Mount & Beard: Prettier Horses Than Ever

By Alec Meer on March 30th, 2009 at 10:01 pm.

This year’s GDC wasn’t all unhelpfully cryptic teaser trailers – it was also a chance for enthusiastic developers of lesser-known fare to demo their wares first hand. F’rinstance, this awkward but illuminating talk from one of the Turkish chaps behind the splendid, inventive, horse-centric RPG Mount & Blade, showing off exactly what to expect from the forthcoming expansion, Warband. Significantly enhanced graphics and siege-orientated multiplayer, primarily – both of which seem, from this video, to mean an even better game, and one that neatly papers over its more obvious cracks.

WARNING: the guy doing the presentation does have an unusual beard.

Told ya.

Mount & Blade: Warband is due in Q3 of this year. Whatever that really means.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Fumarole says:

That beard’s not at all unusual in California, especially in the Bay Area.

That being said, that guy does rather look like he’d be right at home running people through from horseback.

2. Army of None says:

Want.

3. Silverfish says:

The combat is looking more responsive there, awesome! The graphical updates are looking super-duper too! :-D

4. reiver says:

Tbh i found the undemanding graphics to be one of the games strongest points. It meant I was able to crank the battle size way up and have 600 men battles with a decent FPS. The game really shines when everyone you bring to the fight is on the battlefield at once.

5. Heliocentric says:

Got the base game on steam sale for tupence. Easily one of my all time favourites and this expansion looks to make the weakest areas in the game great. I’ll be the guy in the pike formation holding a garden rake but wearing fullplate. The best offence is a good defence?

6. Kanamit says:

Horse-centric? As a proud Rhodok I demand you take that back!

7. Heliocentric says:

Even in rhodok horses make good eating.

8. MA6200 says:

Looks good but it doesn’t appear, at first glance, to add all that much. I hope they aren’t going to charge much for this, particularly when the current version is so lacking in content.

9. Duke Nasty VI says:

Ooo, mutiplayer :)

Finally bought M&B this weekend, so I was wondering if someone could recommend some M&B mods? There are so many mods out there, so I’m not sure which ones are worth my precious, precious time.

10. Kanamit says:

True enough. Especially after brave Rhodok warriors bravely slaughter scores of Swadian knights that were foolish enough to follow them into the mountains.

11. dartt says:

@Heliocentric

Then I shall be the little man in a dress with an enormous Bastard sword.

12. Pace says:

Mount & Beard! Ha! Admit it, the real reason for this post is the glorious pun opportunity? So worth it!

13. Heliocentric says:

And in the game?

14. Grey_Ghost says:

I hope the redo all the old armors, some of them are quite awful compared to the newer ones.

15. Stitched says:

I had a hell of a lot of fun playing Mount and Blade. The plans for improving the game look well worth the wait.

16. jonfitt says:

Woah! Thanks for the beard warning. One shouldn’t have to happen upon that kind of facial foliage unprepared.

I don’t have sound here, is this definitely additional content for the base game, or a new product?

17. Buemba says:

I’d rather have more types of quests instead of a graphical update. Not that I don’t enjoy doing the “Go to whatever and make Lord John Doe pay the money he owes me!” over and over again, but variety is always nice.

18. Jonas says:

“You can besiege kisses in the game” YES.

What an awesome accent quirk.

19. Nuyan says:

Is this a free expansion by the way?

“16 players over internet, much more on LAN”

Suggestion: Release an easy to d/l + update free multiplayer map. Just imagine having those huge LAN parties and a game of 100vs100 real people. That’d be epic.

20. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Whoa, that is a fearsome beard. And so concentrated, too. It’s focus-fired facial hair.

21. Mr Wonderstuff says:

The siege concept looks fun…always wanted to take part in one of those.

22. Pags says:

I honestly didn’t think M&B was all that ugly to begin with. It could even be quite pretty come sunset.

Also, I want to cuddle Cem. “And you can see the.. sun shining”.

23. Benjamin Finkel says:

I’m pretty sure that’s Armagan! You know, besides having a weird beard, he also made the game. He’s not just “the guy doing the presentation.”

Ben

24. HidesHisEyes says:

Hoping this isn’t too expensive but then i got well worth the £14 or so i paid for the full game before it was finished :)

16p multiplayer = what the game needed from the start, and graphical update = not unwelcome. Looking forward to seeing how it ps out …

/Khergit forever, bitches

25. mejobloggs says:

The ‘Native Expansion’ mod is very awesome if anyone is looking for a good mod.

26. Chiablo says:

so you can siege your kisses and defend your uuhh kisses?

27. Baris says:

@MA6200
    Are you freaking kidding me? I mean, come on!

28. Dozer says:

Look at that Horse Armour!

29. Über Nerd says:

You think his bread is unusual, his surname is “Lawnmower” (lit. Grasscutter).

30. CryingTheAnnualKingo says:

@Duke Nasty
    Try starting with this selection:

31. Nutkins Victory Otter says:

People were tittering all the way through.
    How rude!

32. cyrenic says:

I’ve been playing some in depth M&B the past few weeks, and it’s been brilliant. Not sure if player vs. player multiplayer will be that great, the combat mechanics don’t seem like they’d hold up to me, but co-op would be great.

For those playing the game, this mod is a MUST. It makes sieges a lot more fun, and less of a big AI collisionfest: http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,57569.0.html

Also Sword of Damocles is a pretty cool mod, it only changes the base game a little bit, but it adds some “endgame” goals/events: http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/board,117.0.html

33. BobDylan says:

…I seriously thought he said “We have seizures in the game” instead of “sieges”.

El-oh-el…

Looks good, though.

34. Professor says:

If they intend on SELLING this rather than considering it a content patch then they’re ludicrous and there’s no way in hell I’m buying it. I loved M&B and bought it when it was still in beta, but this is by no means enough content to make me buy it again.

35. Blaxploitation Man says:

1.001/3 felt like it was rushed to meet a deadline, it lacked many of the major differences that marked each previous update.

This whole thing feels like they’re just selling a patch.

36. Malagate says:

I haven’t touched Mount & Blade in ages, but then when the music starts in that trailer I get that big chest swelling feeling and the urge to roam around and couch charge some sea raiders. Man, I really do enjoy the simple act of riding around in plate with a big axe. Also there better be a beard like that in the character creation, if not now then in the expansion. I cannot stress this enough, in all games there are never enough beard options.

37. pepper says:

I loved the demo, but the game didnt felt quite finishd and 30 euro’s is too much for me to pay for it. I wonder if this update will be free, of not then i think there backstabbing there own community.

38. Heliocentric says:

The people with entitlement issues complaining about some content being paid are a sorry bunch. The sales from m&b will be slacking but you expect eternal free patches and updates? In a way this expansion is compassionate. Nothing is suited to the core experience unless this means multiplayer campaign map action. Which is awesome btw. Although it’d likely pan out like sword of the stars with massive wait times.

39. Kadayi says:

“The people with entitlement issues complaining about some content being paid are a sorry bunch.”

Agreed. I too get a bit sickened by this ridiculous expectation that people have. It’s like having a nice meal at a restaurant and then expecting them to provide you with free food from there on in…..

Enjoyed (and played) the hell out of M&B, looking forward to this a lot.

40. Chaz says:

That’s looking pretty cool, it means I might actually buy the game once that graphics update is out. Yeah I know, I’m sure the game is problably great as it is blah blah blah, but I’m shallow like that.

41. Heliocentric says:

@Kadayi its weorse than that like you go on opening day, after paying he says, come back tomorrow and I’ll feed you again free. Then the next time at the end of the meal, come back again free. But the third time while you get your free food he doesnt invite you to eat free again, instead expecting you to pay if you return. So you stand up after eating the free meal and scream “i’m blogging this! your resturant sucks”.

42. Tei says:

M&B need to stabilize. What M&B need is a stable base, where modders can make mods, and users can install these.
    Having cool mods for a byzarro beta of alfa version don’t help. Wellcome to “Version Hell”.
    A expansion will help or enhance this problem?
    Most expansion make this type of problems worse.

M&B has done a lots of things brillianty, almost all, not this thing. I have a problem wen is hard to install mods, that looks from screenshots and videos freaking cool mods.

Small wishlist:
    Fire, destructibles.

43. Cooper says:

M&B, or, rather, Steam fucked me over with their auto-updates.

The most recent version doesn’t work with the previous version’s saved games. Which was the version that was going cheap when steam had the M&B sale. So, one auto update later, and I can’t play my game.

A bit of a fudge with some hex editing and it’s possible to get those broken saved games working in the demo version of M&B, which is still a version behind. But not completely – some things are still broken and it’s full of script errors.

As such, I stopped playing M&B. Which is a shame, as I was really enjoying it…

44. lkijia says:

The game looks great, shame the presenter isn’t all that great at showing it off.
    Also: he’s using OpenOffice for the presentation, yay.

45. jbrandt says:

Oh pshaw. It’s not an unusual beard at all. Clearly he’s a Pharaoh.

46. Thunderkor says:

Very excited about the idea of multiplayer M&B. I picked up the game on a big sale at GamersGate a few weeks ago, some of the best gaming value per dollar I’ve had.

DukeNasty – I’m fond of a mod called “The Eagle and the Radiant Cross”. The factions in this mod have some really interesting armor, and it adds early gunpowder units to the game. “Roots of Yggdrasil” is also really cool if you are fond of Vikings and don’t mind not having any more cavalry in the game.

I encourage you to play around with lots of mods, many of them are quite cool.

47. Blaxploitation Man says:

I guess all the people complaining about the Spore “Expansion” have entitlement issues too?

48. MetalCircus says:

@MA6200 you sir, are insane! No there’s not many features to Mount and Blade despite the massive amount of replayability! Duuuuh!

49. Snuffy (the Evil) says:

@Heliocentric

I guess we’re just used to being spoiled by Valve.

50. Al3xand3r says:

Sword of Damocles is pretty sweet, it adds some very nice kingdom management options, you can separate your army in different parties that act like lords under your command, and stuff like that. And a year in the game a massive invasion happens with overpowered armies that destroy everything in their path, so it has a kind of end-game climax feel. It’s impossible to win, but fun to see how long Calradia lasts. Plus, a year in the game things obviously get stale, and it’s a great diversion when it happens. It has some sub-mods like an Undead invasion which is easier to fend off and has some boss characters, and other stuff, but default is great. It feels like a time trial where you try to unite Calradia under your rule and get ready for the imminent invasion.