Deconstruction Complete: Braid Level Editor

By Kieron Gillen on April 15th, 2009 at 12:20 pm.

I’m going to post some thoughts on PC Braid later, but until then, here’s some exciting news. Jonathan Blow has just posted the instructions for getting the Braid level editor working over on the Braid blog. In a state-the-obvious-way, the ability to play whatever the community comes up with makes me enormously excited for the future of PC-Braid. It’s a fully functional editor, allowing you to fiddle with all variables – the example level features a fast Tim – and import whatever you fancy. I suspect you can now fastforward to the future where RPS makes a Braid level with a series of sketches of phalluses. Because we’re very mature. Go play.

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. nabeel says:

Looking forward to your thoughts on Braid, I’m so glad to finally be able to play it. I do hope the community picks up on the editor and creates some good levels.

2. orta says:

hooray! Braid is awesome, shame the mac port’ll take a while otherwise I’d have bought that instead of the PC one. Great game, I’d excited to see what some inventive modders can do.

3. Rei Onryou says:

I await my chance to jump over ejaculating phalluses while bending time. And in the game!

4. AndrewC says:

Maybe when gamers start trying to make levels they’ll realise just how good Blow’s ones are.

5. FreudianTrip says:

I can’t even complete the demo so I think I’ll give the whole thing a miss shamefully.

6. Paul Moloney says:

That looks cool – I actually bought it on XBox Live (bows head in shame) since I have way too many PC games on the go right now, and wanted _something_ to play on my XBox, but I’m still planning to buy it on PC – will probably wait for a sale though.

P.

7. unique_identifier says:

owweeeeeeeeeeeee. this is some kind of trap to get me to buy the game. again.

8. Dood says:

Ooh, I love Braid. And it’s one of the few puzzle games that actually make me feel intelligent for solving a puzzle.

9. Tei says:

/hat to this guy, thanks!

10. Markoff Chaney says:

I noticed this in the readme when I got the demo for Braid and I’m glad he posted the promised forthcoming instructions sooner than later. Good to see, as usual, the definitive version on my preferred platform that actually makes modding viable.

I’m a huge fan of community created content as it can provide significant extension to already enjoyed conceits of gameplay and can, sometimes, even add some of their own to make us think all over again.

11. Saul says:

I’m in love with Braid.

12. Jazmeister says:

I’m in love with the Braid demo. My birthday is at the end of the month and I’ve been instructed not to buy it. I feel like their values are, to me, meaningless. I feel circumscribed by their expectations of what I enjoy. In the distance, there’s a computer running Braid without hurting anyone’s feelings, and the bread is always, uh, warm.

13. Heliocentric says:

This is pc, mirrors edge and braid get level editors. Sure the developers of one don’t want you to have it. But that hardly matters.

I’ll wait a few months for the quality braid map packs to be developed and identified. Kisses pc, is there anything you can’t do?

14. Supertonic says:

Mac port. Dude, run it on wine or crossover (whichever it is you can get on a mac). Runs perfectly for me on wine with dx9 and a couple of other bits installed via winetricks on my linux box.

15. Cedge says:

I intend to get cracking and replace all of the graphics with Mario sprites and stage graphics, so that I can actually stand to look at the game.

16. Adam T says:

I thought the whole point was how well done the braid puzzles were? Isn’t a braid editor the equivelent of borrowing Michael Jordan’s shoes?

17. Neut says:

Let’s see if I can out-Blow Blow himself eh.

It’ll probably suck.