No Trick: Ruse In Action

By Alec Meer on April 18th, 2009 at 1:17 pm.

I’m quite excited about Ubisoft’s enormo-RTS Ruse (let’s not dignify marketing idiocy with the capital letters or full stops), but last time I nattered about it here all I had to show you was a trailer that seemed more like it was advertising haircuts or watches. So it’s way past time I nudged y’all in the direction of some in-game footage. Oh, it’s worth watching the HD version of the first vid if your bandwidth can stomach it…

And some camjob game walkthrough stuff from GDC:

Your eyes must be very tired now.

, , .

1. mrrobsa says:

Well it didn’t set my pulse racing.
    But I loved that they put a billion polys on the screen, then added a couple more million so I could feel the ‘true impact’…
    Who writes this stuff? Tighten up the graphics on level 3 etc.

2. Xercies says:

Looks quite good, but a million polygons added doesn’t really do anything to make me feel a true impact. It just makes the stuff they have used more smoother but takes a lot more processor power to do it. I highly doubt they were using a billion polygons on that since that would be very laggy.

3. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Not sure why, but the embedded version seems not to work for me.

4. bob arctor says:

The scale effect was wierd. Like supcom but with GIANTTANKS instead of icons.

5. cowthief skank says:

I get lots of white boxes where I suspect there should be videos…

6. Fenchurch says:

An RTS where the central mechanic claims to be information/misinformation? Yes please!

7. Optimaximal says:

So basically, it all boils down to a generic WW2 RTS with a particular focus on superweapons/power-ups?

Give me Men of War any day…

8. Rei Onryou says:

Almost a billion polygons plus a couple million more polygons = almost a billion polygons anyway? Or even a billion polygons.

For some reason, I doubt there was a billion. If only the Black Prophecy voice over guy did this.

WE! ARE! DESTINED! TO ALMOST A BILLION POLYGONS! SO WE ADDED A COUPLE MILLION MORE!

WE! ARE! DESTINED! TO FEEL THE TRUE IMPACT!

9. Davee says:

This game is getting more and more intetresting… And as bob arctor over here said, yeah, those gigant tanks look rather strange in zoomed out mode. But i guess it’s just something to get used to.

10. Tei says:

I looks like a kinda crazy fun game. I don’t understand my teammates commenters on this thread, but I can join on the fun (I think this one is from futurama):
    RUSE: more polygons than real life.

Probably this game will fell somewhat like supcom :-)

11. Ludwig says:

The game mechanics sound really interesting but I found the interface really odd. Maybe it is just a matter of getting used to it, hard to make a sound judgement of a new idea from a few seconds footage in a clip…

…but still – inflatable tanks? It all looked slick at a strategic level as you zoomed in and out of the huge, gorgeous world and the discs representing the units scaled up and down accordingly but as soon as the tanks started moving it just looked wrong.

12. Rudolfo says:

Massive polygon count, massive impact, feel every second of it zoomed out to the max like in supreme commander, otherwise you can’t command your massive army -.- Pretty nonetheless.

Plus, the guy was scared to sound like the Black prophecy dude, I believe.

13. Rich_P says:

The first thing I noticed (after some weirdly jerky animations)? Towns have actual names above them! Really gives you a sense of scale, adding to the giant battle map feeling.

14. Sp4rkR4t says:

That engine looks seriously flawed.

15. Jon says:

Why, Sp4rkR4t?

16. Jon says:

Seriously.

‘that engine looks seriously flawed’

‘looks rubbish’

What possible value do these statements have?

I’m pretty sure the narrator was referring to the billion or so polygons each map contains as a whole – they’re not all rendered simultaneously.

Still, I reckon it looks great :)

17. Fumarole says:

Looking better and better. Definitely on my radar. I love how the war room comes into view as the camera zooms out. Brilliant stuff.

18. Tally Ho says:

This one will need a demo to really see how it plays. I cast scorn for the moment.

19. IvanHoeHo says:

I like the scale, but I actually enjoy the micro(?) attention to details more. For example, as far as I can see, the environment has no bearing to what happens to the units – the tanks move at the same speed no matter what terrain! they’re on, and how the tanks continue to advance, even when it may not be wise to do so. Must be why I love Men Of War so much, though.

20. DigitalSignalX says:

RTS? Check. WW2? Check.

Seems like Ubi is just handing us the same game we’ve been playing in different flavors for the past 5 years, only REALLY DETAILED n’ PRETTY! MKAY.

Endwar was pretty too. From what I can observe, RUSE seems to use the same “point your units and watch” game play style too, absolutely no tactics or strategy. But did we mention it’s DETAILED AND PRETTY?

21. Mad Doc MacRae says:

So… managing power-ups while way-too-big tanks and things sort of mill about with some inconclusive explosions going off around them…

I’m certainly not sold yet.

22. Serondal says:

This seems like a pimped out version of one of those Battalion war games or Advanced War. The units are generic and counter each other. That having been said I love those kinds of games and this looks very interesting! Will want to get my hands on this

23. Myros says:

While it looks pretty, the actual gameplay looked to be about 90% moving the camera around saying ‘ooh pretty’.

Makes me wonder how much depth there is to the actual strategy and tactics that will make the game more than something nice to look at.

24. A-Scale says:

I have ABSOLUTELY no idea how this game will be played.

25. Dude says:

Seems to me that the zoomed leve doesn’t serve any purpose, well just one, see thing blown up. But the actual terrain seems to matter little to the way units behave, straight line trough tree, weapon don’t mind tree neither, seems a bite shallow for the moment, I was expecting a little bit more….

26. codekitchen says:

I can’t tell about the gameplay yet, but the UI is brilliantly done. Cheers to Ubisoft for that, if nothing else.