Welkin4591: The Chinese Planetside?

By Jim Rossignol on April 1st, 2009 at 3:57 pm.

I’ve been meaning to post this since we went back to play Planetside earlier in the year. Welkin4591 is a Chinese MMOFPS that is currently, apparently, in free open beta at the moment. Planetside players who have found their way into the Chinese-language game have set up a fansite here. The site features a bunch of impressions by the Western players getting onto the beta, and also features a bunch of instructions about how to get involved yourself, including beta download instructions. I believe it’s some kind of failed attempt to secure a Planetside 2 licence that has continued development within China, and it looks very similar indeed to the SOE game. You can’t expect a great experience from the far away servers, but it might be worth an afternoon of exploration for ardent MMOFPSers. A fan-made trailer exploring the many Planetside-like elements of Welkin4591 sits beyond the jump.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Catastrophe says:

I wouldn’t call it Planetside 2 but a remake of Planetside 1 (Graphics-wise).

I really can’t get away with them walking animations and the lag looks awful. :x

2. Matt says:

I would expect lag as this is a Chinese game and I assume then that the servers at in China also.

3. the probe says:

Why is this not being called a PWNS?

4. teo says:

That’s not Planetside 1?

5. Okami says:

Why do gamers have such awful music tastes? Almost all fan made trailers for videogames feature awful metal or industrial songs.

6. Batolemaeus says:

Or techno..

One day, I will make an Eve pvp video, which will feature jazz, progressive rock, and some Einst├╝rzende Neubauten.

7. Heliocentric says:

Its not games fans that have bad taste in music but people who host videos on the internet without expecting payment, any video. Be it of a game, a cat in a go kart or clips of anime.

8. AndrewC says:

Because it’s teenagers that make fan films, I guess. I hope. I agree that never having metal scoring our games will be the single biggest advance in the medium’s history.

9. Jim Rossignol says:

Roburky made tastefully sound-tracked Eve videos: http://www.roburky.co.uk/?tag=video

10. teo says:

Okami that’s not metal or industrial though, that was just shit
    I reacted to it too

11. fulis says:

speaking of EVE videos, the goonfleet ones were excellent

12. Cooper says:

Wow, that’s incredibly like PS1 – but that fog, argh! Even PS1 didn’t have that much distance fog, did it?

Shame about the obvious lag, I might have given it a go otherwise – I enjoyed the time I spent with PS1 curtsey of RPS, but wouldn’t go back because of the obvious exploitation and lack of ongoing support from SOE, despite subscription cash flowing in…

13. Darth says:

Rumour has it this is based off the same engine code as Planetside (the Verrant Engine), as some tree’s and things from early screenshots looked identical (I can’t think of a good reason why anyone would purposely copy Planetsides tree’s).

14. Tei says:

I am idiot or something. I was able to register to the chinnese site, but I was never able to make it work. So I think I deleted the welkin folder and stuff. I think Welkin will be more fun, in.. you know.. english.

15. Inanimotion says:

Doesn’t look any different than PS1 to me…I would rather play Planetside.

16. NuZZ says:

The gun model is nice. Other than that though? Damn that music…

17. Rei Onryou says:

It looks so much like PS1 that I fear they’ve copied across some of its flaws as well. Was that a BFR walker I saw? If so, yikes…

18. Deuteronomy says:

Okami, I`m not a metalhead or anything, but I`d be curious to know what kind of awful music you listen to.

19. mmolover says:

So for whoever had fun with the planetside, and feels like trying something similar but new (couse original ps is dying out), here is a mmofps, made by chinese devs.
    I heard about a new MMOFPS game named Mars War is coming soon. I just view the game homepage,and it is really similar to the planetside.
    It is said the game involves traditional FPS game features and also involves other type of game features such as role playing and strategy.
    It will be released in early Dec. 2010.

Here is the game website: http://www.mmolover.com/mars/ , you can take a look!

20. sage says:

The game will be renamed as Mars War.
    And I also heard it will be released in early Dec. 2010.

Comment on this story