Hot Rock: Obsidian To Do New Fallout Game

By Kieron Gillen on April 20th, 2009 at 3:17 pm.

News just in from Gamasutra. Bethesda’s Pete Hines, speaking in London, revealed that KOTOR2/NWN2 veterans Obsidian are working on a new Fallout game going under the name “Fallout: New Vegas”. The only facts we have are that it’s not Fallout Tactics, Brotherhood of Steel and doesn’t impact what the actual main Bethesda Fallout team are doing. Which does make the puzzle be exactly what it could be. My gut response guess would be something using the Fallout 3 engine, in a locale well away from where Bethesda are operating – perhaps, I dare say, in Vegas – and probably set in a different period. But that’s just nonsense I’ve just made up, obv. It could be a Fallout Slot Machine Game for all I know. The comments thread is your place for speculation.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Sartoris says:

My dear, poor Fallout, I cry at the sight of your fragile, once-beautiful bottom destroyed by so much violent pounding :’(

2. Freudian Trip says:

It’ll be Oblivion with nuns.

3. a rob amongst many says:

It is pretty obviously a crossover between Ubisoft’s Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six’s Vegas 2′s franchise-based squad-based game thing and the Fallout universe. Terrorists have taken over New New Vegas and it’s up to you and your wise-cracking team mates to take them out using any means necesarry. Your means are limited to guns and your imagination but mostly just guns and grenades. Moral choices involve: capping a dude in the head or capping a dude in his groin. Stats are handled by Vegas 2′s grind-based progress method. Shoot 100 groins to gain a level in groin shooting.

Obviously.

4. The Sombrero Kid says:

it’s clearly fallout pinball

5. Sinnerman says:

Neverwinter Nights 2 with guns?

6. Sinnerman says:

Alpha protocol with different guns?

Man, the possibilities.

7. The Sombrero Kid says:

KoTOR2.5 with an ending, whoopa!

8. I am a panzer says:

“Neverwinter Nights 2 with guns?”

LOL, yeah.

9. Okami says:

So we’ll get a Fallout game with a real story and writing that doesn’t make a six year old wince with pain?

10. gryffinp says:

I HOPE it’s Fallout Pinball.

11. Snappyterm says:

Heh, so I suppose it’s back home, in a way. Certainly more at home than it ever would be with whatever Interplay is now.

Little surprised at the immediate pessemism. Be fair, Obsidian’s the closest to a spiritual successor to Black Isle that there is.

12. Zinic says:

The main points of the article that spark my interest however are the fact that he says that “It has no impact on what [Bethesda Game Studios game director] Todd Howard and his guys are planning.” This quote leads me to believe that Bethesda might be working on another entry in the series already, and not just DLC.

Why do I have this strange feeling that this game won’t be an RPG. Fallout Racing anyone?

Actually, on second thought, maybe this game is just Fallout 2.5. Obsidian connecting the first games with the third. You never know.

13. DigitalSignalX says:

I picture the opening cinematic from the last Resident Evil Extinction teaser and think wasteland Vegas could work out ok. At least the default color scheme from Fallout 3 would be an accurate environmental fit regardless of the radioactivity debate.

Worst case scenario: Fallout MMO. *shudder*

14. Kanamit says:

Can we all just pretend Fallout 3 never happened and give whatever Obsidian creates (assuming it’s decent) the title? Because whatever the merits of Bethesda’s post-apocalyptic RPG are, it is just not Fallout.

Disclaimer: I say this as a mostly uninformed AIM.

15. Tei says:

I don’t know what game are creating, but It will start with your main character memory deleted/amnestic.

16. Jeremy says:

Yeah, because Fallout 3 totally made my niece wince! I’m excited for this game, I definitely respect the Obsidian name and hopefully they pump out some good stuff here. Didn’t quite a few of the old Fallout boys end up leaving Interplay and starting Obsidian?

17. lemming says:

Its quite obviously Fallout Tycoon…

18. Schmung says:

You’re all completely wrong. It’s very obviously a bit of marketing synergy brand marriage type of thing between Fallout and open world vegas simulator This is Vegas. Tramp around post apocalyptic Vegas and experience the delights of triple breasted hookers, rusty slot machines (orr-err) and hitting people in the face with VATS.

Actually, I’m sure the game I was originally thinking of wasn’t This is Vegas, but something else that was possibly talked about here. Oh well, my google-fu is weak today.

19. Aldo says:

I think Chris Avellone recently joined Obsidian (from Interplays V13 MMO), didn’t he?

20. Howard says:

Are people REALLY still bent outa shape about Fallout 3? Jesus guys, move the hell on.

As for the article: Could be good. A spin off game offering the same style of goods as Fallout 3 but in a different location would be a good thing.

21. Demikaze says:

The thing that I felt was lacking in Fallout 3 was narrative or, more importantly, a contextual/historical narrative. Approaching the series for the first time, little was explained to me. I wanted some sort of historical grounding – at least a few conversations that taught me a little more about the world. But I was never given the option to grill people on the subject. When I finally came across the library, I was quite excited, thinking that I could finally learn a little about this city. But there were no tomes or terminals to illuminate me. I know we’re meant to be embodying the Vault Dweller, someone who has no knowledge of the outside world, but this made my thirst for this knowledge paramount. “Here,” the game says, “take this expansive and detailed world. Explore it! Loot it! Learn diddly about it!”. In this respect, I think it was a bit behind Oblivion which had countless books to feast upon. I garnered a very real sense of that fantasy world. Fallout 3 is a great game, it’s brilliantly impressive, and I wanted to learn as much as I could about this stunning creation. It’s just a shame I couldn’t. Here’s hoping this new entry takes this into account.

22. Homunculus says:

Yeah, J. E. Sawyer works at Obsidian, who I think was lead developer on Black Isle’s initial stab at Fallout 3; so I imagine he must be made up at the news that he gets a second bite of the cherry, this time with a backer that appears to be financially stable.

23. Steve says:

Cue the angry internet men known as NMA. Wish they’d quit their cryin’.

Hopefully the dialogue wont be as awful as Fallout 3′s was.

24. TwistyMcNoggins says:

“I find it interesting that they emphasize that the game is not Fallout Tactics nor Brotherhood of Steel. Seems like they didn’t like those entries in the series either.”

Much more likely that they just want to confirm it’s a genuine RPG rather than a spin-off in a different vein.

Fallout Tactics is actually an excellent game and after F3 ejaculated and wiped dog poop over the cannon, there’s really not a single thing to hold against it.

25. Smurfy says:

Have you seen the NMAers’ responses? “Bethesda will force Obsidian to make it an awful shooter!”

26. James G says:

I originally read the headline as ‘Bethesda to do new Fallout Game’ and was tempted to post a sardonic comment which denied the existence of excrement to a well known fictional detective. Then my brain actually started working and suddenly the post was a lot more interesting.

I liked Fallout 3, and that comes from someone who would probably be classed in the Oblivion haters camp. (Although I’d be lazing around the middle somewhere, rather than upfront shouting at the riot police.) However the thought of Obsidian getting involved is certainly interesting. I just hope they are given plenty of time, and a few lessons on Q&A, although I’m not convinced that Bethesda are the best people to advise here, as FO3 had a few too many CTDs for my taste. (Although something I tweaked early on did seem to reduce these dramatically)

I’m hoping for Mask of the Betrayer with guns.

F3 ejaculated and wiped dog poop over the cannon,

I’ve seen several people say this, but haven’t seen any gross contradictions, although I haven’t read the Fallout Bible so may be missing something key.

27. pilouuuu says:

Wow! You just can’t have enough Fallout. I’m really excited as soon as it is not an MMO.

I would love it to be a parallel story set in Vegas, made in the same engine, but with good dialogues and character.

Maybe some vehicle riding would be cool. Also more colours on the palette. At least we know there will be neon lights. Hopefully they’re still working!

I also expect them to have the time to finish the game.

28. DMJ says:

In a bold move, Obsidian will dispense with interactivity for Fallout: New Vegas: The Musical.

29. Rinox says:

I guess we can assume it’s an RPG if Obsidian is working on a franchise that is essentially an RPG (Tactics and BoS be damned).

Much as I liked F3 for what it was, I do hope Obsidian brings a little more depth back to the character development of Fallout…having tag skills work as in the original games, allowing skills to go over 100% (at great cost) and bring back the old perk/trait system. Why were they even omitted in the first place?

30. Pijama says:

Obsidian?

If those guys get funds and time, they might be able to do something nice. Considering that NWN2 was AWFUL on the technical side and KoTOR2 got bloody screwed because of the release pressure… Heh…

Still! Better than Bethesda.

31. bhlaab says:

It would be NICE if Obsidian made it play like a real fallout game (iso/turn based), but I know that’s more or less impossible.

However, getting some decent writing all up in will be a huge breath of fresh air. I think Bethesda will be smart enough about their new Golden Boy IP to not allow them to ship with awful bugs.

32. Jeremy says:

How did FO3 mess up with Fallout canon? Or did you mean a literal cannon?

33. Wulf says:

I’m with you, Snappyterm, 100 per cent. They’re a brilliant development studio, and the thought of a Fallout by Obsidian leaves me feeling as giggly and excited as … oh, I don’t know, some morbid kid on halloween who has a really good costume, or something.

Also: Neverwinter Nights with guns is… can I be blunt? It’s so stupid it hurts my noggin. Here’s a snippet to consider: An open World NWN module with guns and a post-apocalyptic setting would be almost exactly the same as Fallout 1/2, so Fallout 1/2 are technically NWN with guns, by that logic. Thus NWN with guns is the most pointless bit of lawl i’ve seen in a while.

Oblivion with guns might have worked because Oblivion was such a different game to, say, Baldur’s Gate, and aside from setting and rules, Baldur’s Gate wasn’t that different from Fallout. Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights 2 aren’t that different from Fallout at all, in all but setting and weapons.

What I’m getting at is that this makes it completely redundant to point out that this might be NWN with guns, because change things around in NWN enough and you could make a damned fine Fallout game, less so with Oblivion. Oblivion with guns was more for an “Oh God, no.” reaction, which NWN wouldn’t illicit, I’d imagine.

In fact, a lot of RPGs back in the day were just that; same backbone, very similar engine and feel, tweaks to the rules, and just a very different setting and story separating them.

34. Heliocentric says:

Its rainbow 6 vegas without guns.

But seriously, a fallout 3 expandalone. With CSI bits. And instead of vats you get a slot machine which determines criticals. Also mobsters.

35. Peace of Eight says:

KoToR2 bored me to sleep in 2 hours (as opposed to the original, which was brilliant, if a bit console-ish). NWN2 just blew huge chunks.

Sorry, but this is a nearly guaranteed DevFail = 1, funding or no funding.

36. drewski says:

Being isometric and turn based had absolutely nothing to do with what made Fallout 1/2 great games, else Tactics would be considered a great spinoff instead of Jagged Alliance vs Mad Max but crap. Because, let’s face it, JA v MM would actually be freaking awesome.

As for Obsidian bringing back the trait/perk system or drastically changing, well, anything about the engine – hohoho. I’d say this is, essentially, going to be the same deal that they threw out for KoToR II and NWN2 – using someone else’s tools and world to tell a story they think is interesting and compelling. They might tweak the FO3 ‘verse to better fit the story, but just as KoToR II didn’t suddenly have mounts or free roaming ‘speeder exploration, I wouldn’t expect a new FO game to be substantially different from what Betthesda came up with.

And you know what? I am absolutely 100% fine with that. I love Fallout 3 (as I loved Fallout 2) and Obsidian have, in the past, shown that they’re pretty good at telling engaging, sophisticated and thoughtful stories when given someone else’s tech to play with. And given so many of their studio has experience with the FO franchise already, why would you be pessimistic so early?

I think, this time, we might just be able to have nice things. Fingers crossed.

37. Brulleks says:

Personally, I’m hoping for a post-apocalyptic Elvis simulator.

38. Heliocentric says:

I quite liked fallout tactics. The multiplayer was somewhat interesting too. Actually in terms outright enjoyment rather than ‘its legacy as a fallout game’ it was a success. Set up a sniper in cover flank covered positions and clear out fortified positions with a grenade.

39. Taillefer says:

Fear and Fallout.

40. DK says:

“Be fair, Obsidian’s the closest to a spiritual successor to Black Isle that there is.”
    They’re as far from being a spiritual successor to Black Isle as they are from ever finishing a game. Fallout 3 is a hackjob, but at least Bethesda actually finished that hackjob – Obsidian won’t even do that.

41. postx says:

It’s a post-apocalyptic simcity.

42. jonfitt says:

Please let them finish this one before releasing it. KOTOR2 was such a disappointment.
    But all round good news as fas as I’m concerned. These mini-morsels of extra content have not enticed me at all, but a full blown additional game would be great.

43. Jeremy says:

I love how this has become a “think of the funniest title and mismatch” game.

44. Fumarole says:

So help me if it ends with Rocks Fall Everyone Dies…

45. Hackin', Whackin', Postin' says:

Bethesda is evil. :(

Seriously now: F3 is a victim of overly grand expectations built off of years of nostalgia goggles. Yes, the writing might of been a little shoddier, and the ending maybe a little poorly done, but otherwise? It was a fairly faithful sequel in terms of a story in a series that I don’t believe had the greatest storyline ever (save the village/vault/cheerleader, save the world!), and characters that weren’t that ‘alive’ (honestly, I would say that every memorable character from F1 or F2– and no, whores do not count as memorable characters– could be matched by an equally memorable one in F3, but even then few in any of the games really ‘grew’).

“It’ll be Oblivion with nuns.”

Yes, please!

46. phil says:

Best case: An expandalone focused on recreating the feel and open ended crime drama of New Reno with an updated Fallout 3 engine

Worse case: A rushed cash-in, packaged in a box of sand scorpions with Ebola.

47. (Con)Quests says:

Why is it a puzzle? Bethesda just mean that Obsidian’s game is not related to them in the graphic engine (since beth’s a staff that makes engines, engines are what they care about), and especially in being a sister-company like bioware which co-operate and exchange ideas.

Why would you think they refer to the setting or period?

So it’s gonna be a TRUE Fallout rpg turn-based most likely with NwN2 engine. See? It’s not so hard when one uses logics.

48. O.DOGG says:

This is great news! I can’t wait to learn more about the project.

49. sfury says:

*crying with happiness*

50. TheFalcon says:

Sounds interesting. Could Fallout: New Vegas be to Fallout 3 as GTA: Vice City was to GTA 3?

I’m excited at least. It would be fun to see a more direct continuation of the stories set on the west coast. There’s quite a bit of missing time in between Fallout 2 and 3.

Maybe it could include some of the Brotherhood of Steel and, of course Super Mutants, on their way east?