“Spy-Fi”: Global Agenda Footage

By Jim Rossignol on April 14th, 2009 at 7:29 am.

Embedded below is a huge video trailer for the forthcoming action MMO, Global Agenda, featuring its executive producer Todd Harris. The video covers a huge amount of material, discussing everything from the way in which the instanced combat missions are linked together to divide 60-man PvP raids into half a dozen smaller, mission-based systems, to the over-arching construction of bases by player factions. Harris says “not just more power, but more options” when talking about player advancement, and then goes on to explain that newbies can compete with older players in PvP. This makes me like him. I’m still a bit foggy as to what makes the game “spy”, but the “fi” part might just work. Also: Jetpacks!

Global Agenda is scheduled for release in late 2009.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Arca says:

Looking interesting, especially the agency pseudo-strategy aspects.

2. Howard says:

Whoa…
    Tribes meets Planetside meets WoW, anyone?

Must of missed previous chatter about this but have to say I am interested

3. Tei says:

Imagine TF2, with the weapon unlocking of BF2, on a counter-strike map.

4. Thumper says:

Definitely some Tribes influence in there, which means they’ve already sold me a copy.

With some Shadowrun, Gunz, TF2 and Planetside thrown in for good measure this looks like it’ll be hard to mess up!

5. BlackKraken says:

Looks nice! Ill definitely watch this one, and im not normally an mmo type of person.

6. Feet says:

That actually looks pretty good…

7. Ian says:

It looks good but I have a feeling they might be trying too hard to make everybody be able to play everybody else and compete.

I really hope I’m wrong though, because it’s looking entertaining and I liked all the ideas (I think) that he discussed there.

8. sfury says:

Spi-Ffy

9. Down Rodeo says:

Looks interesting. The combat even looks fairly solid.

10. CakeAddict says:

Certainly going to give this a try if I can get some buddy’s to get it to.

11. Catastrophe says:

Combat and movement looks really solid… interesting :)

12. Jubaal says:

This doesn’t really grab me to be honest as it sounds too instanced. I like my MMOs to be big and bold, but I can’t help feeling this is going to be too insular. One of the things I liked about Planetside was the scale, the fact that you felt like you were in a war. This sounds like a skirmish at best. Gameplay wise it doesn’t sound like you will get much more out of this than BF2142 other than possible a few more skills and a crafting system.

13. rebb says:

Eenteresteeng.
    Getting some Tribes / Planetside Vibes from this.

*likes*

14. Duke Nasty VI says:

That looks like something I might enjoy. Looks pretty solid already. Signing up for the closed beta now.

15. Tei says:

You can have 3 deployables, maybe 3 turrets, or 2 turrets and a shield. But turrets don’t live long. Nothing live’s long. So I don’t see the fun on playing a engineer on this game. I don’t see the fun on playing on this game. But it has good netcode, good maps, good models, good enough animations. It has pseudo-vehicles (robots) that are somewhat lame. And only on some maps. The PVE is abismal lame (like bots running to his doom). Is a 50$ game, it is a AAA game, but I like more the other games ( BF2, Tribes, Planetside, TF2) than this one. Everyone of these ones are better. TF2 is a better “2forts” skyrmiss MP game than GA. Planetside and Trives have vehicles.. this one not. And Planetside has a hugue map, and a persistent world, this one is a serie of arenas. Much like Wow arenas, I suppose ( I have not played wow). But he!.. You can play Warhammer:Online from level 1 to 40 just doing arenas. Arenas are fun!.

16. l1ddl3monkey says:

Jetpacks? I’m in.

17. Arca says:

The thing that bugged me about Planetside was that every base assault was basically a back and forth meatgrinder fight that progressed inch by bloody inch through the corridors and that could last hours in some cases. Global Agenda breaks up that “meatgrinder” feel whilst still keeping the “part of a major assault” feel.

Or at least that’s what it looks like they’re trying for, which isn’t all bad.

18. Sonic Goo says:

In the future all buildings will be made of metal sheeting.

19. Tei says:

@Sonic Goo: I love some of the GA graphics. Really cool sci-fi style. Theres even something that look like “spider oil refinery”. Cool stuff. The graphics of GA are awesome. And more important:the right ones that a game of this type need.

20. roBurky says:

That looks quite nice.

21. MeestaNob! says:

This looks… fun?

I haven’t really played an MMO before (WOW trial didn’t interest me), but this looks pretty good.

22. Redford says:

Tei, if you are not a tester it’s difficult for you to get an idea of the actual game play because all you can see is videos. If you have played it, then you are effectively violating the NDA by posing your opinions of a pre-beta release to a gaming news site.

In either case, it’s worth pointing out that this is a pre-beta release, and many things can change before the first consumer version. I personally think that everyone was dying way too fast – game play which equates to “if you shoot first then you always win” does not appeal very much to me, realistic as it is.

23. Tei says:

@Redford: Probably you are right, and I will STFU.

Comment on this story