Wolverine Vs Super Miscreants

By Jim Rossignol on April 17th, 2009 at 10:48 am.

2009 is looking pretty healthy as far as games based on super-dudes go. Batman is looking reasonably solid and Wolverine has The Blob in it. In fairness there does seem to be a rather staid formula to how these third-person action games are rolled out, but Wolverine’s clawing is pretty enough that it might not matter. Still, I think he’d look much better in that old yellow and blue X-Men outfit. Whatever happened to those? I digress: below is a lovely trailer via Joystiq, and the game is out May 1st.

, .

1. Ian says:

The Art Director has a kickass ‘tache.

2. Dan Harris says:

That looks fairly boss. Is it deffo coming out on PC, though?

3. Dominic White says:

I recall hearing that there are two versions of this going to be released. One which is relatively safe for the kiddies, and another that shows what exactly happens when a guy with gigantic razor-sharp knives for hands goes on a rampage.

I think I remember one preview mentioning Wolvie lifting a guys head into a helicopters spinning rotors. Ouch.

4. Lu-Tze says:

I think my favourite feature they’ve mentioned is that Logan’s clothes and eventually skin and muscle get shredded by damage to reveal the adamantium, and then grow back (kinda like the end of XMen 3, not the clothes though obviously).

I really want to see that in action. I’m also kinda curious how on earth you lose when you are invulnerable to damage.

And I bet the Yellow and Blue spandex is an unlockable costume.

5. Ian says:

“I’m also kinda curious how on earth you lose when you are invulnerable to damage.”

I’m no X-Men lore-buff, but I imagine Wolverine can be put out of action for lengthier periods of time if he takes enough of a pasting faster than even his considerable healing factor can cope with, so I imagine it’s that. If you take enough of a hammering then you get knocked out and the baddies can… I dunno. Carry you away and chuck you in a bonfire or something.

6. Xercies says:

And remember if you cut off his breathing he will die, so just pretend that when Wolverine gets to low “health” he gets knocked out and so they suffocate him.

7. Idle Threats & Bad Poetry says:

B-b-b-but…

How do the enemies not die instantly when you are shredding them with three knives?

it’s only a game its only a game its only a game…

8. Markoff Chaney says:

I think I picked up some tidbits on this game from the GAF (so take with a grain of salt).

- You can’t die. You can black out and damage is visible as you take it up to, eventually, even seeing through Logan’s body when he’s hurt enough. If you take enough damage you “shut down” but power back up when you are healed up.

- It will indeed be M rated and be much closer to the comics than the movie. Complete with limb removal and other gory joys.

As long as it hits the PC I’ll probably pick it up to live out some long standing slicing fantasies or, at least, try out a demo if we can be so lucky.

phuzz says:

ArsTechnica have a little preview thingy here which answers some of these questions.
    I’m all for big killy knife man :)

10. Chris says:

The blue-and-yellow spandex is confirmed as an unlockable. Also, the preview build I played was incredibly violent. Decapitation by helicopter blade, claws through the eye sockets.

11. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I’m not sure why, but the people in the trailer irked me a bit. Now, I’m not part of their target audience anyway, but I have this itchy feeling they are making a game which doesn’t go where one could (I imagine something like God of War, but less callous, considering what I’ve seen/heard of that) take a superhero game.. especially with Wolverine.

Dunno.

12. Robyrt says:

Honestly, Wolverine is already custom-made for a God of War clone. Regenerating health? Crowd-control melee attacks? Rage meter? Secret agent with a dark and terrible past? Grey and brown near-future locales? Lots of lame villains suitable for level bosses? Check!

13. Paul Moloney says:

Hmm, doesn’t tell me much except that it looks like the archetypal third-person console buttom masher. The upcoming Batman game looks way better than this.

P.

14. dadioflex says:

He wears the yellow and blue in the “Wolverine and The X-Men” cartoon that’s shown on BBC2 on Saturday mornings, (I think).

15. Paul B says:

Come on dadioflex, there’s nothing embarrassing about watching Saturday morning kid’s cartoons. I still do and have done since the days of Mask and Timmy Mallett. The Wolverine cartoon is excellent.

16. Lang says:

Wolerine and sabretooth are AAAAGH NOT LISTENING

17. yns88 says:

Good news – Looks like it’ll be one of those rare cases of the game being more enjoyable than the movie

Bad news – The movie sucks donkey balls, so that’s not saying much.

18. Solario says:

I’m kinda interested now actually. And people, people! It’s all about the brown and tan costume.

One question: Gambit as everyone’s favorite? I think we all know what kind of game this is now. God. Gambit is kinda lame. I liked him and Mr. Sinister better, when they were suppose to be figments of a child’s imagination.