Fight For Your Rite To: Dungeon Party Open Beta

By Kieron Gillen on April 9th, 2009 at 5:21 pm.

Dungeon! Dungeon!

We’ve mentioned Cyanide’s (who are currently finishing off Blood Bowl) free-to-play MMO being in development before. However news reaches us via the wonders of e-mail that it’s gone into full on Open Beta. You can download the 400Mb or so client from here and make an account here. I haven’t had a chance to take it out for a spin yet, but it appears to be a competitive team-based comedy RPG thing based around dragging the treasure out of the dungeon first. Also, dressing your characters up like agreeable dolts. You’ll get the feel from a couple of videos beneath the cut. Anyone given it a shot yet?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. jon_hill987 says:

This looks quite fun. Free to play you say…

2. Sp4rkR4t says:

Looks a larf, grabbing the client now.

3. cyrenic says:

The overall gameplay (jump into a server to play a match) looks to resemble something like TF2 more than an MMO, which is interesting. I’m wondering how the actual mechanics are, and if the matches are fun. If anyone gets a chance to play I’m interested in your impressions. I’ll probably try it this weekend if I get a chance.

4. The Hammer says:

This looks absolutely bonkers.

I’ll need to download later.

5. heartless_ says:

Looks good. As I am a proud sponsor of free games now, I will have to give this a try.

6. Lobotomist says:

Played it for a bit. Until i realized its most insane ITEM SHOP game. Think TF2 , where you can buy much more powerful weapons and armors and spells for $$$

So yes.

Item shop PVP game…

I pass

7. the affront says:

I read it plays via click-to-move with no option to use e.g. WASD and promptly cancelled my download. Also apparently you only keep your stats, and not your level, between matches. Combined with team vs team gameplay and no persistent world it really isn’t an MMO in any shape.

8. cyrenic says:

On the game’s forum, one of the developers said they’re trying to borrow a lot from DotA. So that makes sense there’s no WASD movement. They should be calling it a team based RTS/RPG, not an MMO :P.

9. Ryx says:

I played it, it was awful. Laggy as in latency, bad translation errors, you have to pay real money to change anything on your character from default besides colors, and there’s no WASD movement. Also there were about 3 servers up when I got in the game, and the lobbies were glitchy as all hell

10. DMJ says:

Lack of permanence does undermine what I tend to think of as the point of these games. It’s like a 3D, cartoony Diablo… but with slower combat, more fiddly interface, and no persistent progression for your character.

Gaming’s dirty little secret becomes a little bit dirtier: We get upset if the number doesn’t get bigger… and it’s almost unforgivable when the number goes down.

11. Jubaal says:

Well a lack of WASD controls and no option to reverse mouse means I got as far as the options. For some reason their 1600×1200 resolution only takes up 2 thirds of my screen.

Shame, looks like it could have been fun.

12. Nutkins Victory Otter says:

God rest ye merry, gentlemen
    Let nothing you dismay
    Remember, Christ, our Saviour
    Was born on Christmas day
    To save us all from Satan’s power
    When we were gone astray
    O tidings of comfort and joy,
    Comfort and joy
    O tidings of comfort and joy

13. RiptoR says:

After reading the comments, I think I’ll pass.

I did get a craving for some dungeon runners though.

14. Griffinheart says:

My kingdom, my kingdom, my kingdom for a decent Diablo clone.

15. Guy says:

How do you screw up the simple stuff? We, as gamers, aren’t very difficult to understand. Our tastes don’t change drastically from year to year and we’re extremely easy to please. Just look at My Brute.

There is no reason for this level of mediocrity anymore.

16. Hades says:

Tried it on a closed beta – laggy play. Tries to be DoTA – camera control is a pain. Its awfully funny though – that’s the only thing I found worth mentioning it for to other people.

17. Bonny says:

The weapons and custom you can buy with $$$ is juste aesthetics, no stats involved, so Lobotomist, you’re soooo wrong ^^

and btw it’s a beta, and we have a lot of fun and not so many bugs in a very fun pvp game. Come and play with us guys ^^ it’s realy free

18. Jecko says:

Really free, fresh and fun as well! You can play for free as long as you wish. The shop is only here if you want to custom your hero’s appearance, not to buy better weapons/items… no impacts on the gameplay…

19. Ryx says:

I think Jecko might be working for the devs..

20. gryffinp says:

Just from looking at the trailers: I feel like it’s trying too hard to be wacky and silly. Very much a turn off.

Also: Is it an MMO or capture the flag?