Intel Games Demo Thinger 2009

By Jim Rossignol on April 4th, 2009 at 10:55 am.

Intel send word that this year’s Level Up development competition is up and running. Or “Level Up 2009, the Intel Visual Adrenaline Game Demo Challenge,” as they call it. There’s three categories, including, er, optimised for Intel Graphics, and “Best Threaded Game”. Anyway, Intel supply a load of the development tools for nowt, and the prizes are pretty enormous, including a US$4,000 PC, with a similar amount of development software, and free GDC passes for the winner. All good stuff for aspiring indies. The basic FAQ is here, and the more detailed information doc is here. Probably worth signing up if you’re into that sort of cleverness.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Sagan says:

Thanks for the tip.
    I might enter in this just to finally get some C++ experience, and because I want to see what it is like working with expensive development tools.

2. jalf says:

Optimized for Intel Graphics? Those three words just don’t make sense in the same context.

Anyway, seems like fun.. If only I had a bit more free time. But doing this just when I’m supposed to start on my thesis is probably a bad idea…. Unless I could combine the two… *ponders*

3. Gap Gen says:

Can you win the Threaded Game entry just by having the sweetest threads? I have a really nice t-shirt.

4. Scandalon says:

jalf – same context? Sure they do. It just means you have to make your game to use polycounts that would have been standard for the industry, say, 3 or 5 years ago. :P

5. Gap Gen says:

Well, optimising for shitty graphics cards isn’t a bad idea if you want casual gamers with cheap dekstops or laptops to play your game.

6. Rei Onryou says:

Sounds cool, but I don’t have the time for such things. If I had a decent, simple idea, then perhaps.

7. Erik Sebellin-Ross says:

We’ve got a Facebook page up, by the way, folks — we’ll have competition updates, interviews with past finalists, and that sort of wholesome goodness going up there. Would love it if you could join — http://www.facebook.com/pages/Level-Up-2009-IntelR-Visual-Adrenaline-Game-Demo-Challenge/70872257408

8. Larington says:

Sure, I’ll join the facebook group and creep around in the shadows… Actual participation is a problem though, my studies are going to be keeping me very busy for the next 2 months.

9. GearLust says:

wow,. did you hear what happened to SYNTH,. he got “kicked out”

Comment on this story