Earth, Wind and Footage: Elemental In-Game

By Kieron Gillen on April 1st, 2009 at 12:00 pm.

Little red thing, sitting on a level, being little and red. You are the little red thing. Let none mock you.

When listening to the latest Three Moves Ahead about Demigod, I found myself over on Troy’s blog nosing around. In it, I find something fun from GDC which we missed – namely, Stardock having released a little walkthrough video including the first public (if early) footage of Elemental: War of Magic. You’ll remember Elemental from the memories laid down inside your noggin when we interviewed Brad Wardell for our Unknown Pleasures feature. Anyway – as the Elemental beta inches closer, time to see the fantasy/strategy/RPG malarkies Stardock are working on. Video beneath the cut.

And while we’re here, I realise we never lobbed up the teaser trailer from late last year. Let’s include it in the post for comprehensivosity’s sake.

(“Comprehensivosity”? – Ed)

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Turin Turambar says:

That sword sure is heavy!

Joking, it’s actually a nice touch.

2. Feet says:

I still remain very optimistic that this is going to be a game.

Of AWESOMOSITY!

Loads of interesting info from Brad here.

3. NuZZ says:

I liked that touch too Turin. Makes you feel like the character is your puppet or something. Although I’m not big fan of turn based; It might be cool. Stardock are cool, afterall.

4. Subject 706 says:

Stardock brings a little tear to my eye with this project. FINALLY someone is making something like Master Of Magic.

5. cyrenic says:

Definitely looking forward to this one. I’m just wondering if I’ll be able to resist jumping into the beta this summer.

Also, the concept art for this game is AMAZING: http://www.draginol.com/images2009/Elementalscaleofpower_C5D4/0577_006.jpg

6. loci says:

my nipples just tingled

7. Rei Onryou says:

I want a Super Amulet of Coolness +2. :'(

This game looks interesting, and I can’t wait to see a more developed version closer to release.

8. Flappybat says:

Love the zoomed out map.

9. Larington says:

Yeah, it’ll be nice to have an ‘oldish style’ turn based game coming out, might be able to get my brother (a ‘lost gamer’) back into gaming with this one, that is, other than some silly facebook app full of minigames called I’m a celebrity.

10. Acosta says:

Ah, having a scree to equip your character with amulets and weapons brought great memories of preparing my Orb of the Apocalypse and Sword of Nightmare for my best hero in a MoM campaign (I don’t remember the exact names, there were a limitation of characters, but it was something dark, scary and gloriously juvenile. Can’t wait.

11. Wolfman says:

I liked it up until he said “Zoom” and “RPG”.

Thats not Master of Magic! A proper Master of Magic-alike should be pure strategy. None of this RPG nonsense! I want them to concentrate on the bits that made MoM good, not add bits that are not needed to MoM!

Top down, turn based, strategy for “the win”.

-wolfman

12. Pijama says:

OHMIGODOHMIGODOHMIGOD is what I have to say, and nothing else matters.

13. Rich_P says:

Promising news from one of the devs, Wolfman:

Remember, any time you have your Sovereign out there leveling up is time he’s not…

– Stationed in his keep, focusing on new spells…
    – Off initiating foreign treaties…
    – Visiting neighboring villages to raise international loyalties…
    – Any other various tasks that require royal intervention to undertake.

So I say, if that’s what you wish to spend ALL your time on, go for it! Your domestic situation may be in shambles and your foreign relations plummeting, but at least you’ll have enemies to test those new stats and loot on

Seriously, though, all the above will be play tested 1000x to make sure we weed out cheese tactics and make every possible choice a valid and weighty one.

14. Okami says:

I am angry because the game is not like another game that I like.

15. Acosta says:

Well, as this is “Non-MoM” I don’t care they don’t follow him. Actually I fell happy that Elemental is following its own path. The balance between leveling or doing something useful with your hero looks a fantastic strategy choice.

16. Brokenbroll says:

So Wolfman, you never gained levels for your heroes or gave them enchanted weapons in Master of magic?

17. Rich_P says:

Elemental tops my “DO WANT” list. Brad Wardell and the others devs are constantly posting tidbits of gameplay information on the forums and official site in an evil attempt to get me to pre-order the game and join the beta this summer :D If that’s not enough, I’ll probably buy Windows 7 just so I can use the 64-bit exe that can generate absolutely HUGE maps.

18. caesarbear says:

I’m skeptical that it will surpass AoW, but it’s been a long time since we’ve had a good fantasy TBS. I’m eager to see this.

19. Nick says:

Yeah Wolfman.. what non-existant version of MoM were you playing that didn’t have RPG elements in it?

20. kuddles says:

I’ve always preferred fantasy TBS games to space ones, so this is the first Stardock game I’m really excited for.

We’ve been getting a little resurgence lately, with HOMM V, King’s Bounty, Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy and Disciples III coming soon, but this one will probably end up being the most polished experience out of the lot.

21. Moorkh says:

Hmmm… still waiting for something to follow up on where Warlords III DLR left off.
    I can’t quite put my finger on it, but something doesn’t seem quite right about this Elemental trailer. Screenshots seemed to promise something… different. Aw, maybe it’s just the art design and me being superficial.

22. Brokenbroll says:

It could also be that the game is a year or so away from release, and that this footage could be from an already old build of the game.