surprised when it’s not the case.

Either way, from what I recall of the preview I remember hoping that the character creation/customisation stuff is as fluid as they suggest.

Also, all the weapons you carry (6 of them) will apparently be visible on your person. It’s a little thing, but something I like.

2. The Fanciest of Pants says:

Sounds cool. Got my attention at least.

3. KindredPhantom says:

I am in the closed testing for the game. From playing the initial tutorial level i say it is alike to a Fallout 3 MMO but only in the setting. The first person shooting doesn’t feel like an FPS and third person is ok but is not a lot better. From playing it i think it has a way to go before being acceptable. It seems somewhat half arsed and forgettable.

4. Mad Doc MacRae says:

So how does a plague turn the world all Fallout-y? I can see it being sparsely populated, but zombie monsters and the sandworms? (Incidentally, Zombie Monster and the Sandworms would be a good name for a band).

5. BooleanBob says:

“the scraps of information on the… website, a few screenshots, and this trailer are pretty much all the material we have to go on.”

Doesn’t stop you posting about [sturdily PR-tillered, upcoming game de jour] every time they release a trailer, some screenshots or update their website with a few scraps of information! You hacks!

((j/k!))

6. Skwizzal says:

@Mad:
    The virus was only deadly to humans, but mutated animals a la Resident Evil.

Plus, once humanity goes to shit, who looks after nuclear power plants? Who prevents all the stuff we have that’s toxic spilling out? No one.

So :P

7. Inanimotion says:

Registered, hopin to get beta.
    Even if it’s not great, it’s always fun to check out games in their early stages and watch them change.

8. Sp4rkR4t says:

In the beta but the first time I tried to get into the game it kept freaking out on me so I’ll have another stab at it now that you have reminded me about this.

9. A-Scale says:

Looks very 2003, but maybe they will polish it up a bit.

10. Lightbulb says:

Ahhh a plot device plague eh?

11. Muzman says:

Someone should just make a Mad Max game already. It could be like Eve on the ground (in ruthless anarchy terms).
    Although I think post apocalyptic scenarios like this have to be a little heightened and have some fantastic elements or it gets too depressing.
    Still, I would like to stand atop a sand dune overlooking a refinery/pig farm/whathaveyou, announcing over my personal PA “Juss walk away, und dare will be an end to der horrah” while flexing ocasionally.
    In fact, I’ve got a couple of minutes right now…

12. Mad Doc MacRae says:

@ Skwizzal

Maybe. It is set in the really far off future or something.

I guess mmo’s will usually need monsters to grind.

13. Chris says:

Bit more here:

MadMax style desert fighting, could be good.
    As long as there isnt kill on top of kill on top of killing to get to the top level etc.

14. jambamagamba says:

i still cling onto the hope that neocron will rise from the ashes.

15. anduz says:

Post Apoc without real anarchy and free for all pvp is worthless.

16. Mel Gibson says:

The road warrior is pleased.

17. Jochen Scheisse says:

Looks nice, too bad it’s a MMORPG. So screw it.

18. KindredPhantom says:

Check out footage of the tutorial. You will see what it currently looks and plays like.

19. Grey_Ghost says:

I found some with slightly better quality it looks like.

Hmm, that voice lady looked different then I expected.

20. TariqOne says:

I too “know someone” in the beta, as it were. Someone who was quite looking forward to the game and isn’t any longer.

It’s a lovely community and one worth rooting for in the MMO world. I hear the game’s a bit half-baked though, and just a reskinned version of every other MMO out there.

21. Danarchist says:

I play in the beta and dont have nearly as bad an opinion of it as the two previous posters. Not sure if you have looked at it recently but it really is a good start to a good game. It reminds me allot of asherons call in the character development and it is very fallout 3ee. The obvious beta bugs exist, cause its a er…beta. The graphics have taken a huge leap in the last couple months too so it looks like its nowhere near its finished product. I am so done with fantasy games at the moment this has a better flavor for me. One thing I will say though they need to really work on the leveling and quest system. I spent probably 3 hours getting to where I could equip a gun I got in the first 15 minutes. Quests are very travel intensive (which is much easier when you can build a dunebuggy or tame a horse or something). Did I mention you can fight from inside your vehicles? Fight from inside your vehicles WHILE pvping?

22. Calistas says:

Someone make me Mad Max meets Tale in the Desert and I’ll be a happy camper. I love the idea of working together with folks to build a wasteland enclave and trading with others and fighting off bandits. Make it so!

23. Grey_Ghost says:

@Danarchist Eh? I didn’t say anything negative about the game.

24. Muzman says:

Man, that cheesy cloning reboot clip made me think somone had finaly made a Paranoia game as well.
    (I’m just determined not to talk about the game at hand aren’t I)

25. Chaz says:

I’ve been casting my eye over this game for what seems like a good few years now. Glad to see it finally looks like it’s actually heading towards completion, as I was begining to think it would just fall by the wayside like so many others.

I really hope it turns out OK as it’s the sort of game I’d be very much into. I’m much prefer my sci-fi rather than the usual swords and sorcery nonsense. Give me a gauss rifle over a bastard sword any day of the week.

26. Lucas says:

New title: Stalkers vs the Rancor.

27. D says:

As far as I remember (from 2005 or wut), this is the one that was tauted as having 1. a player based economy, 2. offline crafting/repairing, 3. an actual stealth system (ie. hearing and sight for npc mobs)

Any of that made it in?

28. Danarchist says:

@Grey, was referring too the previous two posters that had played it and didn’t like it :)

@D 1. yep, especially for crafted weapons and vehicles, I also believe some unique “recipes” can be found allowing one dude to make a boat load of cash on a lucky drop. I am not 100% sure on this but I have seen people asking for a particular player online to make some glasses or something that he is the only one capable of so far.
    2. offline crafting does work, has a maximum number of things you can que but some items do take quite awhile to complete (I usually just go shoot crap while crafting)
    3. I have heard they are working on the stealth but the sound and LOS is still having big issues. Did get jacked by a guy with a hockey stick last night that I didnt see coming

29. Mel Gibson says:

“Did get jacked by a guy with a hockey stick last night that I didnt see coming”

Okay, this game sounds pretty badass. when is the official release?

30. D says:

Thanks Danarchist. It does indeed sound better than the two other posters reported.

I have one more thing, refresh my memory please: Is this the game I saw a video of, where a character (in third person view) used some sort of special move (aka. jumped into the air), and created a small 0.5m barrier in front of his location, as cover during a firefight? If so, hows it working out with those, uhm, more fantastical specials? Cause it seemed a little like magic? (And it might not even be the right game I’m thinking of.) Thanks again :D

31. Danarchist says:

I havnt seen anything like that but im still fairly mid level compared to some of the more hardcore (e.g. more freetime, less girlfriend nagged) testers. There are some very interesting mutation things you can use, that could be an advanced one I havent gotten yet. I have put alot more of my skill points into pistols and my crafting skills though (I am a medic type player). Best thing I have seen so far is a guy that er…kinda warped from like 15 yards in front of me to directly behind me, then geeked me like I was link dead. I am not sure if it was lag or not lol but damn it looked cool!

32. north face denali says:

Thanks for the write up! This is really some great stuff here!