Boing Boing Versus Jane McGonigal

By Jim Rossignol on April 7th, 2009 at 8:09 pm.

The ultimate battle! Or at least a strange cosplay dance and a fairly rich conversation – orchestrated by Offworld’s peerless documentary GDC coverage – which covers “hacking” player behaviour, developer responsibility, humiliation, secret dance offs, the future of interactivity, programmable realities, the “game movement” and the overall importance of gaming in modern life. If any of that sounds intriguing you should go and watch below, and visit Offworld because Brandon is a blog-wielding hero of our time.

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. dhex says:

that’s the peak oil lady, right?

2. Larington says:

Having to preload to view these, either bit rate is too high for average home users or the Internet hates me.

I’ve heard people say the Internet can’t possibly fail, but didn’t they say that about the Titanic? I sometimes wonder if it’d be possible to take the whole Internet offline because the whole Internet backbone is just too flooded with data and you get a data packet equivalent of a resonance cascade happening as a result. Head crabs could be appearing on your very computer monitor… And in the game.

3. rei says:

Jane’s dyed her hair :\

4. DigitalSignalX says:

Screw the interview, what’s up with that digital picture frame that appears to host game characters in idle animation/poses. That’s pretty darn nifty… I’d love to be able to export all my chars from every game I play into something like that, rather then just screen shots like I have now. Will google…

edit: ahh ok, most new frames will play avi, mpeg4 etc, perhaps she just did a video cap from each game to get a sample file to upload.

5. Larington says:

Struggling to take the interview in, for some reason, but I did like the quote that went “The opposite of play isn’t work, its depression.”

Definately agree on the caustic nature of YouTube, I don’t like the idea of controlling people behaviour to any significant degree, but something actually effective really ought to be done about the way people like to be such assholes on the YouTube comments system.

6. hearsedriver says:

Xeni Jardin looks
    [x] completely stoned
    [x] like she’s going to puke any second
    [x] slightly disinterested (but throwing in matching brain-farts every now and then)
    Tick all that fit.

7. roBurky says:

I always love to hear Mcgonical talk.

The stuff about the secret dance-off comment system was genius. How do you spell the word she was using for what she was trying to induce in the dance-off community, but wasn’t in the youtube community?

8. Mathew Jensterle says:

That’s the thing, I was hearing that word as “gen”, which I understood as a word meaning illusion, but after the usual wikipedia shuffle I think she said
    <a href=”http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren_(Confucianism)” title=”‘Ren'”. Is 29 too young to want a hearing aid?

9. Mathew Jensterle says:

Ah well. Might need a new brain as well. Sorry about not closing tag.

10. Larington says:

Heh, I heard Zen or Zhen, wasn’t sure exactly the pronounciation myself.

11. Catastrophe says:

I heard Gen or Jen or Zhen or Xhen. You get the idea.

12. Alex Waterston says:

God I hate Xeni Jardin.
    Useless waste of Internets space that she is.

13. Eamo says:

So, how exactly is wasting your life making youtube videos more enriching than wasting your life playing games?

Is this serious or a joke? I guess it is a reflection on the sad state of the world when I can no longer tell the difference.

14. Andy says:

I recently heard McGonigal talk about massively multiplayer gaming as a way to solve real world problems and was enticed by her ideas. Definately the personal highlight of my CeBIT tradefair visit in Germany.

15. Rei Onryou says:

I hadn’t heard of McGonigal until now, but those interviews really were something. She could make the world a better place. And in the game.

I love the idea of making the world more of a game. How many of us have learned more about history during Total War or Company of Heroes sessions than at school, purely because we’re having fun? If the workplace had game elements, productivity may increase, etc etc.

Her system for only being able to leave positive feedback sounds like something the internet really needs, yet is so simple in concept. Any bets that the next big MMO introduces some of her ideas?

16. Kieron Gillen says:

McGonigal is a total phenomenon.

KG

17. Joe says:

Sure that would have been an interesting interview, but I can’t really stomach to watch when there’s typing going on throughout and Xeni spends the whole vid with more attention on her macbook than her subject to be honest. I’ll go read about McGonigal elsewhere.

18. Johnson27 says:

Totally love those ideas, also can’t help but agreeing that at times it felt like the interviewer really wasn’t paying attention. Would be fine if she was off camera, but she wasn’t, however I also hate the feigned interest some interviewers give as evidenced but that stupid nodding they do on occasion. So they officially cannot win. Goodbye

19. Kieron Gillen says:

Be fair to Xeni: She’s getting questions from chat. She has to be looking elsewhere.

KG

20. Horace Bumsworth, Esquire says:

The boing boing crew are, in my humble opinion to, a horridly obnoxious congregation of self-important fawning long-tongued miscreants who I would gladly witness banished from the internets.

21. Larington says:

The typing noise in the background on the first video cuts out a few minutes in, someone must’ve forgotten to flip a switch prior to that.

Sometimes, I wish it was possible to ban negativity from the Internet, but that’d probably get annoying after a while too.

22. Brass Gerbil says:

What, no lesbo vid?

Gyp.

23. Robin says:

I’ve never thought that the internet suffered from *too much* shame.

24. Klaus says:

Eh, endless optimism or pessimism is equally annoying. I tried that ‘only positive feedback’ thing in real life. It seems all very patronizing.

25. alex_jacobson says:

“What, no lesbo vid?

Gyp.”

Yeah, totally. Jane MCGonigal sounds kinky with that whole thing about humiliation too.

26. Kieron Gillen says:

Gentlemen. Be gentlemen.

KG

27. Jarmo says:

Jane McGonigal offers life-changing and -affirming, inspiring, energising, astonishing and wonderful visions of the near future. Thank you for exposing us to her and them. Having just listened to her, I feel I have been near true greatness. This is a very rare and precious happenstance.